Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fountain Valley (LIVE 28 Aug 2015, Expanded 27 Oct 2017, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what is the average built time for a SC is? I mean besides the SD and SJC that took forever, how long does it usually take? According to supercharge.info website, some SC were only in construction 3-4 weeks.

The average number of days between CONSTRUCTION and OPEN status, for the 270 sites for which I have distinct dates for both statuses, is 32.69 days. Of course that number is influenced by how soon someone notices construction....

Supercharger Trivia: this will be the second Fountain Valley supercharger. Sort of: Tesla Store, Service Centers and Chargers

The distribution also has a huge variance, ranging in timeframes from days to years... (Greenville, SC)
Right, so what would be the stats if we threw out the outliers? Perhaps get rid of the 2 longest and shortest construction intervals and recalculate. Given that there are stats on 270, and that the shortest is not going to be much less than a few weeks, throwing out a few that went almost a year may not make that much of a difference, but I would like to see anyway.

image.jpg
This is yesterday

Stopped by today 7/27/15 and took a few shots. Seems like they're about ready to pour concrete, with all the rebar in place:

ScFVDistribution.jpg

The worker is non-plussed I'm taking pictures over the fence. That pad on the left seems ready to be surrounded by concrete.
ScFVPad.jpg

The "dispenser" shells are still there waiting for the rest of the job.
ScFVDistribution2.jpg

Last edited:
More Photos of Fountain Valley Supercharger Under Construction as of 7/29/2015

Wide shot of the area:

Fountain Valley Supercharger Location Wide Shot.jpg

Close up of area with routes from northbound and southbound 405 highlighted:

Fountain Valley Supercharger Location.jpg

Best access is from Newhope. Going north on Newhope pass Talbert, and then take the first driveway on the right - just before the Petsmart. This provides easier access than from the Talbert side. There are 2 Superchargers on the left side and another 6 against the Petsmart wall at the back in this photo:

Fountain Valley Supercharger 1.jpg

Newhope Street in the background with the electrical block house under construction in the corner of the site:

Fountain Valley Supercharger 2.jpg

They look like the normal cables to me.
A few decades ago I lived a few miles from this location. It has easy access from the 405. I know that right now it seems like Tesla is building too many SCs on the 405 but they are planning ahead. I'm sure they are working hard on SCs on the 5 and in the inland valleys but for a variety of reasons some sites take much longer to get started than others.

I know that right now it seems like Tesla is building too many SCs on the 405 but they are planning ahead. I'm sure they are working hard on SCs on the 5 and in the inland valleys but for a variety of reasons some sites take much longer to get started than others.
I agree. It may be proving difficult in many areas to find a host who is willing to negotiate the dedicated parking and electrical pad space within a reasonable distance from the high-voltage. There is a report that even in Bishop two candidate hosts turned Tesla down.

Took pictures today 8/4/15. It's really beginning to look like a Tesla Supercharger site. Bags are off.

ScFVDispensers150804.jpg

Nice touch that the address of the gray box is 17940 and a half Newhope St. All of Tesla's electrical cabinets are inside that cinderblock shed. There's an SCE truck outside the fence (inset), so presumably the SCE rep is working under the yellow umbrella (it's hot today). But before we get our hopes up too much, the pad in the back is still being prepped.

ScFVPad150804.jpg

So I can't imagine it online this week, but it may be time to place bets. Next week? Next month? Two months?

Last edited:
I can't imagine it online this week, but it may be time to place bets. Next week? Next month? Two months?
Hopefully it's mid-August; will take 8/15 if we're picking dates!

As a former OC resident who now drives back to visit family, I'm happy about this location; it will potentially eliminate a long detour out to west LA. Now if they would just put one somewhere near the Brea Mall... :smile:

I will be very happy if this SC opens before end of August so I will pick August 28! Unfortunately, I think this will be an extremely popular SC with all the Tesla cars you see in OC, so not sure if this will help the commuters from Sd to LA or OC to LA