Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Flagstaff, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many current supercharger locations are expanding as Tesla has indicated on their map. A gray pin identifies the city name. Looking back at photos in this thread I cannot easily recognize conduits left for easy expansion. If expansion does occur here at the Marriott it may be on the other side of current supercharger/distribution cabinets. If that turns out to be the case, Tesla will need to increase their pad size to position the new superchargers/cabinets/conduit runs. Time will tell. Is there anyone that thinks another Flagstaff AZ 'location' is imminent? If so, where? Travelers in the Flagstaff, AZ area please keep your eyes and ears alert for any changes/progress/new locations etc. Photo them up and post if you find anything. Many thanks!

Many current supercharger locations are expanding as Tesla has indicated on their map. A gray pin identifies the city name. Looking back at photos in this thread I cannot easily recognize conduits left for easy expansion. If expansion does occur here at the Marriott it may be on the other side of current supercharger/distribution cabinets. If that turns out to be the case, Tesla will need to increase their pad size to position the new superchargers/cabinets/conduit runs. Time will tell. Is there anyone that thinks another Flagstaff AZ 'location' is imminent? If so, where? Travelers in the Flagstaff, AZ area please keep your eyes and ears alert for any changes/progress/new locations etc. Photo them up and post if you find anything. Many thanks!

I did find it strange that there appear to be no plans on the new map to add another supercharger between Kingman and Flagstaff. At 147 miles, 75mph speed limits, and a ~3500 ft elevation gain, that drive is a haul in a Model 3 or even a Model S or X with a smaller battery. I believe Kingman to Flag is the toughest drive of any of the "completed" cross-country interestate routes. Twin Falls, ID to Tremonton, UT might be worse in an extreme cold snap, but they at least have a plan to fill in that stretch.

I realize there is not much civilization along that highway but in my opinion they should be contacting businesses in Seligman and Ash Fork until they find a suitable location.

Kingman to Flagstaff would not be for the faint of heart in a classic MS60.. but according to ev trip planner, an MS75 would only use 152 RM on that run, leaving almost 100 miles left. I would think the newer MS60s with 210 range or the M3 would be ok on this run.

I did find it strange that there appear to be no plans on the new map to add another supercharger between Kingman and Flagstaff. At 147 miles, 75mph speed limits, and a ~3500 ft elevation gain, that drive is a haul in a Model 3 or even a Model S or X with a smaller battery. I believe Kingman to Flag is the toughest drive of any of the "completed" cross-country interestate routes. Twin Falls, ID to Tremonton, UT might be worse in an extreme cold snap, but they at least have a plan to fill in that stretch.

I realize there is not much civilization along that highway but in my opinion they should be contacting businesses in Seligman and Ash Fork until they find a suitable location.

To my surprise, I actually found Barstow to Needles more difficult than Kingman to Flagstaff. The AC use really took a lot of energy and I used 88 percent from Barstow to Needles, driving mostly at 62 mph. Kingman to Flagstaff I did in the cool of the evening, so no AC, at 60 to 70 mph and it took 87 percent. Started out slowly and ended up speeding up because I was using less energy than expected. I guess AC use was roughly equivalent to the elevation change, FWIW.

Twin Falls to Tremonton is my most difficult trip at 90 percent and I'm about to do it again on Thursday. I'd have a lot of trouble with that one in winter conditions. Really looking forward to the fill-in Supercharger Stations around Twin Falls.

My range problems are exacerbated by my battery being down 13 percent (99 percent is just 180 RM) but Tesla service says everything looks fine from remote viewing so there is nothing they can do, to my ire. A range of only 180 RM makes long trip legs difficult!

To my surprise, I actually found Barstow to Needles more difficult than Kingman to Flagstaff. The AC use really took a lot of energy and I used 88 percent from Barstow to Needles, driving mostly at 62 mph. Kingman to Flagstaff I did in the cool of the evening, so no AC, at 60 to 70 mph and it took 87 percent. Started out slowly and ended up speeding up because I was using less energy than expected. I guess AC use was roughly equivalent to the elevation change, FWIW.

