Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thenaimis: the issue on that stretch of I-10 is easily handled by our 100s, but not so easy with a smaller battery.
Even the 100 is inadequate if there is a detour involved. Imagine a highway-closing event just east of Van Horn.

I should have WalMart pics by noon. Hope it's not a wasted trip.

Reactions: LonestarV
City of Fort Stockton informed me just now that a permit was issued, for electrical work, for Tesla, at the WalMart.
I spoke with the manager of the WalMart a few minutes ago.

His story:
A team from "Corporate" showed up and shared with him pictures and layouts of a Supercharger.
"They look like big red gas pumps".
The site is surveyed, laid out, and awaiting construction start.
Start is within 30 days.

How about that!

I was going to rate it informative, but I'm hedging my bets and rating Helpful.

Here's the response letter I got back from Tesla:

Thank you for reaching out to us here at Tesla. I'm sorry to hear about the delay with this Supercharger location - unfortunately we can't always control the exact timelines for when a new location may open due to different city regulations, contracts, construction timelines, etc. However I have reached out to our Supercharging leadership to try and get some more insight into the Fort Stockton location. I'll be sure to follow up with you as soon as we get some more information.

Best regards,
Mark Toffey | Executive Care

Whoa! Just logged back into this forum. Huzzah! Progress!

FYI, last night I got another response from Mark Toffey @tesla. He didn't really shed any insight on what's going on with Fort Stockton, but I want to recongnize that he did follow-up like he said he would:

I heard back from our Supercharger team and the local developer team is working hard to add charging stations along this route. The team did advise for the best information on a specific Supercharger location you can reach out to [email protected] and gather updates on site progress until opening. I wish I had more details to share at this time, but I'd recommend reaching out to their email so you can get site status updates.

Best regards,
45500 Fremont Blvd | Fremont, CA 94538

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TaoJones and Dr. J
Whoa! Just logged back into this forum. Huzzah! Progress!

FYI, last night I got another response from Mark Toffey @tesla. He didn't really shed any insight on what's going on with Fort Stockton, but I want to recongnize that he did follow-up like he said he would:

I heard back from our Supercharger team and the local developer team is working hard to add charging stations along this route. The team did advise for the best information on a specific Supercharger location you can reach out to [email protected] and gather updates on site progress until opening. I wish I had more details to share at this time, but I'd recommend reaching out to their email so you can get site status updates.

Best regards,
45500 Fremont Blvd | Fremont, CA 94538

It would make sense for them to just give the information out on all the Superchargers, rather than having 1000 people send them emails. But Tesla doesn't always make sense.

thenaimis: the issue on that stretch of I-10 is easily handled by our 100s, but not so easy with a smaller battery.
Yeah, I know. I was making a bit of a joke. Even with the 100, I arrived in Van Horn with less than 10% SoC. I'd be really sweating if I tried that stretch with a smaller battery. Probably both figuratively and literally as no doubt you'd have to run with no A/C to have any hope of making it.

WalMart:
Texas-New Mexico Power has flagged an area I take to be a transformer pad. Looks like they will tap into the power line on the street and head north to the pad. I assume the SC pedestals will be on the east side of the gas station, currently a sun-baked dirt area.

Amenities:

Howard's Drive In has hamburgers and such. Ice cream machine was down so I couldn't try a malt or a shake.
Chile cheese burger came with a whole roasted green chile. Can't really recommend this place, but it'll do in a pinch.
Friendly service - smiling locals.

Domino's Pizza: brand new, haven't tried it yet.

K-Bob's Steak House: diner fare - chain restaurant. Won't kill you.

Inside WalMart: Big store. Deli for sandwiches, fried food, etc. Many pre-made items available.

Couple of local Mexican food restaurants a few blocks away.

A little too far to walk, but my favorite is Bienvinedos.

More later when I get Verizon service faster than the Morse code I'm getting at Howard's.

Congratulations to all of you and especially Charlie, but I'm going to have to disagree with you all about San Antonio's importance. I understand there are other options, unlike Ozona to Van Horn, but San Antonio opens up I-10 (it's still 204 miles from Junction to Flatonia) as well as I-35 (198 miles from Lorado to San Marcos). And lest we forget, and honestly my biggest gripe with it not having a single supercharger, is it's the 7th largest city in America, meaning lots of apartment dwellers who would probably be more inclined to buy a Tesla if charging becomes more prevalent. I know you can go around, but with the intersection of both directions of the states traffic, and San Marco's small 5 stall Supercharger station, this city becomes the golden spike in a lot of ways once Fort Stockton is complete.

Purdue Mark: SA is Red McCombs' City. You shouldn't be surprised in the least.

For those who are getting ready to Google Red McCombs: billionaire car dealership guy that is on record as hating Tesla.
Some discussion on him about 400 posts ago. He is why almost all BEVs in Texas get a tax break. Can you guess which brand is specifically excluded by the Texas Legislature?

Junction to San Marcos was discussed above - how did Flatonia and I-35 South sneak into this thread?

tmoz: new permit. Old permit was for Flying J. This is a much better location. Flying J is a zoo on busy weekends - spaces would have been continually iced.
Not that it really matters, but perhaps Blueshift should reset the permit status on supercharge.info. Showing one that is RIP, and the other that has just been born. Those charts are interesting.

Anyway, more pics of stupid survey flags, wasted trip:
IMG_6974.jpg
IMG_6975.jpg

WalMart:
Texas-New Mexico Power has flagged an area I take to be a transformer pad. Looks like they will tap into the power line on the street and head north to the pad. I assume the SC pedestals will be on the east side of the gas station, currently a sun-baked dirt area.

Amenities:

Howard's Drive In has hamburgers and such. Ice cream machine was down so I couldn't try a malt or a shake.
Chile cheese burger came with a whole roasted green chile. Can't really recommend this place, but it'll do in a pinch.

Domino's Pizza: brand new, haven't tried it yet.

K-Bob's Steak House: diner fare - chain restaurant. Won't kill you.

Inside WalMart: Big store. Deli for sandwiches, fried food, etc. Many pre-made items available.

Couple of local Mexican food restaurants a few blocks away.

A little too far to walk, but my favorite is Bienvinedos.

More later when I get Verizon service faster than the Morse code I'm getting at Howard's.
The K-Bob's I ate at near the supercharger in Tucumcari was the worst restaurant I have ever been to in my life. I think I left a review in that thread. It was bad enough that I would never give another one a shot.

@charliepmayer, thank you for your dogged persistence! I would vote for you for mayor!

And thanks for taking one for the team, and providing a full report! Howard's sounds like a great place to unwind. As long as you don't need fast wifi.

Reactions: nwdiver
Eh, I made that Ozona to Van Horn leg in a P100D, heading West in the rain. No problem :)
Looking at the map, just now, I have to say that is a very long stretch of road....
Frankly, I'm really surprised to hear there's been any progress. This area has been a pin on a map marked "pending" for so long it's hard to believe there's actual progress. That said, if/when they build the thing, I'm up for a trip out there for a "grand opening" celebration or whatever.
I did it last year in a S90D, with 33 miles of range to spare.

Screenshot 2018-08-15 00.53.23.png