Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger for the Roadster (Elon said "No")

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to fix the bug that prevents Roadsters from drawing 70A from an 80A supply. Then a Model S to Roadster adapter would make lots of sense.
I'm a little confused. Perhaps you can help.

In the context of "making supercharger sites useful for Roadster owners" why wouldn't they just limit the amperage of the at-supercharger-site HPWCs to 72A? They're already doing that on the S HPWC at the Bellevue store (presumably for different reasons).

Car companies put their focus on current and future models, and discontinued models rarely get much attention.

It has been that way for all cars I have ever owned.

One way Tesla could make up for this reduced focus on the Roadster would be to offer their web service manuals and parts lists to Roadster owners. This is the first car I have ever owned where technical information, with the exception of the assistance of this forum, is unavailable.

To Roadster owners... supercharging

As a new Roadster owner I am somewhat baffled by all the complaining about Supercharger access that I see on this forum. Maybe I will alienate myself with this post but I feel it must be said. While I didn't buy new and pay $100k+ I still purchased my Roadster based on what it could do TODAY, not on the promise of what it might be able to do in the future. How many car companies go back and invest money to make a used car better? That's the most absurd concept I've ever heard. Consumers expect Tesla and other car companies to spend their R&D budgets on making FUTURE cars better and improving the technology going forward. If I bought a 2011 BMW M3 and a new BMW comes out that has better technology or more features than my car do I have a right to be pissed at BMW or feel slighted at all? NO WAY. It seems everyone was perfectly happy charging in their garage until another car has enhanced charging capabilities and then everyone whines. If you look at it from a technology perspective, early adopters ALWAYS enjoy the new technologies first at the risk of something better coming down the pipeline later. If supercharging is that important to you, quit your bellyaching and go buy a Model S.

This isn't a thread about whether or not Tesla should/could adapt supercharging for Roadsters. It is more a thread challenging/encouraging Roadster owners to be happy with what they purchased for what it is. One of the coolest, most innovative, new car technologies ever. I for one, hope Tesla continues to invest their money into the future to build a sustainable company.

It is my understading that a promise was made to Roadster owners prior to deposit/purchase just as it was made to Model S owners...that there WOULD BE Tesla charging stations across the country that would allow cross-country travel.

With the AC method of charging it certainly was never going to be as convenient/fast as the superchargers that the Model S can utilize, but based on what I heard/read somewhere on here Tesla has reneged on that commitment.

I would be happy if they just tacked on an HPWC or two at each location.

Edit:
Well apparently I must have dreamt it :wink:. It's not worth it to me to search for it, but somewhere on here it was discussed (or maybe it was propagated in the same way as my post could).

Last edited:
You heard wrong. No promise like that was made.

I am however disappointed that:
1) Roadsters still have a bug that they can not charge at an 80amp capable HPWC ( I know they are limited to 70amps - but there is a bug that makes them unable to communicate to an 80amp capable one )
2) There has been no offer to upgrade the charge port to the Model S style.
3) No HPWCs have gone in at supercharger stations for Roadster owners.

To PokerBroker there is a difference comparing the Tesla Roadster situation to the BMW scenario. With the BMW or any ICE vehicle you can always go to the gas station to fill up whether you have more power or not, or get better mileage. This is not the case with the Roadster versus the Model S. That being said all Roadster owners are aware of the mileage limitations.

Possible WIN, WIN WIN??

I am not sure the Roadster needs super charging. Traveling would be made MUCH easier by adding a Model S HPC and then selling Roadster owners an adapter plug to charge at 70 amps.

Tesla wins as they obtain some great PR at virtually no cost by supporting Roadster owners as an adapter could pay for the installs. This will likely help them move the CPO's as well.

Model S owners win as those who plan on charging for more than 60 minutes can use the slower HPC and not block a more expensive super charger slot. I have read a number of posts where people plug in and then go see a movie blocking others.

Roadster owners win by making roadtrips possible up from the current very-painful.

