Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nwdiver: $15, for the night - standard rate - no discount. Would be a great place for an HPWC.
Swimming pool, little diner, shade trees.
Fort Stockton RV Park
In the meantime, this works for me. I need to do a little route planning. Since this is the only I10 gap left (assuming the Tucson-Deming-Willcox trio are happening in the next month or so since all three are now under construction) for my late November Miami-San Diego trip it seems I should proceed. I think the I-10 route will probably have quite a bit of long range winter travelers. Fort Stockton really is the only significant unknown leg in the entire coast to coast route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone summarize what size battery and speed is required to make it from ozona to van horn and vice versa? I think someone stated that evtripplanner underestimated the energy, i.e. Energy required was more like you needed to go 70 instead of the posted 80. So can anyone tell me how many rated miles are required at 80 mph? 70 mph? Thanks much!

Can someone summarize what size battery and speed is required to make it from ozona to van horn and vice versa? I think someone stated that evtripplanner underestimated the energy, i.e. Energy required was more like you needed to go 70 instead of the posted 80. So can anyone tell me how many rated miles are required at 80 mph? 70 mph? Thanks much!

The 2012 posting by Elon and JB is probably the most succinct.
Model S Efficiency and Range
Basically Wh/mi drop by 25% traveling at 80 mph rather than 65 mph. When in West Texas with traffic flowing at 90 mph efficiency gets even worse. With the prevailing winds range drops much more westbound than it does eastbound, as a general rule. There are other charts, Google will show a few.

The distance is ~225 miles. At 80 eastbound you will need perhaps 90 kWh and westbound perhaps 115 kWh. Winds and inclement weather can increase that energy consumption dramatically.

Consequently a standard practice is to draft rapidly traveling large vehicles, trucks or suv’s. That can reduce wind resistance by 30% or more. That risks rock damage or worse if not done with high care. One need not ‘tailgate’ to get the benefit.

Bluntly, at normal West Texas speeds and conditions you need at least a 100 plus judicious drafting to make the trip at posted limits. During at 60 mph or somto make it is possible but excruciating!

As for me I’ll stop at Fort Stockton for an overnight charge and drive at normal speeds.

Reactions: rpez021
With Willcox, AZ now under construction, Fort Stockton is now the weak/last link in the chain 3 years after the I-10 transcontinental Route was first forecast.

We’ve all gotten the same form letter response this past week about Tesla now actively scouting locations - an activity which tends to pre-date the issuance of a permit.

There are 2 crews working down the road (Deming, Willcox).

Hmmmmmm.

There are at least four ways to make it from Van Horn to Ozona:

** Direct via Ft. Stockton, traveling at 60 -- 65 mph (or slower), without stopping for supplemental charge @ Ft. Stockton RV Park. Weather and winds can take extra energy you had anticipated for driving range.
** Direct, traveling at posted speeds and drafting (mostly) larger vehicles
** Direct, traveling at posted speeds, stopping for supplemental charge @ Ft. Stockton RV Park
** Indirect via Midland Supercharger, traveling at posted speeds. 186 miles Midland to Van Horn, 119 miles Midland to Ozona. Weather and winds might still impact/restrict range for 186 mile leg of journey.

Currently, Tucson SC is OPEN
Deming and Wilcox SC have started construction

The Disney Land to Disney World route on I-10 is about to go LIVE.

There are at least four ways to make it from Van Horn to Ozona:

** Direct via Ft. Stockton, traveling at 60 -- 65 mph (or slower), without stopping for supplemental charge @ Ft. Stockton RV Park. Weather and winds can take extra energy you had anticipated for driving range.
** Direct, traveling at posted speeds and drafting (mostly) larger vehicles
** Direct, traveling at posted speeds, stopping for supplemental charge @ Ft. Stockton RV Park
** Indirect via Midland Supercharger, traveling at posted speeds. 186 miles Midland to Van Horn, 119 miles Midland to Ozona. Weather and winds might still impact/restrict range for 186 mile leg of journey.

Currently, Tucson SC is OPEN
Deming and Wilcox SC have started construction

The Disney Land to Disney World route on I-10 is about to go LIVE.

Lol. It’s a shame this is simply misrepresentative and at best sub-optimal.

First of all, driving under 60mph on the interstate and drafting trucks isn’t safe.

