Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fountain Valley (LIVE 28 Aug 2015, Expanded 27 Oct 2017, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We parked our 2015 MS P85D in an empty "regular" (non-Supercharger) parking space next to this newly expanded Fountain Valley Supercharger yesterday (Sunday 11/12) at noon and EVERY Supercharger was full. Went to Starbucks and Costco for an hour and when we came back EVERY Supercharger space was full... with 2 Teslas waiting. OUCH.

We always park next to Superchargers when we can since we feel other Tesla owners coming and going is like having "security guards" who will discourage break-ins and parking lot scrapes... And we've met many nice Tesla owners there too. :cool:

This site shows 4th most active over 24 hours in the world, as per graphic in tesla Design center. In fact, having more activity than Fremont factory location.

Eventually Tesla will open more sites in Orange County, but the real estate is very expensive, thus parking spaces are at a premium...and construction/permitting process can be extended in California.

Attachments

• 737347CC-8A11-4BDA-93E7-DEBCB9263F60.jpeg
    737347CC-8A11-4BDA-93E7-DEBCB9263F60.jpeg
    548.4 KB · Views: 227
  • CCA18D54-2AC8-4A5F-BA3E-93E8E7BF5790.jpeg
    CCA18D54-2AC8-4A5F-BA3E-93E8E7BF5790.jpeg
    516.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 045D7A7E-DD88-40E6-A20C-B67C3C2C504C.jpeg
    045D7A7E-DD88-40E6-A20C-B67C3C2C504C.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and TaoJones
6 California
3 China
1 Amsterdam

This is typically what that flat panel shows for the top 10 SCs on the planet.

It’s unfortunate that Tesla let the OC languish with 1 SC (SJC) for so long. And FV has its own issues due to siting.

Finally we’ve got Clemente and soon, Carlsbad, but yeah, the urban and regional infill cannot come too soon to SoCal in particular. For every 3-4 SCs in the region (e.g., Lake Elsinore, Riverside, Thousand Oaks), 1 SC in either the OC or LA County or San Diego County/Metro would be well-justified.

There’s a trifecta there that’s unlike most of the rest of the continent:

1. Dense ownership
2. Dense travel corridors
3. Livery aplenty between the 5 major airports in the area. Not including the very busy municipal airports on top of that.

Surprised that Irvine, Long Beach, and Del Mar/La Jolla don’t have an SC yet.

All in good time, I suppose. Even an FV II SC would not be unwarranted. I just wish they’d stop siting SCs at shopping centers/malls.

I stopped by FV this past week. Arrived at 6:45 AM and there were only 2 other cars charging. I could only sit for about 10 minutes as I had to be at an appointment elsewhere, hoping to charge on the way home. At 1:30pm, all 16 stalls were taken. I had sufficient juice and grabbed a charge in Culver City instead. They really need another large station somewhere in this region.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I stopped by FV this past week. Arrived at 6:45 AM and there were only 2 other cars charging. I could only sit for about 10 minutes as I had to be at an appointment elsewhere, hoping to charge on the way home. At 1:30pm, all 16 stalls were taken. I had sufficient juice and grabbed a charge in Culver City instead. They really need another large station somewhere in this region.

San Clemente just opened South of FV... with 20 or is it 21 stalls...

San Clemente just opened South of FV... with 20 or is it 21 stalls...
I am aware, and enjoyed a nice stop-over there a couple of months ago. I was no where near San Clemente on this trip.
I was actually hoping that San Clemente, and hopefully Carlsbad (x2??) will help. I am not so sure though. I believe this is a central hub that is the sweet spot for many. Irvine, if it ever happens, would be the relief spot.

This morning the in-car app says "Reduced Service" and won't show how full it is.
Does that usually mean just one or two chargers is out?
Unfortunately there is no way to know exactly what that message means without actually going there. You can try calling Tesla but they may not be able to provide you with accurate information based on the experiences posted by others in this forum.

All I can do is say that it probably means not all the chargers are working properly, but that very likely some of them are working correctly. I know, that’s not much help.

Was at fountain valley today...only needed 6% additional charge to get home, was 5th in line when I showed up and waited for about 30 min...this supercharger was bad before model 3 and now is just horrible.
How busy was Westminster showing in the nav at the time? With 24 stalls there, the turn over should be faster and it's only a like 2 or 3 miles away.

Reactions: David99