Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cruised through Fort Stockton today: no activity at the truck stops or on hotel row.

I did receive a personal letter from U. S. Senator Ted Cruise. He noted the issue and forwarded my letter to the State Senator and Representative in Fort Davis.

BerTX: no help in Balmorhea:
View attachment 281245 View attachment 281246
Uh oh. A personal letter from Ted Cruz. They'll probably hold the permit for another year for sure after that. :(

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq
Maybe we could start an efficiency competition for this leg for those traveling in either direction, East and West. Total kWh used from Supercharger to Supercharger.

1 Total kWh used
2 Freeway Speed on AP
3 Number of miles drafting Semi
4 Wind Speed, Direction
5 Total time for Trip

Feel free to add other important Data Points you think are important.

I think something like this will help bring more awareness to the necessity of finding a solution to this GAP in the Supercharger network. If enough of you that use this route are able to report this data we can ask the MODERATORS to move it to its own thread. Until then, we can see it here.

Thanks much for your input.

I've found that even drafting a car on AP-1 saves a lot of energy. going 80ish I'll only use about 330m/kwh I think at 93mph with AP-1 I was into the 350s. I also notice that even staying at setting 1, the following distance increases with the speed.

I've found that even drafting a car on AP-1 saves a lot of energy. going 80ish I'll only use about 330m/kwh I think at 93mph with AP-1 I was into the 350s. I also notice that even staying at setting 1, the following distance increases with the speed.
People think the "distance" setting actually sets the following distance, but it appears that the program is designed to maintain a set amount of time to the car in front. That's why it will stop only a few feet from the car in front in stop & go traffic, and at high speeds maintain a much greater distance. I often count the seconds between me and the car in front and the times seen fairly consistent over a range of speeds. That way it adjusts for stopping distance based upon speed. Anyone else observed this?

People think the "distance" setting actually sets the following distance, but it appears that the program is designed to maintain a set amount of time to the car in front. That's why it will stop only a few feet from the car in front in stop & go traffic, and at high speeds maintain a much greater distance. I often count the seconds between me and the car in front and the times seen fairly consistent over a range of speeds. That way it adjusts for stopping distance based upon speed. Anyone else observed this?
TACC in nearly all vehicles is built with time in seconds from vehicle ahead as core logic. Anything else would be impractical and/or dangerous.
Tesla describes that in fewer words here:
Traffic-aware Cruise Control - Tesla Model S Owner's Manual [Page 60]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GaryW
Reactions: jbcarioca
Spoke with Herb Rabinowitz (Manager) and Christy (attendant?) at Fort Stockton RV Park today.
According to Christy, four of us have charged there so far. (Herb's nephew in Seattle owns a Tesla).
I sent a letter to Herb and Christy and forwarded the appropriate information to the Charging Partners / Tesla site along with a note and my contact information. Herb already has a spot picked out to put the HPWC. I did advise him that it would be best served by a 100 amp breaker, and I gave him a short history of the proposed Tesla SC in Fort Stockton.
Fort Stockton electricity rates here:
Texas Electric Rates in Fort Stockton | Choose your Power!

Last edited:
Looks like the rates range from $0.08 to $0.11 per kWh.

Therefore paying $1.00 per hour pays for the electricity and a small profit. Anything greater is just more profit.

I wonder if they would consider letting Tesla drivers to just pay a small fee per hour of charge? Whether it is a NEMA 14-50 or the Tesla HPWC, most Tesla drivers visiting the RV Park will only be there for 1 or 2 hours, just enough to get them to the next Supercharger.

Anyone have a recent Tesla Supercharger Team response to this weakest link in the chain problem now going on 4 years since I-10 as a transcontinental route was first announced?

From a pure supercharging perspective, this is worse than bad - people can get stranded easily in either direction, but more so westbound.

Yes, there's the detour through Midland - just what one wants to do in the middle of a 52-hour run from LA to Key West.

Kudos to those who have written to various FIC (folks in charge) and who have gotten anything other than form letter pablum in response.

About drafting - there is no way I would do it. I pick up enough rock chips in the new fascia (triple what I got with the old nosecone style - and in half the mileage) that I don't need any more from drafting. More power to ya if you do - I wouldn't even do it with a wrap - although out of curiosity it would be an interesting exercise just to see how good current wraps are with the self-healing thing and all of that.

Just not that curious.

This remaining stretch of Texas just makes me even more annoyed about getting bait and switched out of a 100D into a 90D; will spare youse that tale. I don't think I'll have a problem in a 90D in either direction, based upon the reports above; any obligatory slowing down is just going to piss me off, however. I don't mind arriving wherever with 2-3% remaining, but this is one case where the extra 10% efficiency of a 100D over a 90D (as bolstered by countless evtripplanner.com trip estimates) would be hugely helpful. Bah.

Luckily, we have solutions coming even without needing an SC at FS. A Roadster v2.0 or Semi should handle that gap just fine *polite cough*. Talk about throwing money at a problem. Puts that $5-$15 and an hour at an RV park right into proper perspective, eh? :).