Say an adapter costs $250, actual manufacturing costs, but then Tesla sells them for say $1000. The extra mark up covers the cost of the HPC's and power. If 1/3 of the Roadster owners buy it, Tesla's "take" is ($750 * 600 =) $450,000. The Model S HPC cost $1200 so I am sure Tesla's cost is less than $1000. Add $500 to install as an extra set of breakers and #6 wire is not that much extra with all the other work going on for a total cost of $1500. The $450,000 would cover 300 such installs more than the number of expected Superchargers.

I am 99% certain the communication is standard J-1772 as both cars work with J-1772 with simple adapters. So it would just be a simple pass through plug. This keeps out non-Teslas from using the new service.

Let me know what you think?

I don't believe I've read a single post where existing Roadster owners were whining or complaining that there's no SuperCharger availability.

All the talk of SuperCharger for the Roadster revolve around 2 themes:

1 - Elon Musk stated that he'd like to do something special for the Roadster owners in 2014 and we've been speculating what that "special" meant. And we've been wishing and hoping that meant SuperCharger access. Not complaining.

2 - People asking if its possible to retrofit the Roadster to have access to SuperChargers and replies are always, "no, completely different technology and require a complete redesign of the charging system and probably the battery itself"

Based on what I've read here in the forums, Roadster owners are often the most passionate and involved bunch of EV owners out there. Far more than Leaf owners, far more than Volt owners and dare I say, more than Model S owners (probably due to demographic differences).

Yet another thread on this!

The answer to the fact the Roadster will never Supercharge is this:

1) Offer a Model S charge port on the Roadster
3) HPWCs at the supercharger stations for Roadsters
3a) Add a sign at those HPWC's at the Supercharger stations that says "Roadsters" (to keep the Models S' from plugging into them. At least many will never try and be disappointed in the speed if they do.

Considering they are at 27 SC locations now and we have been raising a stink since day one, literally I doubt this is even gonna happen.

As a new Roadster owner I am somewhat baffled by all the complaining about Supercharger access that I see on this forum. Maybe I will alienate myself with this post but I feel it must be said. While I didn't buy new and pay $100k+ I still purchased my Roadster based on what it could do TODAY, not on the promise of what it might be able to do in the future. How many car companies go back and invest money to make a used car better? That's the most absurd concept I've ever heard. Consumers expect Tesla and other car companies to spend their R&D budgets on making FUTURE cars better and improving the technology going forward. If I bought a 2011 BMW M3 and a new BMW comes out that has better technology or more features than my car do I have a right to be pissed at BMW or feel slighted at all? NO WAY. It seems everyone was perfectly happy charging in their garage until another car has enhanced charging capabilities and then everyone whines. If you look at it from a technology perspective, early adopters ALWAYS enjoy the new technologies first at the risk of something better coming down the pipeline later. If supercharging is that important to you, quit your bellyaching and go buy a Model S.

PokerBroker - a bit harsh, considering you either don't know the history or don't acknowledge the history. We don't need a lecture on what it means to be an early adopter. Roadster owners built the Tesla Highway along the West coast, used and enjoyed by owners and Tesla employees alike. People haven't been whining or bitching or bellyaching. We've asked for a 70amp charger to be installed at the Supercharger installations (hardly a big ask, considering that Tesla employees have used our installations for the past several years). We have all been active in the community, showing our Roadsters, promoting Tesla, showing up for events, and doing everything we can to support the company.

Original Roadster owners have been, by far, the most understanding owners Tesla could have hoped to have on their team. I'm glad to say it has been my personal experience that Tesla continues to treat us as 'one of the family' and acknowledges our role in helping bring them from garage shop to factory. Most of us are investors in Tesla and want to see the company succeed. I don't think there is a single one of us that would ask for anything to prevent that from happening.

I'm glad you're enjoying your car. Welcome to the community.

This has been stated before, but the technology in the roadster won't support supercharging ever. It would be a big and expensive undertaking to fit the Model S bits needed into the roadster. Can it be done, yes. Will it be done, probably not.