Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fountain Valley (LIVE 28 Aug 2015, Expanded 27 Oct 2017, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow you guys beat me by just a few hours. I stopped by this afternoon not knowing this thread and snapped these pictures.

First is a view of the site from across the street. It's on the southwest corner of the PetSmart. A Souplantation is to the east.
ScFVPetSmartB.jpg

Then a panoramic of the site from the northeast corner. Sorry my finger got in the way.
ScFVPan.jpg

Here are the cabinets up close.
ScFVCabinets.jpg

But just in case it wasn't clear this is Tesla, the 8-pack box of bollards clearly says so
ScFVBollards.jpg

and a delivery from Fremont to 17940 Newhope St, Fountain Valley CA 92708. Being an 8-pack, perhaps that means 8 charging stalls?
This'll be fun to track the progress!

Last edited:
While thrilled about this SC, I am disappointed that it will only have 8 stalls. Irregardless of the needs of the 5, this is a massively busy route. My assumption is that Tesla would be putting put in more if there was available space.

It will be interesting to see if this new supercharger location takes the pressure off San Juan Capistrano, or if it just attracts more locals to supercharge who wouldn't have done it otherwise.
Always a good question. There is not a lot of local activity there. Sure, there are plenty of Teslas in OC. I think most would find it inconvenient. I am local, and will probably use it only once a month. The 405 traffic is pretty congested though. I am sure that there will be plenty of people traveling that route who will want to use it.

This is huge and will definitely help to alleviate congestion at SJC now that San Diego is open as well. I continue to be impressed by Tesla. The SC network is critical to support sales and overall satisfaction and real world usability. 35,000 miles on my S85 in 9 months. 90% of charging at SC locations.

The permit drawings show 8 stalls, which are all located in the "A?" section of the photo on Page-2 of this thread. This is an extremely busy parking lot, as it also serves a Costco. The street on the left is Newhope Street, and the street below the Soup Plantation is Talbert Ave. Talbert turns into MacArthur on the east side of the flood control channel (also called the Santa Ana River). This charger is located near the corner of these two streets, on the north side of the 405 Fwy. It is 2 stoplights from the northbound 405 Euclid St. exit, through 2 stoplights, roughly 300 meters apart. Access to the parking lot from northbound Newbope is a right turn just before the PetSmart. From eastbound Talbert the access is a left across Talbert at the Newhope light and immediately right into the parking lot. From the southbound 405 at the Euclid exit, one must go under the 405, then at the next light turn right onto Newhope. Getting out onto westbound Talbert (and back to the freeway both north and south) means going around the Soup Plantation, right onto Talbert, then heading immediately for the left-turn lane onto Newhope south.

Since the permits were only actually issued yesterday, this is a great deal of progress. We can all hope that it goes up much faster than SJC or SD.

Last edited:
Not much activity at the site on Saturday 7/11/15. Here are several pictures of the status. I walked clockwise around the fence. The first photos show the 6 pedestals along the side of the building, then the staging area that has a large prefab concrete block (which I suspect is the footing for the 750KW utility power transformer) and chargers/cabinets. The final 2 pedestals are shown at right-angles to the other 6, on the Newhope Street side of the parking area. Further around the fence, between the back of the building and the sidewalk is a very deep hole where the transformer platform will go (it is shown on the permit drawings in this location). While it's hard to get the sense of the depth of the hole shown, it's easily deep enough for the whole concrete block to fit! The fence around the project is 6-feet high, so perhaps that helps provide some dimensions. The street was painted up by the Don't-Dig-Here guys in various interesting colors.
P1020524.JPG
P1020525.JPG
P1020529.JPG
P1020531.JPG
P1020533.JPG
P1020534.JPG
P1020535.JPG

I stopped at this Fountain Valley Supercharger site today (7/13/15) and shot this panoramic. I count six stalls near the PetSmart wall plus two more under construction on the left. There's a box with Tesla-labelled Supercharger enclosures next to the pad.

I don't remember seeing something like the concrete box with the orange holes at other SC sites during construction. It seems like a nice way to "hide" big power equipment like the transformer.

ScFVConcreteBox.jpg

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I think the concrete box is just a giant junction box for the utility transformer. It will be underground and the conduits will be sealed to where the orange plugs are. After all the conduit is set, they fill the dirt back around everything and place the pre-fab concrete pad on top like a lid. The utility transformer sits on top of the pad/lid. Long story short - I don't expect the transformer to be hidden at this installation.