It's true what they say - the last mile really is the toughest. Could be worse - at least we have options. Doesn't excuse the delay/stonewalling, however. I'd like to see some actual leadership from the Tesla Supercharger Team and an escalation and response from senior management sooner than later. There's an opportunity for a creative solution - either cooperative for local benefit, or adversarial as necessary, here for sure.

Spoke with Herb Rabinowitz (Manager) and Christy (attendant?) at Fort Stockton RV Park today.
According to Christy, four of us have charged there so far. (Herb's nephew in Seattle owns a Tesla).
I sent a letter to Herb and Christy and forwarded the appropriate information to the Charging Partners / Tesla site along with a note and my contact information. Herb already has a spot picked out to put the HPWC. I did advise him that it would be best served by a 100 amp breaker, and I gave him a short history of the proposed Tesla SC in Fort Stockton.
I wonder if a SC would work here? No food options, but they probably have restrooms, but most importantly well outside the city. At least if there's a problem you would have a contact who might tell you why...

BTW, thanks for working on the destination charger. I'm going that way in May and was going to spin the wheel in balmorhea to see if I could charge. This would be much less stressful.

Reactions: jbcarioca
BerTX: thank you. I lost patience with the current situation. Been waiting 4 years. Might not have that many years left in me!
Yes, far enough outside of city limits for progress - I hope.

There is a Cafe with enthusiastic people at the RV park - not gourmet (but nothing in FS is gourmet) - might be grills around to cook your own. Pool. Hiking trail. Nice people that want us there - something to consider. Manager was very positive - appreciate that attitude.
Nice clean restrooms - showers available, too. Next time out we plan to eat at the cafe and jump in the pool before heading out.
Will post pics.

Hey, Herb's Tesla-owning nephew in Seattle - you listening?

Supercharger location: as good as Ozona or Flatonia or maybe better. If the RV Park put in a couple of overnight rental trailers or cabins would be great. Interesting area as long as you have the right attitude. Gives you some perspective.

Still have a couple of locations in Balmorhea to work on.
If you are heading south from Balmorhea, HPWC in Balmorhea would be good for Big Bend explorers.

Why haven't Tesla people been out here pushing destination chargers? Heck, I'll do it for free. Oh wait - I already am.

How did El Cosmico in Marfa get done? Anybody know? Great destination - if you can get there.

When my alternative is to take a detour that is an extra 400 miles, or stop for L-2 charging for 2 hours, or just drive 55 mph, I think the best option is to just slow down and enjoy the ride for an extra hour, from 3 hours to 4 hours. Would still stop for a few minutes in FS for restroom, stretch, maybe get something to eat. According to EVTripPlanner it will only use 51 kWh at the slower speed. Would still give us a 20 kWh reserve and save a slow charging stop along the route.

Graffi, thank you for your comments. I think you'll find it a bit nerve-wracking when you are going 55 and everyone else is blasting by at 85 giving you the finger. Also reflects poorly about EVs in general. Not giving up yet on an SC - or maybe we can replicate the Iraan J1772?
If we can get HPWC even better, but IRAAN-style works. if we need crowdsourcing for anything count me in. Even a CHAdeMO would be fine by me, although upcoming Model 3 users could not yet use it.

Thanks for following up with this. I think Tesla should try to get a handful of HPWC out there to be available. If nothing else, for backup.

Looks like the rates range from $0.08 to $0.11 per kWh.

Therefore paying $1.00 per hour pays for the electricity and a small profit. Anything greater is just more profit.

I wonder if they would consider letting Tesla drivers to just pay a small fee per hour of charge? Whether it is a NEMA 14-50 or the Tesla HPWC, most Tesla drivers visiting the RV Park will only be there for 1 or 2 hours, just enough to get them to the next Supercharger.

Sorry for the soapbox, but I feel like the cheapskate approach to EV charging is going to hold off charging availability. What is wrong with profit? It really isn't worth someones time for a "small profit".

Let's say they actually put in an HPWC @ 100A (assuming 240v, it might be 208). Let's also assume Tesla covers the HPWC and the installation.

240v * 72a * $0.10 / 1000 = $1.72 per hour. ($1.92 if 80A, $1.15 if 48a, $.96 if 40A)

The suggested profit is $0.04/hr? Or a loss leader if the car has higher charge rate? Why bother? That doesn't even cover credit card fees.

People spend more for a Starbucks.

If we can get HPWC even better, but IRAAN-style works. if we need crowdsourcing for anything count me in. Even a CHAdeMO would be fine by me, although upcoming Model 3 users could not yet use it.

CHAdeMO would be great. But costs at least $10k (plus electricity). At $25 per charge, I'll assume $5 going towards electricity, that leaves $20 to cover the charger, so 500 charges to pay it off... How many drive through there on average over a year? How many would be willing to pay $25? Maybe a few years to pay it off, until it breaks and requires maintenance.

Last edited:
We had EVgo and blink L2 and L3 at our locations before I started working here. Apparently no one used them, they always needed maintenance, and it became more of a hassle then anything so they sit there and rot.

Also they will be on commercial rates for electricity, all of those links are for residential. Expect to be sold electricity at 15-20c or 10-$15 for unlimited.