Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove through FS yesterday - saw nothing.
My commute to Ft. Davis was 6 hr in the ICE, but still a 10 hour trip in the Model S.
Very inconvenient - and driving 70 when everyone else is going 85 is dangerous - I hate it.

Why can't we get info on this?
Is Tesla involved in a lawsuit with Ft Stockton?
What else could it be?

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
My commute to Ft. Davis was 6 hr in the ICE, but still a 10 hour trip in the Model S.
Very inconvenient - and driving 70 when everyone else is going 85 is dangerous - I hate it.

What else could it be?
Just some observations, I have no real information...

1) There is no viable location with any amenities at all, other than Fort Stockton and the immediate area adjacent
2) Small city governments are easily swayed by local businesses. Car dealerships are often the biggest business in town. There are 3 new car dealerships in Fort Stockton.
3) When there is only one "city" in a rural county, the county government is easily overpowered by the city government. Although there are viable businesses that could host a SC just outside the city limits of Fort Stockton, they would be under county government approval.
4) Looking at the city map of Fort Stockton, several of the businesses just outside the city limits or even in an "island" of non-city property inside the limits could be easily annexed by the city. There is probably some tax or regulatory benefit to being outside the city limits for these businesses. It would be easy for a threat of annexation to dissuade these businesses from hosting a SC location.
5) It's also possible that the owner of the Fairfield Inn changed their mind. These chain hotels are franchises and can make a decision like that on their own. The fact that other Fairfield Inns have Superchargers is not really relevant.

Personally I think some palm is not being adequately greased, and Tesla is unwilling to set a precedent.

What else could it be?
No info because it's no different than any other anticipated location-- Tesla's negotiations with property owners are confidential. I agree with BerTX though, there are few choice locations and there must be some political pressure on them to not deal with Tesla, or the city itself has put up an obstacle as Temple did in the early days of superchargers.

When in doubt, blame the auto dealer cartel. You'll be right more often than not.

Van Horn is no help to me, I need to go south.
Yes, perhaps some "unofficial dealings" are not complete.
This delay in Fort Stockton doesn't pass my "smell test":
something is not right with local government, despite what they may say.

Dealers: I was going to take my Jeep to the Fort Stockton dealer for service - I need to re-think that.

@charliepmayer had a bad experience at the Balmorrhea City Hall RV park. My experience was good. Either they are erratic, with attitude depending on who is working the front desk, or they decided to change their policy after I left. Neither policy seems reasonable to all parties involved -- my being charged a prorated amount ($0.63 per hour) nor his being charged for a full day's rental.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Just round-tripped to Fort Davis.
No activity in Fort Stockton - I'll call the county on Monday - see if anybody knows anythin
My S consistently gives me an "extension cord detected" aIarm at the Iraan Energy House.
Drops from 69A to 52A, but no other drama. Don't know why this happens.

The owner of: Mesquite Wood Bar-B-Q - Iraan, TX stopped by to chat while we charged in Iraan.
We had a nice conversation - personable fellow.

10 hours out, 8 1/2 back in the S.

Good trip - fantastic lightning shows.

Planning a trip from Houston to Carlsbad this summer. Guess I won’t hold my breath for Ft. Stockton and will have to go up to Midland and then over to Carlsbad...

Chris

I've got a house a block from a restaurant in Eunice NM with a 80A HPWC. You're more than welcome to stop here and charge while you eat lunch. You can definitely make it here from Sweetwater... if you don't have dual chargers a detour to Midland might be faster...