TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Flatonia, TX

Discussion in 'Texas' started by emupilot, Jan 12, 2017.

1. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

A google search this morning brought up this nugget:

The article goes on to say that it will have 8 stations, so that would be a supercharger. The site is the northeast corner of I-10 and FM609.

• Informative x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  2. TMC Bubba

TMC Bubba Member

-------
    Only 35 miles from Columbus, why so close? There are 6 stalls at Columbus, the article says there are only two. Capacity expansion? Is Columbus that busy?

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

While more superchargers are always good, I also wonder why here? I can't think of any travel need that this addresses. I've never seen Columbus more than half full and I'm often the only car there. Being further west than the highway 71 exit it's useless for traffic to/from Austin. It's too far from Junction to allow traffic to pass through San Antonio on I-10 without having to stop at the superchargers which will be built at the service center.

4. TexasEV

After I posted above I thought of a possible reason for Flatonia. It would provide redundancy if Columbus gets flooded again.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

The drive to Junction is just 200 miles. Larger batteries could use that to skip San Antonio, whereas Columbus is a just-too-long 230 miles.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

odd - the article says that Columbus can only charge two vehicles at once.
    I'm pretty sure its got six stalls, not two.

7. TexasEV

The reporter got a fact wrong? When has that ever happens before?
    It's unlikely he's ever seen a Tesla or a supercharger. Probably was confused by someone telling him each supercharger (the actual supercharger cabinet) charges two cars, and he mistook that for the supercharger station in Columbus.

• Like x 2
  8. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I live in Texas and I still think "Flatonia" sounds like a made-up name.

• Funny x 3
  9. TMC Bubba

TMC Bubba Member

Made me look.

"The community, originally made up of Anglo American settlers, was named after F. W. Flato, a local merchant and one of the first settlers."

10. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Have stopped at the Flatonia Travel Center many times going to/returning from San Antonio, it's just across I-10 from this new travel center. Flatonia has a big chilli cookoff that's fun to go to, some friends competed in it a few years back.

11. Twiglett

I'm thinking more along the lines of them installing a bunch of L2 and not superchargers and the press getting the wrong idea.

• Informative x 1
  12. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

There is a mark in that area on the 2017 future Supercharger location map. I thought it would be at Schulenburg, so that traffic on 77 could use it, but apparently not.

13. Twiglett

Indeed there is, right there side by side. How odd.
    Maybe they have usage patterns from Columbus or telemetry from cars that indicate its needed?

14. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

The article never calls them "superchargers" at all, but with 8 of them it almost certainly is a supercharger installation. I would figure this is an opportunistic installation, where a property owner makes it easy for Tesla so they go ahead with it. I don't know how busy Columbus is, but sites with less than 8 superchargers will need to be supplemented soon anyway to prevent congestion.

15. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Columbus to the likely location of the SA supercharger is 142 miles. It is 107 miles from Flatonia. Probably made sense with more lower range cars on the way.

16. TexasEV

No that doesn't make any sense at all. Level 2 at nowheresville on I-10? The press gets things wrong but not that wrong. This is a supercharger.

• Like x 1
  17. Twiglett

Agreed - and since @BerTX pointed out, it looks like its one of the "coming in 2017" ones from the Tesla map.

as an aside, I resemble your remark suggesting my posts have to make sense, that's just outrageous.
    This board has a solid history of nonsensical posts and I'm happy to continue that tradition or else my sig wouldn't make sense either :)

• Funny x 1
  18. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

as is "Plano" and "Llano". I'm think of a few more good ones "Flatsville", Fort Pancake, "The Grid".

19. TMC Bubba

TMC Bubba Member

Oh, and let's not forget DISH Texas, the city that renamed itself in exchange for 10 years of television service and a free DVR for every resident.

20. wart

wart Member

Yeah, this is a weird spot. Luling or Seguin might make more sense if Tesla feels like they need something closer to San Antonio. I use the Columbus SpC quite a bit and I've only ever seen it full once, and that was on a holiday weekend. Over the long term I'd like to see SpC's every 30 to 50 miles, but let's fill in some of the bigger gaps first please!

• Like x 1