Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Flatonia, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Flatonia is almost ready!

I stopped by on Friday evening. The charging cabinets were up, pedestals were up, cables installed. Transformer and meter installed. There was a pallet of fencing material next to the charger cabinets.

I stopped again Sunday afternoon (today the 30th of April). The fence is built. Meter is still all zeros. No labels on the pedestals. It looks like all that's left is to do final tests, label the pedestals and flip the switch.

A couple of pics from today. It's 4 cabinets/8 pedestals. The one to the right of the fenced-in equipment (just to the left of my car below) is nose in. The rest are back in.

overview.png
transformer.png

Obviously nobody has actually done this, but EVTP says that it is 250 rated miles if you drive the speed limit. That might be a little close for comfort for many of us.

Especially the many of us with smaller batteries.

It is 199 mi. between Flatonia and Junction. I have gone from Sulphur Springs, TX to Tulsa without an interim charge, which is further (222 mi). I am certain I can make it in my P85+. In a few weeks I will drive from Cisco to Childress which is 191 mi.

Flatonia is almost ready!

I stopped by on Friday evening. The charging cabinets were up, pedestals were up, cables installed. Transformer and meter installed. There was a pallet of fencing material next to the charger cabinets.

I stopped again Sunday afternoon (today the 30th of April). The fence is built. Meter is still all zeros. No labels on the pedestals. It looks like all that's left is to do final tests, label the pedestals and flip the switch.

A couple of pics from today. It's 4 cabinets/8 pedestals. The one to the right of the fenced-in equipment (just to the left of my car below) is nose in. The rest are back in.

View attachment 225056 View attachment 225057
Wow! That's a lot of progress in 9 days since I was there!

This should get commissioned pretty quickly, since they can come from either SA or Houston. Should be this week.

Wow! That's a lot of progress in 9 days since I was there!

This should get commissioned pretty quickly, since they can come from either SA or Houston. Should be this week.

Yes, I was surprised and pleased to see how fast this went up once the actual work started. I think it's telling that they built the fence over the weekend. It puts some weight behind the "Charging Is Our Priority" blog post.

Reactions: BerTX
It is 199 mi. between Flatonia and Junction. I have gone from Sulphur Springs, TX to Tulsa without an interim charge, which is further (222 mi). I am certain I can make it in my P85+. In a few weeks I will drive from Cisco to Childress which is 191 mi.
Certainly Flatonia to Junction can be done, but there are factors at play that those other trips don't have, necessarily. There is a 1250 elevation gain. 1/3 if the trip is with an 80 mph speed limit. Prevailing winds are often strong, and from the west.

Just looking at road miles can get you in trouble, but just slowing down a bit can usually make up the difference.

Reactions: gnelson
They're up and working nicely. Staff inside Amigo's are nice but not very familiar with Superchargers at all. This is just off of I-10 on the north side of the highway.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Stopped by Flatonia today on the way to JW Marriott Hill Country Resort (They have 30amp outlet in the valet garage which runs continuous at 20amps 200v commercial power).

Anyway the supercharger (stall 2B) was blasting 98kw past 50% SOC. New is nice.

The Valero superstore had a decent quick food bites and very clean resteooms.

Used the Flatonia supercharger this past week as part of an 1600 mile plus round trip that involved using superchargers from Birmingham to San Marcos, Tx and back. Flatonia was easily the most user friendly! Having it at a Valero Truck Stop is a stroke of genius IMO! Conveniences were easily accessible and first rate. It's right off I-10 and the closest I've seen other than the superchargers on the turnpike in Orlando. I got some looks when I pulled up to the gas pumps after charging so I could clean my windshield but everyone was positive! My Tesla is an S85D and used autosteer over 85% of the trip (the exceptions were in construction zones of which there were a number in Mississippi and Louisiana-a few in Texas.)

I really hope Tesla reevaluates this stretch soon.

From the outer loop of Austin (130) to the outer loop of San Antonio (1604) there are now 60 chargers at 4 stations across the 50 mile gap.
Meanwhile, from the outer loop of Houston (99) to the outer loop of San Antonio there are 26 chargers at 3 stations across the 160 mile gap.

When traveling from east to west, (Houston to San Antonio), you either stop in Flatonia where there are 8 chargers, or make the entire 100 mile gap to the San Antonio chargers on I-10, and you've likely already come at least 100 miles since leaving Houston.

Madisonville is adding 24 more for the I-45 side, and Waco more than doubled in size for the I-35 side, but I-10 hasn't had a new charger on it (outside of Katy, which isn't useful when traveling from Houston) since Flatonia opened in 2017.

Last time I visited, we waited to charge, and I can only imagine with the holiday weekends coming up, this won't get any better.

Reactions: Electroman