Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a traveler, even though I'm a Best Western rewards member (pet friendly!), I'm hoping for Flying J, too. 24/7 access to fluids, calories, and toilets is important to me.
It's heartening to finally see some discernable movement here, even though it's preliminary.

At least there's food within walking distance of the Best Western. That needs to be a go/no-go for ALL SCs. The scout need to stand at the proposed site... and hold their breath. If he can't make it to a restaurant without passing out then the site is NO GOOD!

I curse who ever chose the SC site in Las Vegas NM every... time.... I'm.... there :(

At least there's food within walking distance of the Best Western. That needs to be a go/no-go for ALL SCs. The scout need to stand at the proposed site... and hold their breath. If he can't make it to a restaurant without passing out then the site is NO GOOD!

I curse who ever chose the SC site in Las Vegas NM every... time.... I'm.... there :(
Food for thought?

stopped by Flying J on the way back from Davis Mountains State Park
As expected there is no excavation going on :)
Did see an adventurous 100D up at McDonald Observatory over the weekend though, so some folks do it.....
Our MS60D was there last summer. Charged for a couple of hours at the city park in Balmorhea on the way there, then reserved a campground site for charging the car and stayed in the Indian Lodge.

We’re just looking at a trip there. Worth it?

I know, off topic. But not much to discuss on Ft Stockton charger so...
When I was a kid, we'd go camping there and I had always wanted to stay in the Lodge.

We enjoyed it very much. We went when the weather was cool but not cold. My wife enjoyed photographing the stars. The Lodge was good, but I have no idea what they are doing to it, so can't really comment on that except to say it was very relaxing, which I'm sure it still will be. We'll go back.

It is a bit of a hike from the Lodge to the campground where the car was charging. I had a folding bike, which worked well except for some of the extreme uphills. We just had a 30A site, but that was enough for what we had planned. We went to the Observatory, then up to Van Horn to visit the (then new) Supercharger. We then came back for a second night at the Lodge, then home.

The trip back through Ozona and Junction was much easier than the westward trip -- all downhill. This will be much easier once the Fort Stockton SC is open. (there, now we're on topic)

@charliepmayer is very familiar with that area, a great resource...

Pic from the FJ in Ft Stockton today. Utility markers a-many. One lonely marker at the BW. No other activity at the BW.
FJ was a zoo with all the holiday traffic.
FtStocktonFJ112617.JPG

Happy anniversary.
Tomorrow will be the 1st anniversary of the Fort Stockton permit. Is this possibly a new record for longest time in permit?

That’s a great question - although Santa Barbara may have given it a run for its money before that permit disappeared from supercharge.info.

Until Fort Stockton is done, we don’t have an end-to-end transcontinental route (I-10) devoid of the need for chains and/or snow tires year round. It’s close, (see brief I-20 dogleg via Midland) but no SEE-gar now heading into a FOURTH year.

Next up will be Elon’s claim of lighting up the Alaskan Highway “in a couple of years” from late 2016 or early 2017 or whenever he promised that. Zero activity upon that front as well.