Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be fun - so it turns out that there are multiple versions of Golden Spike cocktails.

There’s the one based upon a Screwdriver (vodka-based - let’s call that the Golden Spike - East), and then there’s the one based upon the Rusty Nail (bourbon-based - let’s call that the Golden Spike - West).

May East meet West this afternoon/evening (for the purposes of historical research), and may there be much merriment in the land!

Heading out shortly from El Paso. Safe travels, all.

Have landed in Fort Stockton in pursuit of a bowl of caldo de res @ Tacos OJ. Note that, per Yelp, several other restaurants are closed on weekends.

Found the SC earlier and had a delightful chat with 2 oilfield workers who decided to ICE 3 spaces with their truck and were trying to figure out how to plug in. Nice guys just messing around who had questions. They were outa there in less than 10 minutes after we chatted. They might be back for a ride around 5pm.

While there is evidence of ICEing, all 8 stalls were open half an hour ago.

I’ll be back around 3:30pm.

5B7ABD7A-1A87-4AEF-87E4-B032C7BCFB3A.jpeg

Added more photos from Fort Davis and Marfa.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hiDmnVh5dYBiegt89

Can't thank @charliepmayer for all he did to organize this trip and for the advocacy to get the destination charges installed at Hotel Limpia,

I hope others will take the time to visit this beautiful pay of Texas. Reminder that Charlie is organizing another event in August and I encourage anyone who can to attend.

It was great meeting everyone. Thanks a lot Charlie for planning and hosting, with a big assist to TJ, for putting this together. Hopefully nobody else Eastbound caught the fog I did, I had to slow well below posted most of the way from Fredericksburg to Austin, it got nasty in places there. Then rain the rest of the way. Didn't get back until a hair after midnight.

Oh, FYI definitely try to book your campsite ahead at Davis Mountain if you want to try get a 14-50 site. They were wall to wall. I didn't even see the if there were any sites with 30A/120V plugs, although I didn't look that hard because I had no adaptor. Daughter and I went RVing "primitive". Went well, the fold-down bed in the back works well with a yoga mat and sleeping bags. Even with temp down into the 30's. My one oversight is I somehow unpacked my microcloth stash to wipe the condensation that built up, so I had to hit the Family Dollar when it opened in the morning.

P.S. I now have moved Austin SC into "Loath - Love", I'm so ready for a good Hempstead SC so I can easily keep a short route but skip Austin. Or I guess a nice big Cedar Park SC to keep most of the locals to the North would do the job, too.

Last edited:
By the way, I got pulled over by a state trooper right after entering the I-10W in Ozona. I got a warning for no front license plate. It was just a warning, not a "fix-it" ticket. That's my second time for that, though, so I guess I had better get that plate attached. (My other stop was some time ago, also after a supercharger visit, right outside Victoria, TX.)

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
By the way, I got pulled over by a state trooper right after entering the I-10W in Ozona. I got a warning for no front license plate. It was just a warning, not a "fix-it" ticket. That's my second time for that, though, so I guess I had better get that plate attached. (My other stop was some time ago, also after a supercharger visit, right outside Victoria, TX.)
Ug, your mad mojo rubbed off on me. :p On my way to work today I got a warning for leaving my front plate off. I might have to start going the slightly longer route out the other exit, that the Troopers patrol far less.

Trooper was friendly, suggested I get one those that screw into the tow hook. So he clearly understands the pain. :)

Man, a new charger and there is already a line... ;-)
J'Accuse! *points at* @TaoJones

He likely [accidentally] got his first idle fee. :p I haven't heard of confirmation on that, though. He wanted to take it up to 100% for the trip out to Fort Davis/Marfa and back, in case it got tight on charging out there with all the vehicles. With the ceremony going on and such he missed his "get off the charger" moment.

I don't know if anyone else got idle fees? I was a relatively late arrival and showed up with only 5% (two interrelated facts), so never got close to it. I was still only at 85% when I unhooked to leave after the ceremony.

• Funny
Reactions: Shaggy
Thanks everyone for coming out to the 1st Annual Golden Spike Soirée at Fort Stockton, Texas almost exactly 150 years after the original event in Utah, and thanks especially to Charlie for making it happen. It’s one thing to have a harebrained idea 3 years ago, and quite another to successfully bring it to fruition. Very nicely done.

Ample media and local dignitaries were in attendance and the event made it into at least 2 newspapers beforehand - looking forward to seeing the post-event coverage. The Mayor very kindly drove the spike into the ground with Chamber leadership on hand.

As you can see from the above posts, we had not only a drone but a spherical camera which I’d say constituted a respectable showing of very cool technogeekery indeed.

It was great meeting each of you as we filled the site to capacity and then some. We had about 20 people altogether who signed in and came away with commemorative golden spikes. And was it 11 cars? That’s more than attended the 1st Sound of Silence Black Hills Tesla Rally in Custer, South Dakota in 2014 (now the 6th Annual coming up in May), which bodes well indeed! From a 3000-range VIN original owner to at least one 100K+ owner to another top-10 SC chaser, we were privileged to have quite the group of kind, interesting and motivated owners and enthusiasts. Tesla should be proud indeed - maybe they’ll surprise us and we’ll see a mention at tesla.com/blog later this month.

The Hotel Limpia in Fort Davis 90 miles down the road was stellar from end to end; built in 1912, it has quite the history and the staff and local guests were fantastic. Was very interesting to meet the local historian (whose mother, Charlie tells me, learned to drive in a Baker electric car 100+ years ago) as well as the resident hotel cat (Limpia, who clearly approved of our presence). The bar manager excelled at crafting both kinds of Golden Spikes (and then wore 2 more hats serving dinner *and* breakfast the next morning) and our chef was also attentive and fed us beyond well.

I had to duck out early the next morning for a ~20-hour run back to SoCal (~1030 miles including navigating on the fly around Quartzsite, which was 100% down again) for Monday meetings but the group pictures around town on Sunday look really good!

Hope to see everyone again at the August EVent along with those who couldn’t make it to this one.

About those idle fees - heh - no indication yet that any accrued, but it’ll be close - maybe not - can’t tell if the algorithm accounts for cars currently charging or just cars connected. I did get to Van Horn with a quite comfortable 12% the next morning, which meant that my 100% (S90D) from Fort Stockton was good for 191 actual miles (instead of 276 rated, down from 294 new). Not quite as bad as a week of urban short trips (a full charge gets me no more than 130-140 miles regularly when stuck in town), but I figured there’d be a hit between the wx, topography, and generous speed limits, and sure enough, there was.

Last edited: