Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fountain Valley (LIVE 28 Aug 2015, Expanded 27 Oct 2017, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this expansion to this site does get approval, my guess is this is it for that particular location. The commissioner that was the hold out and flipped suggested some other locations in their city...

Makes sense. That plaza does get pretty full during peak times. I'm curious what other locations would be good candidates for a station. The concentration of Teslas in this area requires one (or two) of those new 40-stall designs.

Reactions: Macbest
Looks like there will be 16 stalls upon completion of the expansion:
http://www.fountainvalley.org/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_08092017-380

Edit: Link updated. The prior document I linked was the preliminary agenda. The current link provides the minutes and final recommendation. The discussion begins on page 111.

Notes:
  • 4 of the 16 spots "will be 'enabled' and available for general parking".
  • The permit expires on August 9, 2018
Will construction impact any of the existing stalls? Is so, could it be possible that they begin construction after San Clemente is completed?

Last edited:
In my experience, they don't walk. A spouse sits in a Toyota with engine and AC running until a stall opens up for the Tesla. Then they plug in and drive away in the ICE. All this to save $5 worth of electricity at home. :(
You've seen exactly what I have observed at the FV SpC on two occasions. This behavior disgusts me, but if they are assessed $24/hr idle fees for not getting back when charged, that MIGHT encourage them to spend 1/10th that amount on their home electric bill. I suspect they do this to get "free" fuel and avoid charging at home.

I suppose they might set their charge level to 100% so the maximum time at the SpC is used (to minimize idle fees), and perhaps that's their karma: faster battery degradation due to excessive SpC use and charging >90% routinely.

(I've used the FV SpC three times since it opened,out of necessity when I forgot to plug in the night before or when charging failed. But I stayed in my car and left when I had enough to make it to work and return home.)

Reactions: Vern Padgett
From Reddit, it looks like the construction for the expansion of the FV Supercharger has begun.

Photo Galley from the Reddit Thread

MRs6UnK.jpg

Photo credit: u/kutrod

And that's really the sticking point. A planning commission is unlikely to be willing to approve this sort of thing while there is still an open objection from one of the other owners. Cities dislike getting pulled into ownership squabbles.
From the sounds of it, this looks like governance working the way it should. (We rarely get to see that any more, but heck, I suppose it goes on all the time, and we just don't know it.)