Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thenaimis:
Heck, if ChrisS works there, he might as well get to know the manager. Flying J is likely the busiest establishment in town.
I don't know what ChrisS' business is, but it never hurts to make more contacts.
He did ask about locals, so..................?
Nothing sinister intended, hope that's not the way it was received. Manager has always been pretty upbeat when I talked to him.

ChrisS: any input on destination chargers in Fort Stockton? I keep striking out.
I have a used gen 1 HPWC available for free if it could be installed at your business
or anywhere near (maybe a local friend with a spare 100 amp slot?)
You are welcome to detour to my place in Fort Davis on your travels if you wish - PM me.

nwdiver: buy you a beer next time you're out here? No Hatch beer, but we have Big Bend Brewery.

thenaimis:
Heck, if ChrisS works there, he might as well get to know the manager. Flying J is likely the busiest establishment in town.
I don't know what ChrisS' business is, but it never hurts to make more contacts.
He did ask about locals, so..................?
Nothing sinister intended, hope that's not the way it was received. Manager has always been pretty upbeat when I talked to him.

ChrisS: any input on destination chargers in Fort Stockton? I keep striking out.
I have a used gen 1 HPWC available for free if it could be installed at your business
or anywhere near (maybe a local friend with a spare 100 amp slot?)
You are welcome to detour to my place in Fort Davis on your travels if you wish - PM me.

nwdiver: buy you a beer next time you're out here? No Hatch beer, but we have Big Bend Brewery.
Just so you know, if you want the attention of the users in question, you can @ them or reply them , like @charliepmayer

I guess it makes sense for Walmart: I don't think there is much demographic overlap between Walmart customers and Tesla owners.
Perhaps more overlap with less expensive EVs.
Your thoughts?

buttershrimp: yes indeed, but I don't think anyone thought that far ahead.
We'll end up with perpetually iced spots if they put them out front by the sign where the manager indicated.
We'll find out................some day.

Does anyone plan to buy a Chademo adapter for the Walmart/VW option?

I was going to sell mine; I haven't had a need to use it since hanging out on the Oregon coast before the SCs went in there.

However, there are some rumors floating around about some ChaDeMos going into Mexico, and since the McAllen, Texas to Acapulco SC run is coming up all too quickly, am leaning toward keeping it as a backup. Surprising (or maybe not so surprising) number of Nissan dealerships south of the border, and every dealership is supposed to have an underpowered, sketchy ChaDeMo available during business hours only. Soon.

About ICEing - hopefully they'll use the reasonably successful combination of municipal No Parking signs and signage that says "Electric Vehicle Charging Only. Towing enforced 24/7." Won't do much for any coal rolling cretins that have forgotten how to read, but it's a good first step before breaking out the green paint and electrified fencing.

About November - still can't believe that permit - had to read it twice. Thanks for posting the link. I haven't scheduled November yet except for Thanksgiving week in Tucson - would be easy to head over to FS before or after, presuming the grand opening (and concurrent Golden Spike Event) isn't pushed to December.

I was going to sell mine; I haven't had a need to use it since hanging out on the Oregon coast before the SCs went in there.

However, there are some rumors floating around about some ChaDeMos going into Mexico, and since the McAllen, Texas to Acapulco SC run is coming up all too quickly, am leaning toward keeping it as a backup. Surprising (or maybe not so surprising) number of Nissan dealerships south of the border, and every dealership is supposed to have an underpowered, sketchy ChaDeMo available during business hours only. Soon.

About ICEing - hopefully they'll use the reasonably successful combination of municipal No Parking signs and signage that says "Electric Vehicle Charging Only. Towing enforced 24/7." Won't do much for any coal rolling cretins that have forgotten how to read, but it's a good first step before breaking out the green paint and electrified fencing.

About November - still can't believe that permit - had to read it twice. Thanks for posting the link. I haven't scheduled November yet except for Thanksgiving week in Tucson - would be easy to head over to FS before or after, presuming the grand opening (and concurrent Golden Spike Event) isn't pushed to December.