Second, stopping at an RV park is not SC-enabled travel. Nothing going live there that couldn’t have (and was) done 5 years ago with L2s and wall outlets.

Finally, heading east is one thing. Heading west across the same ground is quite another, due in part to elevation and wind.

Unless and until Fort Stockton, neglected for years now in the SC game (see 315 day-old permit), joins the party, there is no transcontinental I-10 SC route.

There will be an I-10/I-20 route (see the dogleg via Midland), but again, if my aunt had nads, she’d be my uncle.

The sooner the Supercharger team takes care of business in Fort Stockton, the sooner there will be a transcontinental route without detours and without the need for snow tires or chains year-round.

And not before.

• Funny
Reactions: donauker and BerTX
FWIW I've made it from Ozona to Van Horn in an S-P100D at 80mph starting at 100% SoC, though there's not a lot of margin.

We've done both directions in our 12/16 delivered MS 90D. Westbound is more energy intensive due to elevation changes and prevailing winds. Worst case out of two westbound trips was arriving at Van Horn with sixteen miles left. It does help to heed the speed warnings the car gives you, to keep a comfortable margin. I'm sure it would be far more dicey with a smaller battery. Of course, don't leave Ozona until absolutely, fully charged.

FWIW I've made it from Ozona to Van Horn in an S-P100D at 80mph starting at 100% SoC, though there's not a lot of margin.
Just to clarify. That was westbound? What was the weather? Did you draft anyone?
My own calculations have been theoretical. While I’ve had some pretty good results, none of mine have been at such high speeds westbound, nor with S-P100D. I have had 234 miles from a S75 and 251 from a P85DL, both eastbound, both drafting. Thus your results are extremely interesting and impressive. There is the 1700 foot altitude loss, though, which might compensate completely for the other factors.

Until we get Fort Stockton such calculations must be part of daily life, I suppose.

Venturing into the "had I known then what I know now" territory, we all should have crowd sourced a chademo charger like this one and donated it to a local business for install in Ft Stockton. :D
or even induced Tesla to donate a Destination Charger+Clipper Creek to a local hotel. If they did 80 amps we'd have a non-CHAdeMO option. I wonder if Tesla is really progressing with Supercharger or whether we should pursue another option?

or even induced Tesla to donate a Destination Charger+Clipper Creek to a local hotel. If they did 80 amps we'd have a non-CHAdeMO option. I wonder if Tesla is really progressing with Supercharger or whether we should pursue another option?
It has been a while since I have seen a hotel with a Destination Charger that doesn't require a stay at the hotel. I don't need a hotel 5 hours from my house, nor do I want to spend hours charging at a Destination Charger.
Venturing into the "had I known then what I know now" territory, we all should have crowd sourced a chademo charger like this one and donated it to a local business for install in Ft Stockton. :D
I like the CHAdeMO idea. I wonder if there would be a way to mount one on a trailer and move it to locations where there are Supercharger gaps until the gap is filled. I guess finding a temporary transformer to hook it to would be unlikely... Seems like something Tesla could do.

Not to derail the talk specifically of the I-10 corridor, but I'm looking at Spring Break plans. Thinking about Big Bend. Has anyone ventured that direction. Any advice as to availability of 30Amp-50Amp hookup availability in the National or State parks out that way? RV Parks with cabins available for an overnight?

Fort Stockton is about 100 miles. Marfa is roughly the same, but I'm coming from DFW so it is a bit further out of the way. Marfa does have one destination charger.

It has been a while since I have seen a hotel with a Destination Charger that doesn't require a stay at the hotel. I don't need a hotel 5 hours from my house, nor do I want to spend hours charging at a Destination Charger.

I like the CHAdeMO idea. I wonder if there would be a way to mount one on a trailer and move it to locations where there are Supercharger gaps until the gap is filled. I guess finding a temporary transformer to hook it to would be unlikely... Seems like something Tesla could do.
Tesla has temporary Superchargers, often found in seasonally dense area. One of these, even a two stall one, would make the Fort Stockton wait tolerable.
Most hotels I know have allowed me to use their chargers without staying there, often they are happy to do so if you just take a meal- of course that would not work at the Fort Stockton Fairfield Inn.
The CHAdeMO would work well for many of us who have adapters. If we crowdsourced the charger we could just add an adapter, assuming it would be located somewhere that could manage the lending. My guess is that by the time we'd do all that teal would already have a Supercharger.