Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fish Camp, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for relaying your true experience, Doug. I sorta guessed for the 60. My wh/mile is 281, so I do not drive as fast as most other owners. And, yes, that 20 mile stretch south of Bako is deceptively uphill and chews up range.

I guess for 60 owners, they will have to make a judgment call whether to range charge at Fish Camp and take it nice and easy to Tejon Ranch, or stop at Fish Camp for 15 minutes (or bypass if they have enough charge) and stop again in Fresno for 30-35.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
I decided to see how much energy it would take to go from my house to the Fish Camp Supercharger and back. We live 3 1/2 miles from the Fresno Supercharger. We have a 2014 plain vanilla S85.

I just used the navigation screen for the results. The round trip from our house would take about 34% of the battery going up and 10% of the battery returning down the hill.

This is really great for people who will be leaving Yosemite Valley via Wawona and SR41 to Fresno. There will be no need to detour to the Fresno Supercharger to reach Atascadero or Tejon Ranch, probably even in a 60. I also can reach Mojave comfortably (12-15%) from my home with a near range charge, so Mojave is likely possible directly from Fish Camp with a 90 or 100 if the driver watches his speed climbing Tehachapi Pass. To the Fresno Supercharger from freeway 41 is about an 8-1/2 mile drive west on an expressway with traffic signals placed every half mile and a speed limit of 50. The signals are synchronized so stopping at each intersection is rare. Then the trek south of SR99 is another 11-12 miles before it crosses freeway 41. The detour would easily add about 20+ minutes of driving time, plus charging.

Until Tesla places a Supercharger (assuming they will) around the SR198/SR99 junction, people heading into Yosemite will need to stop in Fresno before arriving at Fish Camp.

You could also stop off at Buttonwillow or Bakersfield if you didn't have sufficient charge to reach Tejon Ranch.

We went to the Tenaya Lodge for lunch last week. I plugged in at the SC.

Tip for you travelers: It is about 14 miles downhill from the lodge to downtown Oakhurst. This segment actually added about 1.2 kWh to the battery.

This fact leads me to think that a full range charge at Fish Camp is unnecessary. A charge to 90-95% is sufficient on the larger batteries to reach Tejon Ranch or Mojave, as the first 20 miles or so from Fish Camp are essentially free.

Our return trip home used 110 wh/mile.

We went to the Tenaya Lodge for lunch last week. I plugged in at the SC.

Tip for you travelers: It is about 14 miles downhill from the lodge to downtown Oakhurst. This segment actually added about 1.2 kWh to the battery.

This fact leads me to think that a full range charge at Fish Camp is unnecessary. A charge to 90-95% is sufficient on the larger batteries to reach Tejon Ranch or Mojave, as the first 20 miles or so from Fish Camp are essentially free.

Our return trip home used 110 wh/mile.

And you'll gain just as much going down to Yosemite Valley. The only destination where you'll use energy is on the way up to Badger Pass from Tanya Lodge.

Very true. I have observed the same thing during the descent from Fish Camp (before the Supercharger was available) down to Hwy 99.

In fact it is disadvantageous to start the trip home from Tenaya with a full charge because you won't have any regen for any of that steep downhill. I would not charge past 90%.

Very true. I have observed the same thing during the descent from Fish Camp (before the Supercharger was available) down to Hwy 99.

In fact it is disadvantageous to start the trip home from Tenaya with a full charge because you won't have any regen for any of that steep downhill. I would not charge past 90%.

The results being:
  • More carbon added to the environment from whatever percentage of overcharge was from non renewables(on the grid).
  • Wear and tear on brakes because regen wouldn't slow the car.

Agreed, we experienced that on our trip down the hill... no regen :(

In reasonable weather, anyway. If it's cold (as it can be in the Sierras), you may be already regen-limited. For instance, if you've come off the charger and your pack is cold-soaked again.

I'm not saying that your scenario doesn't cover the vast majority of situations - just pointing out that there are some occasional exceptions.

In reasonable weather, anyway. If it's cold (as it can be in the Sierras), you may be already regen-limited. For instance, if you've come off the charger and your pack is cold-soaked again.

I'm not saying that your scenario doesn't cover the vast majority of situations - just pointing out that there are some occasional exceptions.

We left Tenaya Lodge with the battery charged to 95%. The outside temperature was hovering at freezing. By Oakhurst the temperature had climbed into the low 40s. We did have moderately limited regenerative braking. However, the grade downhill was not so steep that there was much need to apply the brakes.

For what it is worth....

Google Maps does not show Hwy 41 south of Fish Camp as closed. Nor does the Waze navigation app. So it appears that the road is open.

Google maps is behind:

Current Conditions

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 11.46.52 PM.png

and

Yosemite National Park Hotel & Resort Lodging at Tenaya Lodge

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 11.46.58 PM.png

It's being mentioned on KCBS 710 every hour.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I'm surprised that Google Maps and Waze show that road to be open. I went to Google's own California fire map and see the extent of the Railroad Fire.
2017 Statewide Fire Map

Incredibly, the Tenaya Lodge website homepage says nothing (that I can see) about the fire or that the lodge is evacuated. I had to use Google to search and find this page on that website which does talk about it Alerts: Breaking News on Current Conditions from Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

I just came from Yosemite and the Hwy 41 route out of the park has been closed since Tuesday. I had planned to charge at Fish Camp and exit that way, but had to exit 140 instead. That entailed charging at 2mph on a 120V outlet at the Yosemite Valley Lodge so I could make it to Fresno. Tesla navigation tried to route me to Fish Camp supercharger anyway.