Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Forks, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. And you're from Bend, OR, so the counterexample that proves this is a gross over generalization is right near you. The route through eastern Oregon to connect Boise to Winnemucca on US highway 95 finally got connected with DC fast charging after years of waiting, by Greenlots, not Tesla.

Tesla is going to put a Supercharger at Burns to cover most Eastern Oregon routes. Winnemucca to Boise via Supercharger is 250 miles, which is doable with Model 3 LR (technically MR, but I wouldn't chance it), Model X and Model S would be easy.

Tesla is going to put a Supercharger at Burns to cover most Eastern Oregon routes.
Yep, they sure are--in 2016. :rolleyes:
Oops, I meant 2017.
Well for sure in 2018.
2019? Please? For real this time?
Maybe in 2020, but don't hold your breath.

Winnemucca to Boise via Supercharger is 250 miles, which is doable with Model 3 LR
Yes--doable but tight.

(technically MR, but I wouldn't chance it),
No, not really doable.

Model X and Model S would be easy.
o_O WTF? No. I have a Model S, and it's sure as hell not "easy" or anything close to it. It's white knuckling, and that's with at least an hour stop for charging included. You might want to specify more, where you are talking about only with the new Raven versions of those with the large 100 kWh battery size.

Look--it's just bad. No sense in trying to sugar coat it.

Yep, they sure are--in 2016. :rolleyes:
Oops, I meant 2017.
Well for sure in 2018.
2019? Please? For real this time?
Maybe in 2020, but don't hold your breath.

Yes--doable but tight.

No, not really doable.

o_O WTF? No. I have a Model S, and it's sure as hell not "easy" or anything close to it. It's white knuckling, and that's with at least an hour stop for charging included. You might want to specify more, where you are talking about only with the new Raven versions of those with the large 100 kWh battery size.

Look--it's just bad. No sense in trying to sugar coat it.
I have an S100D and it certainly wouldn't be easy in my car. In fact, I drove the downhill direction in nice weather and still killed the heat/ac, drove slowly, and stopped in McDermitt for an hour to be safe. I doubt I would even make it if I were going the uphill direction in winter.

Reactions: Mattzilla
I have an S100D and it certainly wouldn't be easy in my car. In fact, I drove the downhill direction in nice weather and still killed the heat/ac, drove slowly, and stopped in McDermitt for an hour to be safe. I doubt I would even make it if I were going the uphill direction in winter.

Amen. You learn pretty quickly on those long, cross country road trips that mountains and cold weather can make the EPA range more like EPA range / 2. Also significant extra buffer on what the trip planner estimates I will arrive with is usually a good idea. There have been times when it said I would arrive with 25% and I come rolling in with 4% or less (driving the speed limit but in high wind, cold, mountains, or a combination of all three).

Granted, I do know someone who has done the northward direction (downhill) in a P85 with no charging, but it was very hypermiling and arriving with only 9 miles left. Certainly not easy.

Aaaanyway, how's that on topic Forks, WA stuff doing? ;)

I don't think anyone is arguing that it can't be done. We're just saying that if you drive like a normal human being (5+ over the speed limit the whole way) with cold temps, mountainous terrain, and wind it simply won't happen.

You don't think so? Would you like to make a wager that I can't drive this route using my Model S?
Calm down there, tough guy. I'm sure you could do it. And I could too. But your previous post was making it sound like it was so easy that adding another supercharger along the way would be pointless. And that is clearly not the case.

Calm down there, tough guy. I'm sure you could do it. And I could too. But your previous post was making it sound like it was so easy that adding another supercharger along the way would be pointless. And that is clearly not the case.

Then you clearly didn't read my initial post. My argument was that Tesla is the only company that puts Superchargers in isolate places (in every state, in every region, like in this thread (Forks, WA). And I guess you equated 'easy' with 'comfortable'. Easy is charging to 100%, setting AP at 55mph, no ac, and getting there with 5% remaining. Comfortable is going 70mph, heaters/AC at max, stopping and charging 20% to 70% and singing to a tune on the radio.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and PLUS EV