Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fontana, CA (LIVE 29 Mar 2019, 24 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update photos 5-27-18:

A_Bunch_of_Chargers.JPG
Finishing_Cap.JPG
Ready_for_backfill.JPG
Ready_for_Backfill2.JPG

Yes, great pics, better than mine taken 5-26 which I did not post. Great that you were able to get your camera above the fence. I was disappointed to see that the cabling from the transformer pad in the foreground to the distribution cabinet behind it was not complete. Usually that is done before the transformer is delivered. Perhaps it is being done this week.

It could be some time (several weeks) before SCE gets around to bringing in the transformer, which they procure. I have monitored the construction of 3 SC, Rancho Cucamonga, Riverside, and Lake Elsinore, but I have never witnessed the transformer delivery. For this size, 2 MW, it probably takes a small crane because it is so heavy, but the installation and connection to the high distribution voltage (as much as 30 kV), probably takes only a day if the cabling is in place. Inspection and Tesla commissioning should take less than a day each. Two MW is a lot of power.

For this size, 2 MW, it probably takes a small crane because it is so heavy, but the installation and connection to the high distribution voltage (as much as 30 kV), probably takes only a day if the cabling is in place. Inspection and Tesla commissioning should take less than a day each. Two MW is a lot of power.
I've always been curious to know what transformer capacity Tesla uses for these SC installs, but never got a chance to look at one of the transformers to find out. Thanks for solving the mystery!

As a side note, for us electrical nerds, distribution in that area is 12kV, so it'll likely be a 12000V/6930V to 480V/277V transformer.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I live nearby now, and I'm chomping at the bit for this location to open. I drove by 2 days ago, and they added more gravel piles. I'm assuming that's the fill for whenever SCE installs the transformer. A new pickup truck was parked out there yesterday, as well as an enclosed trailer, but nothing new to report really. I've seen SCE active in the area the last few days, so I know they're getting stuff done.

Since I transferred service, SCE didn't set me up on ToU for my new house. The cost of charging my car is crazy at home, so I'm using the nearby Superchargers until the bill cycles and can get back onto ToU. I'll give San Bernardino a try sometime this week.

Since I transferred service, SCE didn't set me up on ToU for my new house. The cost of charging my car is crazy at home, so I'm using the nearby Superchargers until the bill cycles and can get back onto ToU. I'll give San Bernardino a try sometime this week.
QFP.

This is for all the people who say that no Tesla owner would ever charge at a supercharger to save a few bucks! :)

Hey, I bought a car with free charging for life, so I'm going to charge for free, especially when the inconvenience is outweighed by the cost of charging at home (until my utilities company gets their *sugar* together next month). :D

Actually if you live nearby, there isn't going to be much inconvenience for Supercharging at that location. Pretty much everyone lives in Hunter's Ridge, Summit Heights, or Brentwood shops at that Target and that Stater Brother. A 30 min shopping stop could easily get 80 miles or so charge. And then there is that 24 hours fitness. You work out for an hour, you lost 1 lb, your car gained 120 miles LOL.

Except for Friday and Sunday evening, this location will be mostly used by local owners.