Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Flatonia, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Buc-ee's in Luling is being replaced with a larger store. Considering Supercharger's have been going into Buc-ee's, perhaps Superchargers will be added when that's done.

That would be good. it's on US-183 which doesn't have a Supercharger before that point. First is Austin, TX 156.6 miles away.
Although, it's 103.5 miles from the start to the Buc-ee's, so annoying the location would still be over 100 miles from the start.

Honestly, any of the small towns along that stretch with a gas station along the highway would be a good spot. From what I've read, most gas station owners make their money from sales inside the store, not on the gas itself, so anyone in Marion, Seguin, Kingsbury, Luling, Harwood or Waelder with a V3 supercharger with 12+ stalls would grab a ton of traffic along I-10.

The gap is 100 miles across there, so anything to split that is likely to gain a lot of foot traffic from Tesla's, even with minimal amenities to offer.

Reactions: Jmolloy3
I remember when this supercharger was first announced people questioned what was the point of it since Columbus was so "close" by. But it's now my go to spot to charge. I haven't caught it though during a very busy time but another supercharger at the Luling Buc-ees would be ideal.

I remember when this supercharger was first announced people questioned what was the point of it since Columbus was so "close" by. But it's now my go to spot to charge. I haven't caught it though during a very busy time but another supercharger at the Luling Buc-ees would be ideal.
All depends on where one is headed. I’d be super happy with Katy H-E-B & Bastrop buccees (upcoming).

Going to go back to the 19” tires as soon as the 21s wear out. I miss the range.

Katy works wonderfully for going from San Antonio to Houston, especially as it's outside of 99, so you can go in to the city or around without a detour to the charger.
As for going from Houston to San Antonio, that Katy supercharger is just about useless as it's just a few miles in to your journey. It looks like 100 mile gaps are pretty common across I-10, but it just seems like this section would be more well traveled than say Fort Stockton to Van Horn.
This is nothing new as San Antonio has historically been last to get much attention, as DFW now has 8 or 9 depending on how you count them, greater Houston has 11, and Austin 14. Meanwhile greater San Antonio has 3

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Was here twice this (non-holiday) weekend. Both times at some point someone pulled in and had to wait for a charger. This desperately needs to be expanded, much like Waco was or this Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas season are going to be a mess along this stretch.
I know the Luling supercharger is 'coming soon' but by Q1 2023 this stretch will be even further behind and that will merely be playing catch up to an already known problem.

It's not like Tesla, see below, can't see this, as they threw free supercharging at everyone between Houston and San Antonio over the last holiday to charge at off peak times, and I'm pretty sure they aren't just doing that out of the goodness of their heart.
<Tesla offers free Supercharging to encourage off-peak charging during travels for holidays>

Buc-ee's in Luling is being replaced with a larger store. Considering Supercharger's have been going into Buc-ee's, perhaps Superchargers will be added when that's done.

This is listed on the Tesla map as target Q1 2023. Since construction on the new Buc-ee’s is slated to start this fall of 2022, I imagine it will be done when the store opens, although frankly I thought the large Buc-ee’s construction projects usually took over a year.
Our stores typically take around 12 months to 16 months to complete construction. We’re hopeful that we’ll start construction very soon,” said Nadalo.
from Buc-ee’s breaks ground at 407 - The Cherokee One Feather

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiceWare
This is listed on the Tesla map as target Q1 2023. Since construction on the new Buc-ee’s is slated to start this fall of 2022, I imagine it will be done when the store opens, although frankly I thought the large Buc-ee’s construction projects usually took over a year.

from Buc-ee’s breaks ground at 407 - The Cherokee One Feather
I am not seeing any signs of construction yet around there either...The new store won't be done before holidays 2023. But perhaps, since they are building on or next to the same location and keeping the existing store going during construction, they would add superchargers sooner somewhere separate to the store construction project. I doubt they are going to rebuild all the parking...

I am not seeing any signs of construction yet around there either...The new store won't be done before holidays 2023. But perhaps, since they are building on or next to the same location and keeping the existing store going during construction, they would add superchargers sooner somewhere separate to the store construction project. I doubt they are going to rebuild all the parking...
My understanding is that it is a new store built next door so yes the existing store would continue to operate. I hadn’t thought of adding the new chargers independently and still having them accessible from the new store. Otherwise that Tesla map target date is a head scratcher.

Starting construction “this fall” implies September at the earliest.

Last edited:
I've got to applaud Tesla. With the opening of 16 charging stalls in Big Spring, TX; there are now 24 stalls to charge at on the 170 mile trip from Odessa to Abilene - combined metro population: 510,610. Assuming the 8 stalls in Midland aren't useful for east bound travel.
Meanwhile, there are a total of 14 charging stalls on the 197 mile trip from Houston to San Antonio - combined metro population: 9,680,383. Assuming the 36 stalls in Katy aren't useful for west bound travel.
Great job on this one Tesla, and please whatever you do, don't expand this Flatonia location like you did an over run Waco station, your customers might think you care or something.

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
Clearly more San Antonio area supercharger locations are needed! Plenty around Houston.

The Luling location will help westbound traffic approaching San Antonio. They finally broke ground on the new store on Nov 16. These stores take around a year to build. BUC-EE'S TO BREAK GROUND ON LARGEST TRAVEL CENTER IN THE COUNTRY ON NOV. 16

But the San Antonio metro area itself is quite short of capacity - especially on the southern perimeter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cigar Man
This is probably the most disappointing supercharger on the interstates supporting the Texas Triangle. Today I tried 4 different stalls, and the most my 2022 M3LR could get was 38kw. I talked to other Tesla drivers charging their vehicles and they were experiencing the same. Tesla really needs to add more charging options along that I-10 stretch.

This is probably the most disappointing supercharger on the interstates supporting the Texas Triangle. Today I tried 4 different stalls, and the most my 2022 M3LR could get was 38kw. I talked to other Tesla drivers charging their vehicles and they were experiencing the same. Tesla really needs to add more charging options along that I-10 stretch.
Sounds like the original Austin SC off I35. Every stall was generally <50kW. Haven't bothered going back since about 2018.