Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did, sort of. Truth or consequences came online only recently, so I travelled from San Diego east on i8, up past Phoenix to flagstaff, then east on I-40 through Albuquerque, Amarillo, then south to Austin. Took a full extra day over the direct I-10 route.
For the route from Casa Grande to El Paso, there are non-Tesla charging opportunities that, while slower than supercharging, and at some expense, will still save practically a full day compared to that alternative. Bring your Chademo adapter for the public station just south of Tucson, and make use of one of the charging opportunities at an RV Park; you'll still be ahead time-wise. The supercharger somewhere along that route will simplify things of course, and hopefully it will come along "soon", as they say.

Ha well that's obviously not true and it isn't just I-10, or even just the interstates. Try driving to Diamond, OR and back using only superchargers. Also, the "N Alaska" implies that you can somehow drive to southern Alaska on the supercharger network. Wha???

While it's not possible to drive to South Alaska on the SC network, one could limp along using the public EV charging infrastructure. The biggest gap of 141 miles using J1772 public stations and RV parks in BC is between Burns and Prince George.

So "technically" Musk is correct, it is possible to drive to S Alaska using public infrastructure, if you are patient enough.

Don't forget enterprising individuals (with lots of time on their hands) have circumnavigated the globe in an EV.
Electric Odyssey travels around the world in 300 charges, 15,500 miles

As Clinton reminds us it all depends upon on what your definition of is is :)

• Funny
Reactions: thenaimis
Well, I thought I had the mystery solved when I saw construction next to the McDonalds.
Wrong again..........perhaps. No permits posted, and the workers were no help. I stopped at the Chamber of Commerce and they said it was a new McDonalds to replace the old one. C of C professed no knowledge of a Tesla site. Inside Sales at Tesla conferred with the Supercharger group for me and sent me the standard boilerplate response.
This is becoming much more than an inconvenience. Three year delay? What bs. How do we escalate this?
Any ideas? I want to buy an X to supplement our S, but the wife says we need a car than can easily get to the Big Bend, and that's not a Tesla. Bothers me, but she's right, and I still want a new X.

Tesla only claims that target is end of 2017, but as you said they've been making promises for years. I'm guessing we might see start of construction in late October, if we are lucky.

I'm annoyed because without fort Stockton, I can't really make it from ozona to van horn without driving way under the speed limit, and annoyed further by the big gap in NM and AZ.

Sorry I couldn't add any useful info. I got the same boilerplate response.

I don't understand any annoyance with this.
There is no commitment on this, no guarantee, nothing to indicate anything other than Tesla are working to get an SC somewhere near here. They are totally at the whim of local forces.
Basically nothing to get annoyed about.
They're doing their best to expand the network, if it's that important how about trying to help instead of complaining.
All that's been posted so far is to hassle Tesla.

'Annoyance' only in that it adds a full day to my business travel and restricts the places to which I can easily vacation.

I purchased the car knowing only that 'sometime in the future', the I-10 route would be completed. I have been overjoyed with the model S and the current network of superchargers. As an owner and a shareholder, I chose to support Tesla and their vision by purchasing a model S and owning shares.

While I am sure that they are doing their best to expand the network and are likely limited by local permitting processes, our input to Tesla may give them enough feedback to prioritize certain portions of the network over others which may not get as much customer feedback.

At the model 3 handover event, Mr. Musk talked about the persons who waited in line to purchase the model 3 and said that 'that really matters to us and we really care' and we 'want to do right by the loyalty that you've shown us'. He said that 'I want to thank those who purchased an S and X', because that makes the model 3 possible'. I take this to mean that since the CEO of Tesla really cares about his customers and wants to 'do right by the loyalty that you've shown us', that they might be interested in feedback over which supercharging routes have the highest demand.

I do use the Iraan charger - because without it I cannot make it from Ozona to my place west of Fort Davis.
Other options are 14-50s in Balmorhea and Alpine - which I have also used. They all add hours - yes hours - to the trip.

The I-10 Supercharger gap in Texas is down to one location - originally to open in 2014, I think.
Driving 55 mph on I-10 when others are going 85 mph makes you a road hazard and is really bad for EV's reputation.

It is important to maintain a good reserve out here. Even if you have enough battery to get from Ozona to your destination, you have to understand that there are no alternative routes. You are in jeopardy if Iraan is closed or if there is a road closure on 67 or 117. You have to camp on the side of the road or - if you have the range - go all the way back to Fort Stockton or Balmorhea. I encourage those who criticize the posters here to drive your Tesla to Alpine, Fort Davis - even use the HPWC at El Cosmico in Marfa if it is operational. It'll be easier to understand after you actually experience it.

A simple statement from Tesla would help ease the anxiety a lot - I do not understand the silence.

Reactions: DriverOne
What about calling a welding company in Fort Stockton? One of them might let you use a spare NEMA 6-50 socket if you pay them. You should probably only charge at 32A though since 50A welding circuits are intermittent loads and typically use a smaller gauge wire than a constant load requires. They might not be too into this because they probably make a fair chunk of their money welding for the oil industry.

How about the Firestone Texas Proving Grounds (TPG) about 15 miles west of Ft Stockton. It is about one mile north of I10.
Not much for amenities (yet) but probably a safe place and Firestone would have time to make a pitch for their tires on Tesla vehicles. You could always make a quick stop in Ft Stockton for amenities. If we ever get through that part of the country I will try to make arrangements to tour the grounds, I only buy Firestone's for our '31 coupe.

I don't think the annoyance is directed specifically at Tesla; rather, its directed at the fact (for whatever reason) that the I10 route (along with the I40 route) are still incomplete, making travel from the East coast of Washington, D.C. or Florida, to Arizona very difficult.

I bought my car in 2013, indicating to the Tesla personnel at that time that I wished to do a trip from the D.C. area to Arizona in the car. Every Tesla employee I spoke to assured me I would be able to do this via the supercharger network by the end of 2014. We are now mid-way through 2017 and these routes are still not complete, so I've been patiently waiting and waiting to do this road trip.

Last year I was diagnosed with cancer. Had surgery and pre-operative and post-operative radiation treatments. I can not continue to wait longer for these routes to be completed, so I am going to make this trip next month while I am still able to, not knowing what I will do to charge in the "zones" where there are no superchargers.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
I don't think the annoyance is directed specifically at Tesla; rather, its directed at the fact (for whatever reason) that the I10 route (along with the I40 route) are still incomplete, making travel from the East coast of Washington, D.C. or Florida, to Arizona very difficult.

I bought my car in 2013, indicating to the Tesla personnel at that time that I wished to do a trip from the D.C. area to Arizona in the car. Every Tesla employee I spoke to assured me I would be able to do this via the supercharger network by the end of 2014. We are now mid-way through 2017 and these routes are still not complete, so I've been patiently waiting and waiting to do this road trip.

Last year I was diagnosed with cancer. Had surgery and pre-operative and post-operative radiation treatments. I can not continue to wait longer for these routes to be completed, so I am going to make this trip next month while I am still able to, not knowing what I will do to charge in the "zones" where there are no superchargers.

Sorry about your illness, may your treatments be successful.

I'm not sure why you would use I-10 to go from DC to Arizona -- it's not the best route. If you do go that way, it is possible if you are not in a hurry.