Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Florence, KY - Houston Road

Skione65

May 5, 2016
Kentucky
I’m wondering if this was an issue with the quality of the install by the contracted electrician or something with the supply to the chargers of the electrical grid. Nevertheless for a semi-new SC these are down way to often. I wonder if there is a remedy to preclude them being down so much.

Ski

PCMc

Jul 1, 2016
Columbus, IN
? I navigated to the SC. Isn't that how you pre-heat it?
While navigating to the supercharger is how you trigger the automatic preheating, I have found that depending upon the ambient temp and how long the battery was parked (depth of cold soak), and driving conditions, it still can take between 1-2 hours of normal driving prior to reaching the supercharger to achieve maximum charge rates. There is quite a large mass of the battery pack that you are needing to get uniformly warmed up which can take some time.

Jtrader

Nov 2, 2015
KY
While navigating to the supercharger is how you trigger the automatic preheating, I have found that depending upon the ambient temp and how long the battery was parked (depth of cold soak), and driving conditions, it still can take between 1-2 hours of normal driving prior to reaching the supercharger to achieve maximum charge rates. There is quite a large mass of the battery pack that you are needing to get uniformly warmed up which can take some time.
Thanks. That helps. The car sat still at the airport for a week before I drove 3 miles to the SC.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
The car sat still at the airport for a week before I drove 3 miles to the SC.
This is not even remotely enough time/distance to pre-heat a battery.

I once drove 45 minutes from Park City Utah to the Evanston WY supercharger after parking overnight below freezing. While driving to the charger, temps were around 45 degrees, and my average speed on the interstate was 75-80mph. I still didn't get to optimum temps for supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC