Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fort Bragg, CA (LIVE 21 May 2021, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I 2nd the idea that Fort Bragg is really not much farther north from Mendo (esp. with the SC on the south side of town) and a nice place to visit. The shopping center has some food options, so would be a fine, cheap lunch stop. We took a nice walk from our hotel (across Hwy 1 from SC) down to the ocean/bluffs via Ocean View Dr.-- this is easily walkable from the SC and would be a very scenic bit of exercise while the car charges... there's even a park at the end and there appears to be a loop trail back to Hwy 1. That's what I would do in nice weather, honestly.
Thanks. Looks like we are getting an Airbnb in Fort Bragg for a few days.

Any suggestions for food? Probably do mostly take out unless Covid is gone in 4 weeks!

Last edited:
Reactions: bb95570
Thanks. Looks like we are getting an Airbnb in Fort Bragg for a few days.

Any suggestions for food? Probably do mostly take out unless Covid is gone in 4 weeks!
As previously mentioned, we had a good dinner at Cucina Verona. Food was not the greatest having just come from the city, but the service and ambience were really good. Seems like a big locals spot as well as tourists. Nice vibe. We were there in early November, pre-Omicron. COVID etiquette was ok but could have been better...

In previous visits to FB I've gone to Headlands Coffee (next door to Cucina) in the morning, which was solid. On a whim with a hankering, I popped into Lee's Chinese once for lunch and regretted it. Definitely props for the North Coast Brewery pub, but I haven't been there in almost 2 decades...

We went to Fort Bragg and had a great time. I have never seen sand dunes like the ones at the Inglenook Fen Ten Mile Dunes Preserve. Just massive.

The v3 superchargers worked great. The one surprise was the cost of supercharging. It was around 0.45/kWh. I figured it would be cheaper than the Bay Area.

I planned to go to Fort Bragg in 2020 but my trip to Point Arena was cancelled due to Covid restrictions. I am headed up there from Fresno in late May. I have never been to that area....this seems like the only Supercharger in the area. I would assume I would be using a J1772 around Point Arena. Took a look at Plugshare and seems I have some options. If you have any recommendations for places to eat or charge please share.
I bought a spare tire from ModernSpare and plan to bring it on the trip. Thanks for the tip to The Pub at North Coast Brewing Co.

Thanks!

David

I planned to go to Fort Bragg in 2020 but my trip to Point Arena was cancelled due to Covid restrictions. I am headed up there from Fresno in late May. I have never been to that area....this seems like the only Supercharger in the area. I would assume I would be using a J1772 around Point Arena. Took a look at Plugshare and seems I have some options. If you have any recommendations for places to eat or charge please share.
I bought a spare tire from ModernSpare and plan to bring it on the trip. Thanks for the tip to The Pub at North Coast Brewing Co.

Thanks!

David
We went up 101 then cutover on Highway 20 which is windy. On the way back we went down to Mendicino and took Hwy 128 back. There were plenty of Superchargers along those routes. We did not have to use Level 2 charging.

There are lot of places to eat in Fort Bragg. The ones we liked include Piaci pub & pizza, Off the hook Sushi, North Coast Brewing Company, and Noyo River Grill (in the harbor).

Have a good trip.

PS. I grew up in Fresno. Still have family there.

We went up 101 then cutover on Highway 20 which is windy. On the way back we went down to Mendicino and took Hwy 128 back. There were plenty of Superchargers along those routes. We did not have to use Level 2 charging.

There are lot of places to eat in Fort Bragg. The ones we liked include Piaci pub & pizza, Off the hook Sushi, North Coast Brewing Company, and Noyo River Grill (in the harbor).

Have a good trip.

PS. I grew up in Fresno. Still have family there.
Thank you for the great tips. Piaci pub and the rest of the recommendations much appreciated. Since you know Fresno I would imagine Point Arena and Fort Bragg weather is very different. Looking forward to the trip.

Fort Bragg Supercharger was as advertised. Great place to charge. We also used Chargepoint in Point Arena. I only charged there for one hour but enough for us to travel throughout the area. North Coast Brewing Company was great!

Attachments

• F96C41F5-CFBD-4843-BA05-66306CB223D1.jpeg
    F96C41F5-CFBD-4843-BA05-66306CB223D1.jpeg
    632.2 KB · Views: 97
  • F0BED100-2624-4894-B07F-2C3CE98BFA97.jpeg
    F0BED100-2624-4894-B07F-2C3CE98BFA97.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 0928026F-1743-429C-8D01-5C49B79B7A05.jpeg
    0928026F-1743-429C-8D01-5C49B79B7A05.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 74
  • 1C688CD8-589F-4C50-8181-E1F057B5AF92.jpeg
    1C688CD8-589F-4C50-8181-E1F057B5AF92.jpeg
    531.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 1B8B7DCF-4E05-4F4D-B6E1-AEC656294062.jpeg
    1B8B7DCF-4E05-4F4D-B6E1-AEC656294062.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 67
We've been to Fort Bragg before (for Glass Beach) but that was way back before we bought Teslas. Getting to Fort Bragg from Sacramento will be a cinch. However, I am a little concerned with our plans to do a day trip from Fort Bragg to Leggett and then Humboldt Redwoods State Park. Fort Bragg will be our "home base" while we stay in the area and ABRP estimates 40% to reach Humboldt Redwoods State Park and 40% to get back to Fort Bragg. This leaves 20% margin but we may drive around the State park a little bit.

