Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the Satellite photo I could not locate the main electrical transformer. Any idea where it will be located? The open area west of the Garden Center looks nice. It will have to be paved anyway, so better to start with dirt.

I love the Super WalMart location as it has 24/7 Restroom and any other shopping you are looking for.

Thank you Charlie for staying on top of this. I am sure that because of you Tesla has moved on finally getting this location.

I make a motion that this Supercharger be named the Charlie P Mayer Fort Stockton Supercharger.

Looks like a steakhouse and local burger place next door, and Walmart has a hot-food deli maybe?

I know some people are ethically opposed to Walmart -- so just don't buy anything. Consider your potty break a social statement. Me, I like a big air conditioned place to walk around in with clean restrooms and funny people to be amazed at.

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J and DriverOne
City of Fort Stockton informed me just now that a permit was issued, for electrical work, for Tesla, at the WalMart.
I spoke with the manager of the WalMart a few minutes ago.

His story:
A team from "Corporate" showed up and shared with him pictures and layouts of a Supercharger.
"They look like big red gas pumps".
The site is surveyed, laid out, and awaiting construction start.
Start is within 30 days.

How about that!

Well, ain’t that a kick in the pants. Great news and thanks for relaying it.

Looks like a Golden Spike ceremony may happen this year after all! And potentially in time for the obligatory Halloween Key West road trip.

Where can we put our spikes!!! mI'm ctually hoping for mid-September on my way back to Miami after Miami-Halifax, NS-Vancouver, BC-Fremont-Phoenix-
It will be astounding to be able to use I-10 the entire distance. Maybe I'll go to Santa Monica just to make it all the way, finishing in Jacksonville, FL.
My P3D+ will have a proper breakin!!:D

TaoJones: if you go to Key West a week early you can experience Fantasy Fest. An invaluable part of anyone's education.

Absolutely, and funny you should mention. Lost my FF virginity 2-3 years ago after a conference in Chicago. It was a friend's birthday on Halloween, and where do you take a woman for her birthday on Halloween? Key West, of course. We drove through the sideways rain for hundreds of miles, last charged at Marathon Key, and made it for the final 4 days of the festivities.

For those unaware, and now that we'll have a contiguous I-10 route finally via (no longer For(got)t(en)) Stockton which means no longer losing a half-day or an overnight each way: Fantasy Fest is a 10-day annual party. It is not, repeat not for kids. 75,000-90,000 revelers descend upon Key West; there isn't an available hotel room for at least 75 miles. Just the *locals* parade was 6 hours long. The somewhat elderly MC for that, by the way, was dressed as Santa Claus in the 80-degree warmth, with an authentic, which is to say very much attached white beard and an equally real red and white jacket. So to waist level, all was quite kosher, so to speak. However, from there it was all pink tutu, and said tutu was... well, it was a wee bit short*. Yep - some things you just can't unsee. And that was just during the daytime.

Charlie, you deserve a ton of credit for helping to make this last link in the chain a reality. Yer golden spike will await your arrival if you can make the grand opening/dedication/golden spike soiree hopefully later this year.

Golden spikes, by the way, for the next 48 who attend as well - the 50th spike is going into the ground or onto the plaque or whatever we decide to do with it. Maybe a time capsule - I dunno. Other than lighting up the Alaskan Highway, this is pretty much the Last Big Deal until we get a transcontinental Barry White charger-enabled route. Who knows what could happen with that...

* if only there had been short shorts handy...

Snip ===%<-----
Other than lighting up the Alaskan Highway, this is pretty much the Last Big Deal until we get a transcontinental
Barry White charger-enabled route. Who knows what could happen with that...

Oh NO!! Opening I-10 is a Big Deal but it's only the Latest Big Deal. I'm very interested in I-10 to be sure, but then there are I-29, I-94 and the Trans Canada Highway after that. I have an interest in all of those. Others will have their faves too. Just look at Tesla's map. Plenty of painful SC-free zones to traverse. Plenty of Next Big Deals to spit nails over.

Ahem.

Oh yeah and Alaska too.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Oh NO!! Opening I-10 is a Big Deal but it's only the Latest Big Deal. I'm very interested in I-10 to be sure, but then there are I-29, I-94 and the Trans Canada Highway after that. I have an interest in all of those. Others will have their faves too. Just look at Tesla's map. Plenty of painful SC-free zones to traverse. Plenty of Next Big Deals to spit nails over.

Ahem.

Oh yeah and Alaska too.

Not the same.

I-10 remains the first, only and safest transcontinental route that does not require snow tires or chain’s year-round. You don’t get from Key West to San Diego (via Los Angeles and then ~2h south on the 405/5 to avoid the mountains at the end) without it. If I never see another black ice warning along I-40 or see another tornado along I-20, it wouldn’t be too soon.

From an international perspective, sure - there’s Trans-Canada (very patient folks up there north of the border) and there’s also the circumference of Australia (with an obligatory cutover to Ayers Rock), the Great Wall of China, and the list goes on.

The Alaskan Highway has only so far gotten an “eventually” from Elon, which probably means 5-10 years, but anything would help cut that ~1900-mile (one way) old school journey down (first done in a Model S in 2013). There’s one guy in the Yukon who gets $50-$100 for the use of his 50A and hey, what are ya gonna do.

Good luck with the needed infill - each of the routes you’ve noted surely needs attention. None have been neglected as long as For(got)t(en no more) Stockton from permit to execution, but the decade ain’t over :).

And San Antonio too? Isn't there a Walmart on I 10 very near the Service Center?

Also, don't we need to hold off on any golden spike until the Flatonia to Junction hole is plugged?
Agree SA is needed, but it is not the show-stopper that Fort Stockton is. 200 miles vs 265, and 1250' elevation gain vs 1700'. Also. there is the option to cut out San Antonio altogether by routing through San Marcos -- 20-25 minutes longer but avoiding potential city traffic.

Agree SA is needed, but it is not the show-stopper that Fort Stockton is. 200 miles vs 265, and 1250' elevation gain vs 1700'. Also. there is the option to cut out San Antonio altogether by routing through San Marcos -- 20-25 minutes longer but avoiding potential city traffic.
Eh, I made that Ozona to Van Horn leg in a P100D, heading West in the rain. No problem :)
Looking at the map, just now, I have to say that is a very long stretch of road....
Frankly, I'm really surprised to hear there's been any progress. This area has been a pin on a map marked "pending" for so long it's hard to believe there's actual progress. That said, if/when they build the thing, I'm up for a trip out there for a "grand opening" celebration or whatever.

Reactions: BerTX