Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Flagstaff, AZ - US-89

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I always appreciate new superchargers, we do need to be able to get to Blanding, to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, and to the Navajo reservation. This does not help.
Well…. A fast and reliable V3 supercharger along a key route DOES help. (The current Flagstaff charger is pretty crappy.)
But, yes, we really DO need better north rim charging, and a supercharger at Kayenta would also be a huge plus!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I cannot be more excited for this... The location totally surprises me however, as Flagstaff needs a much larger v3 supercharger so they can just close the existing one. It's not all that convenient, and man it's so slow. I'll take it, but I'm really surprised it wasn't right off of I-40, which makes me think we'll be seeing something else planned for Flagstaff soon. Very soon!

Reactions: Cyberjr and Sparky1
Although I always appreciate new superchargers, we do need to be able to get to Blanding, to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, and to the Navajo reservation. This does not help.

Well, as far as I am aware, the current v2 location sucks, and this one would be new, v3 and a bit closer to the your desired destinations, so yes it will help.
There's also one of the largest gaps on the Interstate network to the west, and that needs to be filled with Seligman, AZ but adding capacity and faster charging in Flagstaff would also help.

1668017699474.png

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I cannot be more excited for this... The location totally surprises me however, as Flagstaff needs a much larger v3 supercharger so they can just close the existing one. It's not all that convenient, and man it's so slow. I'll take it, but I'm really surprised it wasn't right off of I-40, which makes me think we'll be seeing something else planned for Flagstaff soon. Very soon!
Why close the existing one? Just so the new location will be crowded from day one?

Reactions: gene and JamesBond
A little excited are we? 😆

I don’t think the existing SC is terrible but we are definitely due for more capacity in FLG so this will be a welcome addition.

It is 5 mi closer to the Navajo Rez which helps as you’re often cutting it very close if you venture across the Rez in a Tesla. Driving south back into Flag is a long uphill climb and against the prevailing winds. Oh and the wind likes to blow around these parts. And at 7,000’ elevation it’s cold and we have blizzards. Added together these factors can creat significant range problems and stress when traveling.

The real solution to the problem is getting a few strategically placed SC’s actually on the Rez, which is unfortunately still a vast SC desert. Tesla promised a Kayenta SC 6 years ago. This would have been an ideal location for a first Navajo SC. Smack dab in the middle of a very popular regional transportation route from N. AZ to the Navajo Rez, UT, and CO. I drive the Rez regularly and the lack of infrastructure there really hampers my ability to conveniently travel where I want to go in a Tesla.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
A little excited are we? 😆

I don’t think the existing SC is terrible but we are definitely due for more capacity in FLG so this will be a welcome addition.

It is 5 mi closer to the Navajo Rez which helps as you’re often cutting it very close if you venture across the Rez in a Tesla. Driving south back into Flag is a long uphill climb and against the prevailing winds. Oh and the wind likes to blow around these parts. And at 7,000’ elevation it’s cold and we have blizzards. Added together these factors can creat significant range problems and stress when traveling.

The real solution to the problem is getting a few strategically placed SC’s actually on the Rez, which is unfortunately still a vast SC desert. Tesla promised a Kayenta SC 6 years ago. This would have been an ideal location for a first Navajo SC. Smack dab in the middle of a very popular regional transportation route from N. AZ to the Navajo Rez, UT, and CO. I drive the Rez regularly and the lack of infrastructure there really hampers my ability to conveniently travel where I want to go in a Tesla.
Tesla apparently gave up on Kayenta last year. Navajo Nation leadership seemed interested but the pushback from tribe members, in hundreds of Facebook posts, was considerable. My sense of the comments was that most were offended at the installation of a Supercharger Station for rich Tesla drivers when many hogans on the Rez don't even have electricity. The idea that the Supercharger Station would mean more business for Kayenta didn't seem to matter to them.

I've given up hoping for Kayenta and continue to go the long way through Gallup and Holbrook. At least Homolovi State Park makes a convenient overnight camping and charging stop on trips to Arizona.

Yeah I saw the FB drama from tribal members. It’s all upsides economically and environmentally, both of which are important to the tribe but maybe their leadership didn’t want to make the effort to explaining it or deal w potential political damage. Seems like it would be zero expense to them. DC Fast charging is inevitable out there as it becomes more main stream.

Reactions: gene and Big Earl
Why close the existing one? Just so the new location will be crowded from day one?

