TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Nilnoc, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

Does anyone have information on the location and timing for the planned Frederick, Maryland supercharger? It is supposed to be coming this year.

Tesla seems to be making deals with Sheetz, Wawa and Royal Farms to locate chargers. I've noticed the recent supercharger openings near Cleveland are both at Sheetz stations.

My bet for the future Frederick location is the Sheetz at East Patrick Street and Monacacy Blvd. It has easy access to I-70 and is not too far off I-270/Rt. 15. There are multiple fast food options within 500 feet. There is another Frederick Sheetz near Francis Scott Key Mall. Convenient to I-270, but not not so much to I-70.

If it's not located at a Sheetz, I have no clue where Tesla will put it.

• Funny x 1
  2. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

Went hunting for the future supercharger. The manager at the Walkersville Sheetz knew nothing. And could care less. The manager at the East Patrick St. Sheetz knew that his company was making deals with Tesla and the chargers were moving south. He said he’d make inquiries, and I could come back in a week for more information.

• Informative x 2
  3. MMC-

MMC- S70D Refresh > S75D. "*MADE ON EARTH BY HUMANS*"

You know this might not be going into a Sheetz. There are some hotels off of Buckeystown Pike (route 85) such as a Courtyard and some others that might be the host. Also there is a royal farms being rebuilt at 7402 Shockley Blvd. Frederick. Since Royal Farms has a agreement with Tesla also this warrants watching.

4. Darren S

Darren S Supporting Member

Hotels are an awful choice imho for a supercharger since most vehicles would be fully charged in ~1 hr. It makes more sense for a hotel to have a Destination charger where 6+ hrs are needed for a full charge and that works out well for a night at a hotel and for superchargers to be located where folks are making <1 hr stops.

I've enjoyed the locations that are near something that is open 24x7 such as Gas Stations / Convenience Stores / Grocery Stores (Sheetz, WaWa, Royal Farms, Meijer, Chevron, Truck Stops, etc.) and they are so much better of an option than the locations that are closed after 8 or 9 PM (Shopping Malls, Strip Malls, Restaurants, etc.).

• Like x 5
  5. MMC-

I fully agree on the issues with hotels. We know however that some have been sites have been built at them.

Personally I think the Royal Farms is going to host as they and Wawa seem to be the go to locations for Tesla as of late.

6. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

Hotels are the worst place, in my opinion. The Rocky Mount, NC supercharger is between two hotels, with nothing else around. Don’t like walking past the desk to try to find the potty.

The two Cleveland area superchargers opened this year are each at a Sheetz. On my recent trip from Frederick to South Bend, 3 of the 4 charging stops I made were at a Sheetz. The south Frederick Royal Farms is a possibility. I wonder whether Tesla wants to or does not want to locate directly between a Toyota and a Honda dealer?

7. Reddy Kilowatt

I just ran out to Ohio and used an SC at a Hampton Inn. It was four stalls. I had to pass all the restaurants and Sheetz. Pull into the site and there are 4 SuperChargers not destination chargers. It really was odd to see them at a hotel. I would hate to ice a spot if I was staying there for the night. I would think I would check in and lug all my stuff in for the night and the car would be completely charged. I guess I would make another trip down stairs to move the car to an regular spot.

I did go into the hotel and used the bathroom. I saw the breakfast bar and started wondering?? Should I, no one is policing the thing.;) I didn't but it did make me wonder. I am a Hilton Honors member. Guess I was Honest.

I still wonder about the Sheetz up in Walkersville, it's off the beaten path but they have that large parking lot in the rear all fenced off. Someone has set up a temporary office on lot and fenced it off. I believe it is a police barracks for now.

8. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

Noticed another likely spot yesterday, the 154th anniversary of Battle of Monocacy, the battle that saved Washington from Jubal Early’s invading confederates. There is a Wawa on Urbana Pike across from the Target. Space looks big enough, and it’s close to food and shopping. Easy to get to off I-270 and I-70.

