Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fountain Valley (LIVE 28 Aug 2015, Expanded 27 Oct 2017, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(cross-posted from other threads)

There are several discussions going on regarding the new idle fee chargers for those who leave their cars parked after completing their charge. We are interesting in hearing from those who frequent this charger to see if this has, or will have, any impact. We have one person here who commented above, so the n is insufficient to establish a pattern:
Poll: Improved availability of Superchargers

I've charged at the Fountain Valley location a few times since getting my Model S last December. The best charge rate I saw as 108kW for a short time. I started at 8%. It wasn't longer before it dropped to around 80 kW. Is that the typical experience here and at other SCs?

It may have been 10-15 minutes at 100+. I guess I though it would be longer. I know it does taper off as the battery fills. But there was a point when the power dropped quickly, I would say 2-3 minutes, to around 80. No paired car at that time. After that the power decline was slower.

Last edited:
Next time, I'll drive slower rather stop here again. Over an hour wait today at about three pm, but with only twenty two miles left, I had no choice when I could not make my usually reliable LA to San Diego and back drive. One gal was juggling two Ss and one X....what's that about? Other than her shell game, no one moved a vehicle while I waited along with one car in front of me, and several piled up behind. Now I understand the SC complaints a bit better.

One gal was juggling two Ss and one X....what's that about? Other than her shell game, no one moved a vehicle while I waited ….

I saw something similar the other day. All stalls full and two Teslas waiting in front of me as well as one old guy in an ICE SUV parked with engine running. Odd, I thought. Neither I nor the other S driver had enough miles left to reach the next SuperCharger. After quite some time, a slot opened up and a white X backed into it, the driver plugged in and then she got into the passenger seat of the ICE SUV and they drove away. Inconsiderate locals, of course, delaying people who really needed a charge. And I bet they spent nearly as much money on wasted gasoline driving the ICE from home and back - twice - and idling with AC on as they saved by not charging at home.

I saw something similar the other day. All stalls full and two Teslas waiting in front of me as well as one old guy in an ICE SUV parked with engine running. Odd, I thought. Neither I nor the other S driver had enough miles left to reach the next SuperCharger. After quite some time, a slot opened up and a white X backed into it, the driver plugged in and then she got into the passenger seat of the ICE SUV and they drove away. Inconsiderate locals, of course, delaying people who really needed a charge. And I bet they spent nearly as much money on wasted gasoline driving the ICE from home and back - twice - and idling with AC on as they saved by not charging at home.
There's been lots reports of this behavior at this location. I wonder if it happens elsewhere or if this location is unique somehow. I'm sure by the time you notice it to call them out, they're already gone, so I feel your frustration. Perhaps reporting their Model S/X to Roadside Assistance as possible abuse would help?

Reactions: Vern Padgett

I had my wife pick me up in our ICE SUV after i plugged in once. I needed to charge for 30-35 minutes and the nearest restroom was a block away. She picked me up to take us both and we were back in 20-25 minutes.

We were picking people up at the airport and needed 2 cars.

IMHO, it's not the driving away that's the problem, it's the overstaying after charging is done. If they only have a quick errand to complete and they are coming back soon, it's not a problem. Idle fees are the right way to address this case.
Agreed. I don't think you should necessarily jump to the conclusion that this was a local owner, even though they got into a waiting SUV. Consider the possibility that the person in the SUV is a SoCal relative whom the out-of-town NorCal owner is visiting. Only Tesla really has the data to know whether this is a case of local abuse, and they've chosen to start addressing the problem with idle fees.

Only Tesla really has the data to know whether this is a case of local abuse, and they've chosen to start addressing the problem with idle fees.
So says Tesla, but as far as we know no one has ever had to pay an idle fee. When we start hearing complaints from owners about how they were charged an idle fee and it isn't fair because of (fill in the blank) excuse, then we'll know that Tesla is addressing the problem with idle fees.

It looks like FV is one of the many California sites scheduled for an expansion. If anyone is stopping by, look for signs of construction, including if only pavement markings.
Gave it a 2nd chance last night about 7ish. No evidence of construction and all stalls full with 3 cars waiting. Fortunately I had 21% charge remaining, and immediately headed to MB. No more stopping here (really mean it this time :rolleyes:)