Sorry, in my excitement perhaps I wasn't being clear lol.... if they could improve the charging speed at the current one that'd be great. I charge there quite a bit, having my primary home in downtown Flagstaff and my secondary in downtown Phoenix, and having free supercharging on my MX. It seems more often than not I'm at a 57kw charge rate on a 150kw supercharger. There is often a wait, and when there's snow the drive up to the SC is sometimes (not too often, but it happens) inaccessible... or on the way down, it's slip-and-side time. Would much rather see something downtown, or where the new hospital is being built, or even at the Target on Milton.

With so much cross-country traffic anyone going to/from California and almost 40MM people living there, everyone to/from CA really *needs* to stop here, with Tucson/Phoenix having nearly 7MM people this is also the mandatory SC for those going up to Flagstaff or continuing, and quite a few people in Flagstaff having Teslas it's a good place for a quick charge.... although charging at home at $0.03/kwh from 10a-4p super-off-peak Nov-Apr is more affordable than charging at a SC I'm guessing.

Just seems that there's more demand for more SCs and in better locations on the east/west/south areas of Flagstaff, especially with more convenient access to I-40, I-17. Also, I'm surprised there isn't one in Williams yet, that would be a very obvious location for the next.

Perhaps there's a way to at least get the message out that the current FLG SC needs V3s.... or V4s whenever those will be out lol... just having V3s would reduce wait times and charge times significantly.

But in the meantime... yep, I'm really excited for this one. I'm in Japan currently and when I get back my MX will have a satin psychedelic wrap finished and I'll head out and take some pics of this new SC site from time to time. Perhaps it'll be open by end of January?

Reactions: Polly Wog
This is why I really don't like the existing Flagstaff charger... Even moved between A and B stalls, not that busy, I'm not at 80pct yet, have it set to 100pct but stop before that manually... And I'm at 40kW. Often at 57kW even at half charge.

I think this is common here from how long vehicles sit charging.

Is there any way to address this?

Since you said earlier that you have free supercharging, you probably have an older, ‘15-‘16, MX. The charge rates you get at the Flagstaff SC are common for these vehicles at all chargers after Tesla reduced the peak charge rate a few years ago. I have a ‘14 S85 and I was just in Flagstaff and Page over Thanksgiving, and even if the starting charge is below 50 mi, the max starting charge will be 75-80kW. Although having additional 250kW chargers in Flagstaff will increase capacity, it won’t improve your charge rates, unless you buy a new car.

• Helpful
Reactions: PLUS EV
Since you said earlier that you have free supercharging, you probably have an older, ‘15-‘16, MX. The charge rates you get at the Flagstaff SC are common for these vehicles at all chargers after Tesla reduced the peak charge rate a few years ago. I have a ‘14 S85 and I was just in Flagstaff and Page over Thanksgiving, and even if the starting charge is below 50 mi, the max starting charge will be 75-80kW. Although having additional 250kW chargers in Flagstaff will increase capacity, it won’t improve your charge rates, unless you buy a new car.
I have a 2020 MX LR+... just wrapped it, check it out. Before thar, had a different 2020 MX LR+, before that a 2016 MX P100DL+, before that a 2016 MS P90DL. So for all of those vehicles the charge rate has just sucked in Flagstaff... I was there again tonight and never got above 57kw. All stalls were taken. On December 23rd I was there and there was only 1 other vehicle, I was at 90kw for a little while. I've probably charged there well over 200 times, I know I'm above 100 recorded on TezLab I can charge up to 250kw, and have at V3s... I have hit 150kw here, but I think only once or twice. It's always so slow ... Just not sure how that gets reported. I'll charge all the way up to 335 miles if I'm wanting to go to Phoenix and back on one charge... It's totally possible but I get home after 305 miles of driving with about 30 miles left. There's 14,400 feet of elevation change and going down I take advantage for sure. One thing I notice... Going the speed limit takes longer to drive but saves me more time charging... Unless I get a V3... And I'm so happy about the central Phoenix one! Can't wait to try it! My signature wall connector trips all the time now... Used to charge at 48v now I have to drop it down to 24v to prevent tripping. Have had all the electrical checked out, screws are right. Wonder if they'd replace it ... But waiting for the Cybertruck shaped one, I'm ranked in top 2000 for delivery - or so it seems.

Reactions: SnowFlyer