Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charger 3B was not working for me on Wednesday 11/27. Another gentleman also said he had tried a different bad charger as well, though I don't know the stall number. He'd had the misfortune of parking in that bad stall then moving to 3B, then onto a third one once I let him know 3B was bad... maybe it was YYZ-IAD who posted above?

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
Hi - wasnt me you talked to - but appreciate you did fine accounting of no-op units - and are helpful to others.

When you call the 800 number and push buttons for help with charging they specifically tell you there is no need to report problems with chargers, they report themselves. I'm not sure when though. On a number of occasions I have reached a person to report a charger and they told me there was no previous record of the problem.

As much a problem is not knowing if there is a problem with the charger until you try it. One time I tied a knot in the cord of a charger that wasn't working, moved to another stall and before I got out a family pulled into the spot I had just left and took out the knot to try the charger for themselves. Try tying those cables in a knot, it's not so easy. Tesla needs a way to indicate visually a pedestal is not working.

When you call the 800 number and push buttons for help with charging they specifically tell you there is no need to report problems with chargers, they report themselves. I'm not sure when though. On a number of occasions I have reached a person to report a charger and they told me there was no previous record of the problem.

As much a problem is not knowing if there is a problem with the charger until you try it. One time I tied a knot in the cord of a charger that wasn't working, moved to another stall and before I got out a family pulled into the spot I had just left and took out the knot to try the charger for themselves. Try tying those cables in a knot, it's not so easy. Tesla needs a way to indicate visually a pedestal is not working.
Despite that specific statement, Tesla does NOT always know of problems. I know because just today, after receiving an unsatisfactory answer to an email report I made, I spoke to a rep who told me the system was reflecting no errors at that site. I recommend calling them, and being persistent until you’re satisfied it is being taken seriously.

Despite that specific statement, Tesla does NOT always know of problems. I know because just today, after receiving an unsatisfactory answer to an email report I made, I spoke to a rep who told me the system was reflecting no errors at that site. I recommend calling them, and being persistent until you’re satisfied it is being taken seriously.

To be honest, I'm sick of calling Tesla, waiting on hold, only to get someone who knows less than I DO!!!

WHEN IS TESLA GOING TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER??? I get that they are squeezed for money, but I bought a new car, only the second one in my life, and their seemingly lack of support has made me wish I had waited for a competent car company to make a decent EV.

WHEN IS TESLA GOING TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER??? I get that they are squeezed for money, but I bought a new car, only the second one in my life, and their seemingly lack of support has made me wish I had waited for a competent car company to make a decent EV.
Ever call Ford, Chevy, etc etc and try to get a response out of them? No chance. No other car company besides Tesla has ever done continuous improvement by giving frequent software updates. Many of us believe, on balance, they DO have their act together.

Ever call Ford, Chevy, etc etc and try to get a response out of them? No chance. No other car company besides Tesla has ever done continuous improvement by giving frequent software updates. Many of us believe, on balance, they DO have their act together.

I don't need to call Chevy or Ford or VW to get gas in my tank. Not once, but twice I have had to call Tesla because my car would not charge properly at a Supercharger. The wait in both cases was on the order of 40 minutes. Sorry, that is not having their act together.

Tesla careens from one type of "hell" to another as reported by Elon Musk himself.

People look at the "cool" things they do, but paper over the cracks in their foundation. This is why they sell to the "early adopters" but will fail if they continue to operate this way once the mainstream automakers get in the act.

This isn't a thread about Tesla's failings. So I'll not post further on this and say I'm glad the Frederick chargers are installed even if they are only working 8 or 9 out of 10.

BTW, I have contacted Toyota about one of their service centers. The service center was a total ripoff. I expect they share a lot of employees with the Tesla Richmond service center. The Toyota corporate people were responsive, but could only put me in touch with the general manager at the dealership.

I have taken to carrying a roll of Red Tape w a black Marker in my frunk to help mark bad Chargers.

I have taken to carrying a roll of Red Tape w a black Marker in my frunk to help mark bad Chargers.

Should we start a new topic on the forum for "bad super chargers" and maybe Tesla will read the topic, and react?

I was at a SC in Conn last January. As soon as I plugged in i got a red fault indication. I wasted the time calling it in. Another person was like Yea that pedestal hasn't worked for months.

I met a Tesla tech at the Hanover site. he was loaded for bear repairing super chargers. Cables, charger modules, oil and other miscellaneous part for what ever he ran into. He was traveling from site to site, checking everything over. "tuning up the site". He came up from Georgia because the Tech for the mid Atlantic region had quit and they were short handed. I forgot if he said the chargers will report faults or not. I don't think so because I never see phone lines in the construction photos. the cars report usage correct?

How long was Leesburg screwed up. At least the site is open though correct. :)

hould we start a new topic on the forum for "bad super chargers" and maybe Tesla will read the topic, and react?

I was at a SC in Conn last January. As soon as I plugged in i got a red fault indication. I wasted the time calling it in. Another person was like Yea that pedestal hasn't worked for months.

I met a Tesla tech at the Hanover site. he was loaded for bear repairing super chargers. Cables, charger modules, oil and other miscellaneous part for what ever he ran into. He was traveling from site to site, checking everything over. "tuning up the site". He came up from Georgia because the Tech for the mid Atlantic region had quit and they were short handed. I forgot if he said the chargers will report faults or not. I don't think so because I never see phone lines in the construction photos. the cars report usage correct?

I met a Service Tech at the RIO - Gaithersburg, said he was from out of town as well. When I was in California, I recommend that Tesla add a button to their Changing screen to report a bad charger. They do need a better way to report them and to let people know they have been reported. They may also need more Techs.

Should we start a new topic on the forum for "bad super chargers" and maybe Tesla will read the topic, and react?

How long was Leesburg screwed up. At least the site is open though correct. :)

Each Supercharger cabinet has a cellular modem in it. The antenna is the black square on the front of the charging cabinet.

Each Supercharger cabinet has a cellular modem in it. The antenna is the black square on the front of the charging cabinet.

Now does it phone home when it breaks? I would think the pedestals are not the brains but the cabinets would be.
Also ever notice when you pull up to sites and 6 of 8 are available yet no one is there? Do they know there down and its just the lack of manpower to get out and service them, with the parts on back order? I do know the tech I met was working with parts shipping to Tyson's Service Center.

Not only do we have to worry about broken chargers, apparently we need to revisit simple charging etiquette.

it’s clear that you won’t be charged an idle fee for sitting there with the charger unplugged, why waste a usable charger?

35BF22EE-BE59-490A-8F95-40ED38240356.jpeg