Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fort Worth, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It wasn’t a transformer fire. It was a problem with the installation of a different component by their electrical sub. Gets fixed on their schedule, not Tesla’s. Not authorized to share further details.

Installation of a different component than what was there when the stations were functional? Or installation of a component to replace one that failed? Yes, I saw where you can't share further details. Just hope the sub gets it fixed soon.

Sorry about the question: I was in facilities management mode when I wrote it. :rolleyes:

Note to self: It'll be fixed when it's fixed. Patience, young padwan... :cool:
Apologies, I was being a smart aleck playing off Electroman’s response. I think it will come down to the sub’s schedule and home base as well as whether parts need to be sourced and replaced.

I spoke to a Tesla employee at the Gallery in Fort Worth who told me that there was a transformer fire.

I drove by today; it definitely was a transformer fire. At the back of the lot there are eight transformers on a rack sitting next to the switchgear cabinet. The bottom left one is scorched, which could possibly have taken surrouding units with it. All of them are under a blue tarp cover, but there’s enough of a gap in the tarp one can see the toasted transformer.

Something serious had to go wrong for a transformer to let go like that. Either a factory fault in the transformer itself, or an external fault the switchgear couldn’t catch fast enough to protect the transformer, or a surge on the line (lightning?). Or a hat, broach or pterodactyl...

I drove by today; it definitely was a transformer fire. At the back of the lot there are eight transformers on a rack sitting next to the switchgear cabinet. The bottom left one is scorched, which could possibly have taken surrouding units with it. All of them are under a blue tarp cover, but there’s enough of a gap in the tarp one can see the toasted transformer.

Something serious had to go wrong for a transformer to let go like that. Either a factory fault in the transformer itself, or an external fault the switchgear couldn’t catch fast enough to protect the transformer, or a surge on the line (lightning?). Or a hat, broach or pterodactyl...
8 transformers? Why is there more than one? Are you sure about your terminology?

8 transformers? Why is there more than one? Are you sure about your terminology?
Yes, those are transformers. They're just not the big Utility Transformer that is usually the hold up for site activation. But those smaller white boxes that are usually installed next to or sometimes on top of the supercharger cabinets are autotransformers (buck/boost transformers).

Given the failure, they'll probably need to check all the equipment and lines not just replace the single obviously damaged AT.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Interesting. I’ve not taken the time to look at the transformer(s) and switchgear at an urban supercharger set up. Curious why the whole site would be down if only one of eight components is affected. I was told what caused the issue and the transformer was not the root cause.

Yes, those are transformers. They're just not the big Utility Transformer that is usually the hold up for site activation. But those smaller white boxes that are usually installed next to or sometimes on top of the supercharger cabinets are autotransformers (buck/boost transformers).

Given the failure, they'll probably need to check all the equipment and lines not just replace the single obviously damaged AT.

My thoughts exactly, and your terminology for the transformers is more precise than mine. Before the shutdown I had counted eight ATs in the northeast corner of the Whitmore lot, and my assumption was that one AT served two charging stations, since there are sixteen stations and eight ATs. My thought now is that with the lower end unit toasted, it may have taken out one or more adjacent ATs, particularly ones above. If so, that's a lot of gear to lose in one sitting, and, along with your observation regarding extensive checking that may be required to determine root cause, would seem to explain the extended shutdown of services the site has been seeing to date.

As an aside, I drove by what has been said by more than one source to be the upcoming Fort Worth Tesla service center location, at University and Bristol (northeast corner) and there has been no further construction activity since late last year. Could be Tesla is waiting for Tarrant County base of vehicles to reach a tipping point before proceeding with finish-out....just speculation on my part at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke