Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Flossmoor, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
Local news coverage of newly planned supercharger: Tesla plans electric car charging stations at Flossmoor Meijer | HF Chronicle

Flossmoor Plan Commission meeting from 2019-03-21 discussing the matter (Item 4-B) : http://www.flossmoor.org/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Minutes/_03212019-383 [pdf]

What: New 10 stall supercharger (with approval for future expansion to 16 stalls) to be built at the Meijer in Flossmoor.
Address: 3800 Vollmer Rd, Flossmoor, IL 60422

GPS: 41.529391, -87.709287

@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

Kind of odd. There already is a SC just about 6 miles away in Country Club Hills.
It's likely that they can't expand the existing one but it either already does or is projected to need it given the numbers of Tesla being sold in the area. So, they need to find a new location that can also serve that traffic. Given their existing partnership with Meijer, that makes an easy process of finding a willing site host. So, the new one goes in at whichever store Meijer are in favor of which also best serves the population/travel corridor in question.

It's likely that they can't expand the existing one but it either already does or is projected to need it given the numbers of Tesla being sold in the area. So, they need to find a new location that can also serve that traffic. Given their existing partnership with Meijer, that makes an easy process of finding a willing site host. So, the new one goes in at whichever store Meijer are in favor of which also best serves the population/travel corridor in question.

That would be surprising. I know they have partnership with Meijer, but the other one has ton of space to expand. It is also closer to where I57 and I80 converge. If I was travelling I would choose the existing location. I have stopped at the existing location a few times I have never seen it anywhere near crowded. Now the one in Bolingbrook is always crowded, thus they are adding 8 more chargers.

The location they should be shooting for is where I80 and I55 converge. Really no Meijer that close to that intersection. Closest is 11 miles.

I'm guessing that's a little nicer area than the Country Club Hills spot. It's not quite as off the beaten path like the Evergreen Park location, but this location seems redundant and I can't imagine there's a great need. Hodgkins/Countryside seems like it would be a spot that would bring a lot of traffic with 294 and 55 all coming together.

Well, this Supercharger may finally be under construction, with trenching photos posted to Twitter a few hours. Still, there is nothing to confirm Tesla’s presence so we cannot say it is official yet. To follow

Photos by @DrJHootGibson on Twitter
C9ABDFEE-F21A-4F99-8C0C-5360FC934977.jpeg
769F4AD4-9EFE-49D6-B332-204A2732B8F6.jpeg
287BE7F5-1CE5-48AA-AEE1-8B176B44C880.jpeg
BD0628BC-0A6C-489E-A599-378C88AB069A.jpeg

Reactions: mociaf9
Well, this Supercharger may finally be under construction, with trenching photos posted to Twitter a few hours. Still, there is nothing to confirm Tesla’s presence so we cannot say it is official yet. To follow

Photos by @DrJHootGibson on Twitter
View attachment 509759 View attachment 509760 View attachment 509761 View attachment 509762
Yeah, that's definitely going to be it. Identifiable hardware should hopefully be on-site soon. But you can tell that those plywood patterns are for the V3 cabinets to ensure the conduit comes up in the right places.

Kind of odd. There already is a SC just about 6 miles away in Country Club Hills.

I've stopped at Country Club Hills, and it's a tough location to get to if you're going E/W on I80. While Flossmoor is still out of the way, it looks easier than Country Club Hills to get to and out of. And they've got their Meijer parternship to play off of.

I probably won't be visiting it too often, though, since Michigan City is finally open and is right along my main path.

Does anyone know of any news about locations in either Dwight or Rochelle, IL? They both show as future locations on the Tesla map, but no info on supercharge.info. During warm weather months I don't need them, but they sure would make life easier when it gets cold again.

Any more word on this one? Also, I'll be traveling through at the end of June. Would this or Country club be easier to get to off of I80, east bound on the way there, west on the way back? Looks like there's more food choices at Country Club.

CCHills is closer to the expressway off 167th street and does have a variety of food options. This one in Flossmoor is off I-57 at the Vollmer exit. To get to it from 80, you would take 57 South to Vollmer. It doesn’t have as many food choices, however it is in the parking lot of a Meijer. Either place you have to get on I-57 (North for CCHills and South for Flossmoor.