Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fish Camp, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has now been over a week since the discovery of this Supercharger location and my call to Tenaya Lodge on Nov 21st trying to find out more information and being told by the person I spoke to that she had no information about the new chargers, which was surprising given how near to completion they appeared to be.

Since that time there has been a lot of speculation but it appears that no one who has posted here has called Tenaya Lodge and asked if the chargers will be only for hotel guests or restaurant patrons (as the two J1722 chargers there have always been) or if they are public, and to try to get an estimate of when they might be operational.

So I just called Tenaya Lodge again. I spoke to several people and asked two questions: are the new Tesla Superchargers operational and are they for hotel guests only or are they for public use.

It appears that hotel management has not yet made much of an effort to inform the staff about the new Superchargers. One person told me she thought the new Superchargers were now operational and were for guests only, but when I pressed her on that -- and emphasized I was referring to the new Tesla Supercharger stations and not the existing EV chargers -- she admitted she wasn't sure. She then transferred me to someone in the reservations office and I got her voicemail and left a message. I called back and got to the concierge desk and she knew nothing but took my number and promised to call me back "shortly" with information. That was 20 minutes ago.

I will continue to try to find out something definitive.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: newtman
I got a call back from the Tenaya Lodge concierge. She told me she spoke with a manager who said that the Superchargers are not yet operational, they are waiting on Tesla to complete them not on the local power utility, and they have not heard from Tesla as to when they will be there. She also said the Superchargers will be available to the public as well as hotel cast. That is all the information she has right now.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and newtman
And now I just got a call back from the Tenaya Lodge reservations person who I left a voicemail for earlier today. She told that her understanding is that they are waiting for the local power utility to do the final steps before the Superchargers become operational and that Tesla has done everything they can do. This is different from what the Tenaya Lodge concierge told me just 20 minutes ago. In any case, the Supercharges are very close to being done but no one at Tenaya can say when they will be operational.

She also said the the Superchargers will be open to the public as well as for hotel guests.

• Informative
Reactions: newtman
There is reportedly a private supercharger in Las Vegas used by Project 100. Its colocated with the current LV Supercharger -- but on a different floor of that garage.
Upthread there are simply repeated bouts of you wondering if they might not be public, despite the fact that superchargers are always public. Stop wondering. No chance.
In addition to the private Supercharger in Las Vegas, there is a private Supercharger at the Amsterdam airport for a fleet of Tesla taxis and also a private Supercharger coming to Montreal, see Tesla to deliver its largest privately-owned Supercharger station to a taxi fleet in Montreal

Therefore, Superchargers are not "always public". But they almost always are.

Tenaya Lodge has always been very particular about who can use their two L2 charging stations. They will not unlock them for use by people passing through, only for guests and restaurant patrons. Therefore I felt it is not unreasonable to wonder if the new Superchargers in the hotel parking lot (which is for guests, not random passers by) might possibly be private and not public. You are welcome to your opinion that my concern was unreasonable.

I have now spoken to two hotel employees who have told me that the new Superchargers will in fact be available to the public. I consider that issue resolved.

I live in Fresno. A side benefit for me and for others whose travel plans are similar is that I can cross the Sierra late spring - late autumn over Tioga Road and wind up in the Great Basin. Tenaya Lodge affords an opportunity to drive into Yosemite Valley, up to Crane Flat and then across Tioga Road without stopping in the Valley.

Mammoth Lakes and Hawthorne should be doable from Tenaya Lodge going west to east. I would presume that east to west would work too for most battery sizes. I have not run the numbers to and from Topaz Lake.

So, this opens up another route to cross the Sierra from Fresno and points south.

I live in Fresno. A side benefit for me and for others whose travel plans are similar is that I can cross the Sierra late spring - late autumn over Tioga Road and wind up in the Great Basin. Tenaya Lodge affords an opportunity to drive into Yosemite Valley, up to Crane Flat and then across Tioga Road without stopping in the Valley.

My favorite road, Tioga, would love to be there now.

• Love
Reactions: McManX
Tenaya Lodge has always been very particular about who can use their two L2 charging stations. They will not unlock them for use by people passing through, only for guests and restaurant patrons.

As is pretty much the case for destination chargers at any hotel. But you're going on stated policy. If you simply pull up to the lodge and ask them to unlock the charger for you, they'll do so assuming you're a guest. They don't ask if you're a guest, staying over night, or just going to the restaurant. They just assume you are. I've charged there many times when passing through but if you're going to stay for hours, which you need to since it's an L2 charger, then it makes sense to patronize the establishment.

My wife is staying at the Tenaya tonight, I'll see if she can snap some pics of the chargers in the morning (likely covered in a good amount of snow if the weather forecasts are to be believed).

I live in the area and hope to pick up my new Model S any day now... this might have to be one of my first trips over the holiday!

Reactions: McManX
I decided to see how much energy it would take to go from my house to the Fish Camp Supercharger and back. We live 3 1/2 miles from the Fresno Supercharger. We have a 2014 plain vanilla S85.

I just used the navigation screen for the results. The round trip from our house would take about 34% of the battery going up and 10% of the battery returning down the hill.

This is really great for people who will be leaving Yosemite Valley via Wawona and SR41 to Fresno. There will be no need to detour to the Fresno Supercharger to reach Atascadero or Tejon Ranch, probably even in a 60. I also can reach Mojave comfortably (12-15%) from my home with a near range charge, so Mojave is likely possible directly from Fish Camp with a 90 or 100 if the driver watches his speed climbing Tehachapi Pass. To the Fresno Supercharger from freeway 41 is about an 8-1/2 mile drive west on an expressway with traffic signals placed every half mile and a speed limit of 50. The signals are synchronized so stopping at each intersection is rare. Then the trek south of SR99 is another 11-12 miles before it crosses freeway 41. The detour would easily add about 20+ minutes of driving time, plus charging.

Until Tesla places a Supercharger (assuming they will) around the SR198/SR99 junction, people heading into Yosemite will need to stop in Fresno before arriving at Fish Camp.

• Informative
Reactions: Owner and McManX
I decided to see how much energy it would take to go from my house to the Fish Camp Supercharger and back. We live 3 1/2 miles from the Fresno Supercharger. We have a 2014 plain vanilla S85.

I just used the navigation screen for the results. The round trip from our house would take about 34% of the battery going up and 10% of the battery returning down the hill.

This is really great for people who will be leaving Yosemite Valley via Wawona and SR41 to Fresno. There will be no need to detour to the Fresno Supercharger to reach Atascadero or Tejon Ranch, probably even in a 60. I also can reach Mojave comfortably (12-15%) from my home with a near range charge, so Mojave is likely possible directly from Fish Camp with a 90 or 100 if the driver watches his speed climbing Tehachapi Pass. To the Fresno Supercharger from freeway 41 is about an 8-1/2 mile drive west on an expressway with traffic signals placed every half mile and a speed limit of 50. The signals are synchronized so stopping at each intersection is rare. Then the trek south of SR99 is another 11-12 miles before it crosses freeway 41. The detour would easily add about 20+ minutes of driving time, plus charging.

Until Tesla places a Supercharger (assuming they will) around the SR198/SR99 junction, people heading into Yosemite will need to stop in Fresno before arriving at Fish Camp.

And the new supercharger in Groveland multiplies the possible routes into/out of Yosemite.

A couple of years ago, we received a near-full charge for our Model S (60) overnight using the Level 2 chargers at the Tenaya Lodge. It was a cold morning. By the time we made it to Coarsegold, we thought that we could make it to Tejon...which we did with only two miles to spare. There's a bit of an uphill going south from Bakersfield to Tejon and the battery drained faster than I thought.

So, while it's definitely possible to make the drive from Fish Camp to Tejon in a 60, you'd want a near-full charge, a warm battery, a light load, favorable winds, and keep your speed down. I wouldn't recommend it.