Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thenaimis: Thank you for your post. I drive through and/or around Fort Stockton regularly. Usually very slowly because my P85 will not make it from Ozona to my home in Fort Davis. Pretty well documented in the previous 724 posts. When I go through Fort Stockton I look for evidence of an SC under construction. Never once saw anything more than stake flags. Last trip through was Sunday, and I saw nothing. I'm not the only one doing this, and that's why I used "we" instead of "me". So if an SC is truly ready - or almost - "we" missed it.

All I know is that when ground is broken for this last link in the all-wx transcontinental chain, I'm ordering one of these and a can of this.

Addendum: Neither EVtripplanner nor Google Maps know jack about a Fort Stockton SC address (go figure), but from this spiffy map view, there are several great potential locations in a fairly compact area.

fort stockton map.png

Attachments

• fort stockton map.png
    fort stockton map.png
    313 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Ramos Arizpe might be even better news than we think. Looks like the 3 LR can cross that gap today: EV Trip Planner

I guess it's a slow road: uphill, but just 173-Wh/mi projected. And that's the more-uphill direction. Of course I'd want to have a backup plan. Plugshare didn't show anything, but here's an RV park about midway with 50A service: RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos

That could also be a top-off point for Teslas with less range, until there's another SC along the way.

Good stuff - thanks.

I wrote and deleted several responses to this. I'll just say that anyone planning the trip should do some research, and I don't mean finding a place to charge.

Without question. Not the least of which being why my Sentri pass has pretty much languished in my wallet since I got it. For you see, while it reduces the border crossing delay to 10 minutes or less (even at San Ysidro, the busiest land crossing in the world, which can easily become a 5-hour experience or worse at peak times), there are TWO GLARING DETAILS that are as yet unaddressed:

1. Per the paperwork I signed and per anything I've been able to find since, one's warranty is voided if one drives into Mexico. This is annoying, since it implies that I would have to buy a Tesla in Mexico to drive it in Mexico up from Acapulco *to* Texas.

2. I haven't found a Mexican car insurance policy that will pay US shop rate in excess of $50/hour. So in the simplest case (I get into a fender-bender while in line waiting to cross the border at San Ysidro), I'm on the hook for the other $150/hour for Tesla service, plus whatever the delta is for the body shop. In other words, a non-starter.

Then there is the substantial concern with regard to which states one ends up driving through in Mexico from Texas to Acapulco - and suffice it to say, if one or more aren't already on some State Department list, then they're adjacent states that surely are.

Other than all of that, it would be a fine trip. Except for the delay presently incurred at Fort Stockton :). Because, after all, what else could possibly happen :).

charliepmayer, sorry if my post came off as angry or accusatory, it wasn't intended that way. I was merely extremely confused how a supercharger station could go from being blocked by unnamed forces to "open" or even "ready" particularly in light of the fact that you and others keep such close tabs on it. I thought maybe I'd glossed over indications of progress in the thread.

Er, what does "ready" mean, exactly, in this context, anyway?

Keep dreaming a little longer..............

Officially: FS SC progress is being made, but no opening details yet.

Unofficially: "this thing is already built and undergoing testing"
(This is just my opinion: perhaps grossly inaccurate, but maybe not.)

nwdiver: I can't get back there for a week or two - if you can, please report. Please check the Best Western.

thenaimis: no worries! Very hard to pick up subtleties in raw print - I'll work on that, sorry.
Until we get pics of construction, it's all bs anyway - regardless of the source (mea culpa).