TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Forks, WA

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BerTX, Jun 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

Location?

2. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

hmmm... Forks, WA

3. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

Wow, I'm genuinely surprised. Not sure they realize how incredibly remote Forks is, but I'm happy I'll never have to wait to charge when heading through there.

4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Yeah, I think I stated that in my original post. Everything definitely seemed in line with reason, and it did play out that way.

5. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

Fing remote man... Rolled from Aberdeen through Forks on partial charge in a 2018 MS 100D and arrived at the Sequim SC with 2 miles on the clock should have charged to 100% in Aberdeen... They know dude they know...

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

With I think one exception, they haven't built a supercharger site in the US with <8 stalls in about 2-3 years.

7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I see 3 just since the beginning of 2019 that only have 6 stalls. (Either open or in progress.) Even one in July, 2018 with only two stalls... So they are still building small sites. (Or at least they have been.)

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

In the US? Please list them.

EDIT: Never mind. I see two 6-stallers recently came online in Altoona, IA and Parkersburg, WV. That is definitely a break from the tradition of the 2 years prior.

9. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

#89 Resolute Soul, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    haha... you'll then be surprised to see the number of sites in 2019 that end up being 8 Stalls or less. Forks is 8 stalls... I'll entertain your bet against that fact if you're a bet man! Cheers!

10. im.thatoneguy

im.thatoneguy Member

It will be a little bit maddening if Forks opens with 8 stalls while Ellensburg still only has 5.

• Like x 1
  11. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

Smaller sites in higher density areas on existing power is super cost affective in urban areas and smaller sites in rural areas are cost effective as well. Larger sites with 10 plus stalls are more cost effective on congested routes or super congested major metro areas.

12. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

Dude, CLE ELUM!!!! Ellenburg has no room for expansion.

• Like x 1
  13. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Not quite sure what you're trying to say here, but I fully expect a lot of 8 stall superchargers going forward. What I don't expect is a lot of superchargers that are less than 8 stalls.

14. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Not at all really. Ellensburg was built in 2013 when there were very few superchargers in existence and many of them were small. Cle Elum has already been opened nearby which has many more stalls. Why would you want future superchargers such as Forks to be small like Ellensburg?

15. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Rural Nevada, Rural Idaho, pretty much any place with low owner density will have small stall counts than 8 stalls.

16. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Okay, but Lima MT, Wheatland WY, and Oacoma SD don't support this assertion. I get that they could be changing their strategy going forward, but there was definitely a 2 year period where they didn't build anything in the US smaller than 8 stalls.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

You've got an interesting definition of anything:

2/18 - New York - Mott Street, NY - 2
    7/18 - Alpharetta (SC), GA - 2
    10/17 - Brooklyn - N 12th Street, NY - 4
    4/18 - New York - W 75th Street, NY - 4
    4/18 - New York - E 47th Street, NY - 4
    7/18 - New York - 59 Allen Street, NY - 4
    12/18 - Walker, MI - 4
    9/18 - Atlanta - Peachtree Road, GA - 5
    10/17 - Spearfish, SD - 6
    1/17 - Ozona, TX - 6
    12/17 - Oshkosh, WI - 6
    3/19 - Parkersburg, WV - 6
    2/18 - Jersey City, NJ - 6
    12/17 - Bethany, MO - 6
    6/18 - Plainview, NY - 6
    5/18 - Hartford, CT - 6
    2/19 - Altoona, IA - 6
    5/18 - Estes Park, CO - 7

• Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

More than half of these are valet sites. Ozona is more than 2 years ago. Alpharetta is for service center use only. Walker was the one I was thinking of in my first post. Altoona and Parkersburg were already mentioned. Estes Park has 4 cabinets and probably just couldn't fit the 8th stall in. Hartford is also restricted by the size of the parking lot, which won't be the case in Forks or any other rural location. That leaves Spearfish and Bethany that I had forgotten were less than 8 stalls. So yeah my memory was a little off, but given that they opened something like 300 in that period, I think it's fair to say that superchargers with <8 stalls have been pretty rare in the last couple years.

19. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

So back to the Forks SC location... is there any permit/evidence of this location?

• Like x 1
  20. Araman0

Araman0 Member

I did a 5 minute search on the Forks website and couldn't find a way to search their permitting database. Sometimes smaller municipalities won't have the search feature easily accessible online.