Has anyone made the trip and have any charging advice? Our 2021 Model Y does not have CCS enabled so we'll be relying purely on Superchargers or J1772 stations. Thank you in advance!

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
We've been to Fort Bragg before (for Glass Beach) but that was way back before we bought Teslas. Getting to Fort Bragg from Sacramento will be a cinch. However, I am a little concerned with our plans to do a day trip from Fort Bragg to Leggett and then Humboldt Redwoods State Park. Fort Bragg will be our "home base" while we stay in the area and ABRP estimates 40% to reach Humboldt Redwoods State Park and 40% to get back to Fort Bragg. This leaves 20% margin but we may drive around the State park a little bit.

Has anyone made the trip and have any charging advice? Our 2021 Model Y does not have CCS enabled so we'll be relying purely on Superchargers or J1772 stations. Thank you in advance!

Looking at ChargePoint, there is a station in Garberville, about halfway between the two state parks.

The station seems to be in use right now. Someone posted a comment on 3/4/23,
having problem with the Cell connection and used the hotel WiFi.

Looking at ChargePoint, there is a station in Garberville, about halfway between the two state parks.

The station seems to be in use right now. Someone posted a comment on 3/4/23,
having problem with the Cell connection and used the hotel WiFi.

Thank you! I'll look into that.

There is a shell charger in south leggett and one in Miranda + chargepoint at the Benbow inn. I really like Branscomb road if you’re into windy roads& you can do the loop up 1 to the parks etc, down 101 to Laytonville SC then over to the coast near union landing 👌

There is a shell charger in south leggett and one in Miranda + chargepoint at the Benbow inn. I really like Branscomb road if you’re into windy roads& you can do the loop up 1 to the parks etc, down 101 to Laytonville SC then over to the coast near union landing 👌
Thank you, greatly appreciate the info.

I managed to pick up a still-new Chademo adapter from a local seller. Confirmed it works for our Model Y and feel much better knowing we can take advantage of the Chademo charger at Miranda if needed.

20240229_090049.jpg

Do have a recommendation for a place to stay in For Bragg? or any recommendations in te area?
We just go with anything rated 4.0 or above by TripAdvisor, something along the lines of a Holiday Inn. Nothing really fancy for us, just as long as it's safe, clean, and quiet. A couple of places are right along the beach or have EV charging on premises.

Reactions: Watts_Up
We are in Fort Bragg now and had a long day yesterday exploring Leggett, Avenue of the Giants, and Humboldt State Park. @Watts_Up, we stayed at the Super 8, which looks rundown on the outside but the room is updated with laminate flooring (no dingy carpet) and very clean, comfortable, quiet. We felt safe here. There's a Safeway a block way and V3 Superchargers a mile away.

We started yesterday at 9am with 98% battery, traveled a total of 225 miles and returned to Fort Bragg at 745pm with 10% charge. Highly recommend Mayan Fusion restaurant in Fort Bragg. The staff is very nice and the food is excellent. If you like seafood, the cioppino here is the best I've ever had, on par or slightly better even than the excellent cioppino I had a few days earlier at Luna Trattoria in Mendocino! Both cioppino in this area beats anything I've compared in Bay Area, Monterrey, and SoCal so far.

Cioppino at Mayan Fusion is full of fish, shrimp, clams, and mussels. Hearty and flavorful without being too tangy, salty, nor acidic:
20240325_202947.jpg

Cioppino at the reservation-recommended Luna Trattoria in Mendocino, also excellent in flavor:
20240323_172739.jpg

So from a charging perspective we made it fine, drove through the trunk of two tree landmarks and hit 5-6 other trails and sight-seeing areas (Living Chimney Tree, Gould Grove/Fleischmann trails, Dyerville Giant in Founder's Grove, Rockefeller Loop, "Hobbit house" in Redcrest). We made it as far as Drury-Chaney trail near the town of Pepperwood before turning back to Fort Bragg.

First drive-thru tree in Leggett, CA:
IMG_20240326_062402.jpg

The tree houses at Shrine Drive-thru Tree, in Myers Flat, were particularly memorable and fun to climb to the top:
20240325_124231.jpg
20240325_124628.jpg
20240325_124501.jpg

I didn't realize there's a Supercharger in Eureka, about 30 minutes past Pepperwood. Had I been more aware then we possibly would've reserved a night at the Super 8 in Eureka and continue exploring Redwoods National and State Park instead of heading back to Fort Bragg last night. But it's all fine, we will be back in June. We originally planned a three week drive up the coast from Sacramento to Seattle but decided to break it up into two trips.

So I managed to get a Chademo adapter last month, only to find out Tesla finally made the CCS retrofit available for our Y last week. I had the service done before our trip but ended up not needing either Chademo nor CCS yet. Actually, we were eating at Avenue Cafe (really delicious burgers here btw) and I didn't notice the CCS/Chademo charging station next door until we left the restaurant. I was kicking myself for not seeing it earlier. I would've loved using the CCS option while we ate to top off the battery (we were at 60% at the time), and doing so would have provided more buffer getting back to Fort Bragg and I wouldn't need to stay out till 10pm Supercharging the Y last night. Oh well, Iive and learn. I checked PlugShare, Supercharger map, and ABRP before the trip but wish I paid closer attention to where CCS/Chademo location was in relation to landmarks or restaurant names. I knew it was at a Shell gas station but after driving Teslas for five years I don't pay attention to gas stations anymore.

Last edited: