Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fountain Valley (LIVE 28 Aug 2015, Expanded 27 Oct 2017, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full on the first weekend open? LOL, I was joking with them that would happen. Guess this is a good spot to drop by for lunch/dinner at Souplantation, Taco Bell, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc. Anybody getting something for their 4 legged friends at the Petsmart?

As to why there are 8 stalls as opposed to 12? Southern CA Edison was "hesitant" to allocate such a load to Tesla, perhaps perceiving that the use was not real. 8 stalls = 750 Kw transformer. 12 stalls = 1 MWatt transformer, and or Tesla Commercial battery storage. Yes, Teslas do draw electric power when supercharging.

Mountain View CA has 12 stalls and batteries, the photo shows presumably the battery controller/charger.

IMG_5426.JPG

While stuffing myself with healthy Souplantation lunchtime cuisine, this Supercharger stuffed my S with energy: 237 miles, up from 111, of range in 45 minutes. Seems to work perfectly.

Mine was one of six charging, so it gets busy at mealtime. Looks like its popularity is off to a strong start. 9/1/15

Correct. Cumulative energy delivered through Superchargers is about 11.8 million kWh:

Q: What are the latest Supercharger statistics? - Tesla Motors Wiki

At 12c/kWh that's about $1.4 million since Sept 2012. Tesla revenue is over $900 million per quarter:
That's from September 2012 to October 1st 2014.
There are A LOT more superchargers now and A LOT more cars now.
However I remember Elon saying that they get paid from some SC locations.
My guess is shopping malls would be one place where they don't pay for electricity.

I just visited the Costco in Van Nuys (sorry lotsofdriving, I much prefer your Costco, but I was staying in L.A. this weekend and I was long overdue for a stock-up). Good news is that I thoroughly enjoyed the 16 mile out-of-my-way drive. I was thinking how amazing of a location this would be. Yes, I know there is a Burbank location almost ready, but that is a tough on and off traveling on the 134. The Van Nuys Costco is just a couple of blocks from the 405, in a heavily traveled area.

Before anyone says it, yes, I am suggesting another 405 location. This is one of the busiest highways in the nation. Also, not in lieu of placing some on the 5. As the X, then III comes out, there will not be enough SC's. Even every 10 miles would be awesome. One day...

Had a very pleasant visit to FV this weekend. Stalls open Saturday morning, and many nice local places to go. I am pleading with folks to please have community and civil pride and not to litter at any of our supercharger sites. One guy left his EVannex packaging right there on the sidewalk - hey, take the time to go throw it away! Don't start the discussion about locals using superchargers - just take care of our community folks.

Last edited:
Had a very pleasant visit to FV this weekend. Stalls open Saturday morning, and many nice local places to go. I am pleading with folks to please have community and civil pride and not to litter at any of our supercharger sites. One guy left his EVannex packaging right there on the sidewalk - hey, take the time to go throw it away! Don't start the discussion about locals using superchargers - just take care of our community folks. Here's a pic

Let's be careful about who we shame. This could be an innocent mistake. Otherwise, I agree with keeping our SC's clean.

Along the same lines... Lots of Costco carts, so I took one with me to shop with...

The Fountain Valley @Costco is by a @TeslaMotors Supercharger, lots of carts to pick up! by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

I even told the Costco cart-guy that there were a bunch by the SC, he ignored me.

I liked the ones all over the place and stacked them away from the SCs.
I can totally relate to this. I am certainly guilty. The lot is so huge, and in this heat, no one wants to walk really far with an empty cart to return it to a designated section. To make up for it, like you, I always try to grab an empty cart in a lot and use that one.

How was the congestion when you were there? Looks like there were some open spots.

I can totally relate to this. I am certainly guilty. The lot is so huge, and in this heat, no one wants to walk really far with an empty cart to return it to a designated section. To make up for it, like you, I always try to grab an empty cart in a lot and use that one.

How was the congestion when you were there? Looks like there were some open spots.

Pretty open when I got there to shop. At least one free, if not two by the time I left.

I ended up speaking with a few local MS owners to invite to the OC Tesla group that I help run with @Capt601 and @Apoclyps founded.

Also spoke to a few folks who were curious about Model S and showed off the car and my 49,000 miles... (One really paranoid guy who spoke of Space and stuff)

Funny enough, on my way back from Starbucks, a guy in a truck asked me if I knew where the next nearest as station one (he didn't want to wait on the Costco line). Had to tell him that I don't pay attention to that because I drive electric.

Dennis,

Thank you for cleaning up the shopping carts.

I am looking to get some trash cans installed nearby, and at some considerable monthly expense, have instructed the street sweepers to be on site every night, as opposed to 3x/week as is needed for the rest of the center, this should help with the trash, and keep it from blowing across the street into the nearby field, where they actually grow fresh produce, and occasionally sell it in a farmer's market stall.

Have also notified Costco (again) about the carts, and formally requested they pick them up at least 1 or 2x/day, and especially after evening close, so as to not leave carts out there overnight where they could become a problem.

As I am not local, your comments, and feedback are very helpful!

Thank you,

Mark,

Mark,
Thank you for your efforts. Typically, superchargers are fairly clean areas. A nearby trash can would be much appreciated though, as few other SC's have them, and is a frequently requested item. As far as street sweeping, I would find it surprising that Tesla owners would contribute to any mess. I think the one example above is an uncommon occurrence.

Last Saturday morning at FV SC, I picked up 3 discarded plastic drink cups, an empty box that might
have held something like an air filter, and numerous paper/plastic wrapper scraps. However, one should
note that there are 17 regular parking spaces there, in addition to the 8 SC spaces. Although there is
a trash can in front of the Petsmart store, it has a small mouth (so the box would not go in), and was
basically full at about 10:30 in the morning (Saturday).

One might consider hauling away your own trash, and always leaving an area a bit better
cared for when you leave than when you got there. Apparently some feel entitled to litter.

Last Saturday morning at FV SC, I picked up 3 discarded plastic drink cups, an empty box that might
have held something like an air filter, and numerous paper/plastic wrapper scraps. However, one should
note that there are 17 regular parking spaces there, in addition to the 8 SC spaces. Although there is
a trash can in front of the Petsmart store, it has a small mouth (so the box would not go in), and was
basically full at about 10:30 in the morning (Saturday).

One might consider hauling away your own trash, and always leaving an area a bit better
cared for when you leave than when you got there. Apparently some feel entitled to litter.

Based on the 17 other spots, the volume of trash there, and the fact that this is rarely a problem at other SC's, I highly suspect this is not a Tesla owner issue. Tesla owners tend to be a meticulous group, with some pride in their vehicles. I doubt they would suddenly feel the need to litter elsewhere just to keep their own vehicles clean. Regardless, sounds like additional trash cans are needed. Mark's efforts are much appreciated! Thank you!