FYI Walmart of al places is where the majority of Electrify America DOT com are going. They are 150 kW with 2 350 kW at each location. 4 to 10 ports at each with CHAdeMO and CCS connectors. No UMC Tesla ports yet but there is talk about it.

I haven't read up much on EA, but it seems like a hugely inefficient waste of money.

With the exception of the maintenance funds, that would be largely accurate.

And it’s the best they’ve* got.

10 sites with limited pedestals east of the Mississippi won’t cut it.

And as far as I know, the high side at Baker is still not live. So that site is limited to net 40A at best.

It’s going to be a couple of years ^H^H^H decades yet for the rest to catch up.

* all entities so far not named Tesla.

Reactions: CarlS
FYI Walmart of al places is where the majority of Electrify America DOT com are going. They are 150 kW with 2 350 kW at each location. 4 to 10 ports at each with CHAdeMO and CCS connectors.

I track the PlugShare ratings/comments at the Nissan-sponsored 50kW CHAdeMO where my adapter is loaned out by the grocery... Model S seems to get a real-world 35kW rate there thru the (2015) Tesla Adapter.

If it happens... Thing to do is get a permanent loaner CHAdeMO adapter placed there... meaning if the Wal-Mart management would be amenable... and Model 3 compatibility of course... people said my adapter in New Orleans would be at risk but hey it’s still there!

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlS
FYI Walmart of al places is where the majority of Electrify America DOT com are going. They are 150 kW with 2 350 kW at each location. 4 to 10 ports at each with CHAdeMO and CCS connectors. No UMC Tesla ports yet but there is talk about it.
Where is there talk about It? I thought the settlement specifically excluded having proprietary connectors (meaning it excluded the Tesla connector). Also don’t get too excited about the CHAdeMO part—most sites are reported to have only one CHAdeMO connector and all the rest are CCS. The CHAdeMO is limited to 50kW, more like 35-45 in real life, not really practical for highway driving.

Hi everyone. I just got word from the Library folks in Fort Davis that they need to make some publicity shots for the chargers at the Hotel Limpia. If anybody is around Fort Davis tomorrow would you mind if we use your car for pics? Mine is 400 miles away.
Please contact me or you can contact Jeanine directly.

Received this late this afternoon:

Hi. Can we do some publicity photos of the Tesla and the car chargers tomorrow, Tuesday the 4th, at around 3:30 in the afternoon?

Jeanine M. Bishop, President
Friends of the Jeff Davis County Library
PO Box 425
Fort Davis, TX 79734

432-249-1024 - Jeanine Bishop direct

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I guess it makes sense for Walmart: I don't think there is much demographic overlap between Walmart customers and Tesla owners.
Perhaps more overlap with less expensive EVs.
Your thoughts?

buttershrimp: yes indeed, but I don't think anyone thought that far ahead.
We'll end up with perpetually iced spots if they put them out front by the sign where the manager indicated.
We'll find out................some day.

Does anyone plan to buy a Chademo adapter for the Walmart/VW option?

I actually do my food shopping at that walmart in Ft. Stockton, as it's about the only place I know of. I think there is another random supermarket in town I saw, but I don't recognize it, so I go to the Walmart. But I probably would not bother charging there unless it was offered for free.

Hi everyone. I just got word from the Library folks in Fort Davis that they need to make some publicity shots for the chargers at the Hotel Limpia. If anybody is around Fort Davis tomorrow would you mind if we use your car for pics? Mine is 400 miles away.
Please contact me or you can contact Jeanine directly.

Received this late this afternoon:

Hi. Can we do some publicity photos of the Tesla and the car chargers tomorrow, Tuesday the 4th, at around 3:30 in the afternoon?

Jeanine M. Bishop, President
Friends of the Jeff Davis County Library
PO Box 425
Fort Davis, TX 79734

432-249-1024 - Jeanine Bishop direct

Sorry man.. I'm on vacation this week or I'd consider it if I was out that way. If they can wait till mid September, I'll be out in Ft. Stockton and it's an easy hop over to Ft. Davis then.