Twin Falls to Tremonton is my most difficult trip at 90 percent and I'm about to do it again on Thursday. I'd have a lot of trouble with that one in winter conditions. Really looking forward to the fill-in Supercharger Stations around Twin Falls.

My range problems are exacerbated by my battery being down 13 percent (99 percent is just 180 RM) but Tesla service says everything looks fine from remote viewing so there is nothing they can do, to my ire. A range of only 180 RM makes long trip legs difficult!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It sounds like the outside temp was a key factor in all of those drives. If you did Kingman to Flagstaff on a cold January night/morning when it was freezing in Kingman and near zero in Flagstaff, I'm sure it would be a struggle.

I drove Idaho Falls to Tremonton in January when the temps were literally in the 0-10F range and I was worried about making it in my S90D starting with a full charge! Granted I was going 10 over (90mph) and had the heat blasting, but I didn't have any passengers and had very little gear with me. I was in a hurry so rather than slowing down, I killed the heat for a couple 15 minute stretches near the end just to be sure I would make it. I'm pretty sure in those conditions, you would have had no choice but to make the long detour to Pocatello in your 60.

Appreciate the share. We are doing this trip next weekend in our X75D. What model is your S? I did plan out the route on EVplanner and it states we would use 64kwh @65mph and ac set to 77 with a 10mph headwind, which is 95% of our battery. I have to do the drive during the day b/c of the kids so cooler night time isn't an option, although we will leave early. I called a hotel in Kingman (Best Western Premier Grand Canyon) that's listed on all the destination charger sites but they said we can only charge if we are guests, and rooms are going for $280 at the time we drive through o_O. I can't believe with the elevation change that there isn't a SC in Seligman, so frustrating.

Thanks again and any more info is appreciated

Appreciate the share. We are doing this trip next weekend in our X75D. What model is your S? I did plan out the route on EVplanner and it states we would use 64kwh @65mph and ac set to 77 with a 10mph headwind, which is 95% of our battery. I have to do the drive during the day b/c of the kids so cooler night time isn't an option, although we will leave early. I called a hotel in Kingman (Best Western Premier Grand Canyon) that's listed on all the destination charger sites but they said we can only charge if we are guests, and rooms are going for $280 at the time we drive through o_O. I can't believe with the elevation change that there isn't a SC in Seligman, so frustrating.

I have an old style S60 and back then I think my full range was about 195 RM (currently it is about 182 RM). I would think that Kingman to Flagstaff in an X75D with ~95% would be fairly easy even with some AC use. A headwind is unlikely when going eastbound unless you hit a thunderstorm and they generally happen in the afternoons. As always, if you see your energy plot drop below 5% remaining at trip end try slowing down, or turning the AC off, for awhile and see if it stabilizes.

That hotel is in Grand Canyon Village, not Kingman, so there's the reason for the price! I assume you meant Williams with your comment and not Kingman? Since there is a supercharger in Kingman.

Anyway, have you considered a more leisurely trip on Route 66 instead of I-40, from Kingman to Seligman? The distance is further but the speed is lower as well. Along the way there is Grand Canyon Caverns, which has an RV park, and their restaurant has good pie. You may call them to see about pricing but my Kingman contact says they will do EV charging. The Hackberry General Store (a world-famous Route 66 stop) has EV charging as well according to Plugshare; it's rather close to Kingman if you just filled up there but if you just need a little extra to make it to Flagstaff it might work for you to add a bit of charge while you're stopped. You might also try the Route 66 General Store in Seligman which also has an RV park.

I agree that Seligman really needs a SC. As a Route 66 roadie I followed the progress as they completed that corridor, and Kingman to Flagstaff now is the biggest gap on the route.

image.jpg
I was at the Flagstaff SC today. There is construction underway in the Marriott parking lot next to the existing SCs. There is no Tesla equipment evident, but it sure looks like more SCs are being installed.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr and BerTX
Nice. While I've never had to wait in Flag, all 4 stalls have been full on at least half my visits there...

Paging @BlueShift
Not sure how you are handling expansions at SuperCharge.info... But I noticed the stall count is incorrect at your site. Currently shows 8 stalls, but this has been a 4 stall site since it opened in Jan 2014, soon to be 12 once this work is done,