• Disagree x 1
  9. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Speaking of hotels, we had a discussion on Facebook (I need to stop doing that, the quality goes downhill quickly; if you think TMC can be back.. eek) about this topic.

The placement of the Supercharger at National Harbor, for example, is another case. Is it for guests there for a function? You can't be staying there or you'd have the same issue, charged in an hour and have to come back. People passing by on 95 need to pay for parking to use it. Useless. Another bad choice by Tesla, everyone seems to gather. (Sorry for the semi-OT, but hotels do seem to be a bad choice, especially pay to play ones!)

10. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

I wrote to the mayor of the City of Frederick yesterday. Basically, the city knows nothing of the location of a future supercharger. No construction permit has been requested or issued at this time. I was advised to contact Tesla. o_O

• Informative x 1
  11. MMC-

Could be outside of the city. A lot of areas there which you think are in the city are not. For instance the new Royal Farms on Buckeystown Pike is not in the city. I think the sheetz at the other end of Buckeystown which was also a possible location is not in the city.

12. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

Unfortunately for National Harbor they changed the rules on Tesla - that’s why there are new ones at the Springfield Mall now - National Harbor got tired of trying to police the Superchargers as Tesla owners were coming to eat meals at the restaurants and rather than pay for the obnoxious parking rates they parked at the Superchargers (not that I did that myself...:oops:).

One of my friends who deals with the management company said that was the reason for the change...maybe it was also because they got tired of paying for the power - but reality is that is why folks host Superchargers, Tesla owners spend $$$ and they want the captured customers...bad move on their end...

13. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Thanks for the OT update. :D I did think there was an exemption originally but all I heard recently was complaining about having to pay. Seems like it should be charge and move or then pay.

14. gnuarm

gnuarm Model X 100 with 72 kW chargers

The charger might not be in the city limits. Did you check with the county?

15. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

No supercharger permit issued yet by the county through July 31. Several permits for Tesla solar panel installations.

16. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

Having now visited superchargers 39 times since getting my Model X, I would say the best locations are near shopping (malls) and multiple restaurant choices. The worst are next to hotels with nothing but the hotel nearby. In the middle are places like Wawa and Sheetz (potty and snacks).

So my now-preferred location for the Frederick supercharger is in the spacious parking lot of the Francis Scott Key Mall. There is shopping and there are sit-down restaurants. I've written to mall management.

17. Reddy Kilowatt

I would agree as long as it is during normal business hours. I got stuck at the Hagerstown charging station at about 5 of 9 on night only to see them lock up the food court. I had to walk all the way up to the Longhorn to get a late night dinner.

I still think we will wind up with a Sheetz in Frederick someday.

• Like x 1
  18. mpg33095

mpg33095 New Member

There is a sign on in the field behind Eastgate Shopping Center off of Monocacy Blvd where Roy Rogers is and Sheets that a Royal Farms is coming soon literally just as you exist 70 from the westbound ramp. I'm thinking maybe that is the location. Building a shopping center there with Royal Farms being the anchor.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  19. gnuarm

gnuarm Model X 100 with 72 kW chargers

Now I will be motivated by fear! I can honestly say I think gas stations are the worst possible locations for chargers. This part of Frederick is the worst of the worst. There is literally nothing in walking distance other than fast food and a couple of liquor stores. Both liquor stores do have decent deli counters even if no place to sit down. This location already has some of the worst traffic in the town, not to mention the many sink holes. You can see a few in the aerial photos of the property. Adding entrances for another shopping center here would really muck it up. At one time they were going to close this highway exit entirely by opening one next to the overpass of Rt 144. I wonder if that may still happen.

I am going to get in touch with the management of the FSK mall and see if I can light a fire under them to contact Tesla. This is a MUCH better location with some six or eight adequate restaurants and an entire shopping mall.

20. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

FSK mall is sad. It will likely not outlive a supercharger.

I'd much rather charge at a site with multiple fast food choices and a place where I can pee 24-7.

• Disagree x 1