Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Followed BerTX on I-10 today in the P85, but never caught up to him.
Junction started at 302 mph, best Ozona could do was 222 mph - tried 1A and 1B. Seemed very slow to me.
Iraan Power House got up to 46 mph on 69A. Topped up a bit at The Stable in Alpine: 24 mph 40A - free. The Stable is an ICE performance shop - they were very friendly - I owe them a beer. (I recommend RailRoad Blues - across the street.)
Lack of a Supercharger in Fort Stockton is a major annoyance - took me 9 hours instead of the usual six in the Jeep.
You'd think we could at least get a short explanation from someone, eh?
Experienced the following charging rates today: 302, 202, 46, 24, and 4 (at the house). Interesting - and frustrating.
If 1A is slow, you should switch to any pedestal other than 1B.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Followed BerTX on I-10 today in the P85, but never caught up to him.
Junction started at 302 mph, best Ozona could do was 222 mph - tried 1A and 1B. Seemed very slow to me.
Iraan Power House got up to 46 mph on 69A. Topped up a bit at The Stable in Alpine: 24 mph 40A - free. The Stable is an ICE performance shop - they were very friendly - I owe them a beer. (I recommend RailRoad Blues - across the street.)
Lack of a Supercharger in Fort Stockton is a major annoyance - took me 9 hours instead of the usual six in the Jeep.
You'd think we could at least get a short explanation from someone, eh?
Experienced the following charging rates today: 302, 202, 46, 24, and 4 (at the house). Interesting - and frustrating.
Thanks for the report. It's best to report charging by giving the kW and your state of charge, as discussed in many places on this forum. The miles of range added per hour display is an average for the session, not an instantaneous rate. kW is the instantaneous rate.

• Informative
I was in Ft Stockton this morning. My map was pegged at the three hotels near the McDonalds. Since I had just left the Hampton in Van Horn, I went in the Ft Stockton Hampton only. They claimed to know nothing.

Incidentally, I had a very nice tail wind from Van Horn to Ozona and did not need to stop at Iraan as expected. Got 218 wh/m with about 40 miles left out of 227. I think that is the best I've ever done over so great a distance. The wind didn't SEEM all that strong. Though I know it is down hill, that did not seem to be a great factor.

On charge power, I generally start at close to 120kw with ~10% remaining. By the time I get to about 50%, I've been cut to ~60kw. A few months ago, I finally came to realize that the "mph" was the average of the charge session. Of much more interest is the current power in kw. When I get below about 40kw, I decide my time is not being spent well; especially if I think I can make it to the next SuperCharger.

OH! I took photos in El Paso, posted to the El Paso thread. Also, had interesting encounter this afternoon at Junction:
https://plus.google.com/+WillieMcKemie/posts/L2QoZtNA6mB

Found Hueco Tanks a very pleasant place to charge. You can almost certainly get in there any weekday.

Last edited:
  • Informative
True, but I can only use 48 of the 75 amps, so about 36 MPH. Ozona to Van Horn would be doable without the stop if I slow down. One of those cases where going slower is faster (but not as much fun on an 80 mph road).
I got over 60 amps one time, but only 50 amps a few days ago. I think voltage sagged to about 230 both times.
OH! you're saying you have a 48 amp charger.

Last edited:
I saw shipping containers and such on the ground at the Flying J truck stop in Ft Stockton when I went by today.
Any chance that is where the SC will be?

Balmorhea wanted $15 regardless of how long I was there. No thanks.

BBQ in Iraan was very good.

Charlie

Balmorhea wanted $15 regardless of how long I was there. No thanks.

BBQ in Iraan was very good.

Charlie

I'd take the $15 and be pleased. What was your alternative?
I paid ~$35 in Study Butte, $20 at Stillwell, $20 at Hueco Tanks, $20 (voluntarily) at The Stable. I expect the cost of electricity would be about $5 so a charge of $10 would be fair. However, I want these places eager to see EVs.

Incidentally, the guy at the The Stable seems interested in putting in destination chargers. I explained he could put in two units that share a 100 amp breaker. I suggested he charge a fee in some way. My preference is just a sign "voluntary contributions via PayPal to <emailaddress>". I could generate no interest in a destination charger at the Holland but I did not see a good site for it. The Stable does have a good site between his two buildings. I burned half a day of daylight charging at The Stable because I found the 14-50s locked when I pulled in after dark Sunday night and could not start charging until ~9am Monday; I pulled into Alpine with about 12 miles which went down to about 8 while I slept at the Holland. I suggested to the guy that there was little reason to keep the outlets locked. A better Alpine charge opportunity might be the one or more RV parks to the east of campus; there are several walking distance hotels.

In Iraan a couple of months ago, I tried the Mexican place nearly adjacent and thought I could do better. More recently, I attempted the Mexican place across the highway, closed on Sunday. Remind us of the location of the BBQ?

• Informative
I'd take the $15 and be pleased. What was your alternative?
I paid ~$35 in Study Butte, $20 at Stillwell, $20 at Hueco Tanks, $20 (voluntarily) at The Stable. I expect the cost of electricity would be about $5 so a charge of $10 would be fair. However, I want these places eager to see EVs.

Incidentally, the guy at the The Stable seems interested in putting in destination chargers. I explained he could put in two units that share a 100 amp breaker. I suggested he charge a fee in some way. My preference is just a sign "voluntary contributions via PayPal to <emailaddress>". I could generate no interest in a destination charger at the Holland but I did not see a good site for it. The Stable does have a good site between his two buildings. I burned half a day of daylight charging at The Stable because I found the 14-50s locked when I pulled in after dark Sunday night and could not start charging until ~9am Monday; I pulled into Alpine with about 12 miles which went down to about 8 while I slept at the Holland. I suggested to the guy that there was little reason to keep the outlets locked. A better Alpine charge opportunity might be the one or more RV parks to the east of campus; there are several walking distance hotels.

In Iraan a couple of months ago, I tried the Mexican place nearly adjacent and thought I could do better. More recently, I attempted the Mexican place across the highway, closed on Sunday. Remind us of the location of the BBQ?
Mesquite Wood Bar-B-Q - Iraan, TX

I highly recommend sharing with a friend. Too much for one person.

• Informative
mckemie, I was in Fort Stockton when I called Balmorhea. I rerouted straight to Alpine via hwy 67. Drove 60 instead of 78.
As I neared Alpine the car repeatedly displayed a message declaring I was out of range of any "known charging sites" or some similar language. Still had 53 miles indicated when I got to The Stable. 14-50s weren't locked when I arrived about 6:00.

Received messages from a city employee and a representative from Flying J.
City rep said the SC was outside city limits and he had no other info. Curious and not very helpful.
Flying J rep said no plans for an SC at their Fort Stockton location.
I don't what the hangup is.

• Informative
Received messages from a city employee and a representative from Flying J.
City rep said the SC was outside city limits and he had no other info. Curious and not very helpful.
Flying J rep said no plans for an SC at their Fort Stockton location.
I don't what the hangup is.

How bizarre. If those statements are true, then to me it is narrowed down to the Stripes store (which is pretty big, more of a travel center), or the Holiday Inn Express. The HIE appears to be in a little island surrounded by the city, but not in the city limits.
upload_2017-4-9_9-10-57.png

Fairfield Inn appears to be in the city limits.

I wonder if there was a disagreement with the city?

• Informative
Not really change -- like all the "Coming Soon" location markers, it is the center of the city according to Google Maps. For example, do a route from Ozona to Fort Stockton, and that is the spot it will identify as "Fort Stockton".

I don't think this location on that map is or is not indicative of a change.

Reactions: bollar