TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Fort Stockton, Texas

Discussion in 'Texas Supercharger locations' started by vperl, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Hojo

Hojo Member

Many thanks to all who replied so quickly to provide sage advice. I suspect 20% estimated soc on arrival will be my new standard for departing a SC. It is comforting to know that once the system understood the driving environment and settled on 6% as an arriving soc, that did not change for the remainder of the trip.
    Cheers

2. Hojo

Hojo Member

BerTX....first, thanks agin for the Pecos routing advice. Charging now at the Swiss Chalet.:)
    Second, is "Estimated Miles" the same thing as "Projected Miles" shown on the consumption chart?o_O

3. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Projected is correct, not estimated.:oops:

4. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

How does the car know you are going to be driving at 80 mph? The estimation is based on 65mph steady speed with no elevation gain. The best the algorithm can do is take elevation and wind speed into account, but it can now way read your future mind of what speed you are going to drive.

In this case if you had driven a steady 65, you would have had enough range to spare.

5. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Right, but to clarify, it does not take wind speed into account. The car does not know this information. The only planning tool that does this automatically is EV Trip Optimizer.

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

6. Hojo

Hojo Member

You are correct, of course, the car does not know my intended speed for the next leg of a trip. My fundamental mistake was in the belief that in a multi-leg trip over the course of a day, the car would use the actual conditions (including speed) of the first leg in calculating the estimated energy needs for the second leg; and that this pattern would continue for all succeeding legs of the day's trip. I have learned this is not the case.

• Like x 2
  7. avesraggiana

avesraggiana Member

So what's going on in Fort Stockton?

• Helpful x 1
  8. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

same as its been for the past 30 pages

• Funny x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. TMC Bubba

TMC Bubba Member

If you’d like to see real suffering, take a look at the San Diego / Sorrento Valley thread sometime. There are currently 12 SuC stalls for all of San Diego county, 3.3 million residents. Their thread is 48 pages and growing. They’re saying they can’t get anything through the county permit office — and they don’t have to deal with auto dealer politics out there.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  10. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Not Fort Stockton but Balmorhea:
    I received this from Tesla today:
    Thanks for submitting your charging request. I just wanted to let you know I have reached out to Sandra and see if we can get an installation going in town.

Best,

Max Wilcox | Project Manager | Charging Infrastructure
    3500 Deer Creek Rd. | Palo Alto, CA, 94304
    o 510-249-3741 | m 650.906.1477 | e [email protected]

[​IMG]

The content of this message i

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. avesraggiana

avesraggiana Member

Man, I know all about it. I live here and the situation really is deplorable. I learned early on to only use the sole San Diego Supercharger station very early in the morning, on weekends, or very late at tonight.

And, yes. It really does feel like the local mafia has a strangle hold on our permitting office and further, no one can figure out how much they want.

12. avesraggiana

avesraggiana Member

Man, I know all about it. I live here and the situation really is deplorable. I learned early on to only use the sole San Diego Supercharger station very early in the morning, on weekends, or very late at tonight.

And, yes. It really does feel like the local mafia has a stranglehold on our county permitting office and further, no one can seem to figure out how much they want.

13. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

jbcarioca:

Whoo hoo! Progress! Sandra is City Secretary - Balmorhea.

Now if we can get the Fort Stockton trailer park, too...

• Like x 1
  14. avesraggiana

avesraggiana Member

Sorry. Triple posting that I now can't fix.

• Funny x 1
  15. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Weakest and last link in the chain. Unless and until we have FS, we have a multi-hundred mile detour with which to contend, or the risk of getting rear-ended by driving slowly via I-10. I haven't done the math yet but am going to have to here fairly soon concerning the time penalty for charging at some 40A (actual) or worse versus that dogleg through Midland. Or slowing down. I dislike intensely the slowing down option but it may be the most efficient option. I resent having to trade risk for efficiency when this SC is so insanely late to begin with.

Tesla is run by a billionaire. Oil outfits appreciate money. Buy them off and be done with it. Yeah, I know - not my money.

And San Diego is as bad now in terms of relative impact. At least there are SCs going in there at a snail's pace. That said, Gary the Snail (Hyperloop effort reference) is kicking Fort Stockton's butt in terms of pace.

Something in Balmorhea would be helpful indeed.

16. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

No worries - it happens to many from time to time. Just report the posts (see option at lower left in each post) and ask a moderator to please delete the duplicates - when they're not too busy micromanaging content and members, they'll get around to it.

• Informative x 1
  17. Ed Hart

Ed Hart Member

You will obviously recognize why I took the route in this graphic around the US back in 2015. Over 500 miles additional driving. I10 was poorly covered at that time. I was hoping to do it again by staying on 10 all the way, but I don't think my 85 is a safe bet. Hurry, Fort Stockton; you are holding up the revolution!

Electric Adventure Map.jpg

• Like x 1
  18. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Aha! What a great route image. Talk about a blast from the past. Love how you annotated it.

Who could forget that lovely hard right at Houston into tornado country, the subsequent elevation into Tucumcari and approach to Albuquerque before the downslope, and then the black ice after that near Flag - all courtesy of I-40.

Nerts, I say.

I was going to head out to Deming for a golden spike-esque celebration, but clearly that honor has now descended upon Fort by god Stockton. I don’t care what’s going on at the beach hereabouts - I intend to attend that SC grand opening. It’s at most 1200 miles - a nice mellow 2-day drive.

I may even wear a tuxedo. With top hat. And tails.

A golden spike and sledge might be over the top, but I know I’d grin every time through if there was an actual golden spike in the ground and maybe a plaque there as well.

The first transcontinental EV route without the need for chains or snow tires (or AWD now) year-round. Call me sentimental (I really liked my RWD S85 AP1), but it’s kind of a big deal.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  19. Ed Hart

Ed Hart Member

IMG_1527.jpg

Golden Spike. I like that. I should join you. I have some practice.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  20. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

#660 TaoJones, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Hehe - that’s a great picture.

Hey, the more, the merrier. Hopefully a number of folks from this thread will be able to attend. This presumes the local Chamber would have a Grand Opening as has been the case with other SCs (Redondo Beach, Culver City/Fox Hills and so forth). Heh - perhaps not.

On the other hand, if they don’t, well, you’ve already got the sledge, and I’ll look into bringing something that resembles a spike and some weatherproof gold paint. Actually... I had some wheels powdercoated at an old school plating/metals shop in Gardena (Verne’s Chrome Plating). I bet they’d gold(tone) plate a spike although for all I know Amazon sells them already plated. Amazon sells everything else it seems. Will have a look.

Hopefully Tesla can break through the FUD and get this last SC in place. We’ll know the fix is in if magically a CCS charger shows up first with some sort of GM/NADA endorsement. *twitch*

Going to go educate myself about the original Golden Spike ceremony or ceremonies from 150-ish years ago.

There will be a certain irony about this getting done in the heart of current oil country.

Edit: Who knew? Amazon comes through again. Gold plating not included. Sorted and straight, even:
    • Only $2.00 Each Spike - FILL YOUR SHIPPING BOX WITH AS MANY SPIKES AS YOU LIKE (Up To 80 Spikes Per Box)
    • RARE Large Variety "Blue Tint" Carbon Steel Railroad Spikes 6.5"
    • Sorted & Straight
    • FREE Priority Shipping Upgrade

• Love x 2
    • Funny x 1