Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is good news! We bought our Model S in August of 2017 and have used Superchargers a couple of times, but this will be very convenient for us since our daughter lives in Frederick. Hopefully there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony, would love to attend our first one.

Hi, Frederick resident here! Excited about the potential new superchargers coming to the community, but wanted to alert fellow members that there are three Tesla chargers available at Wilcom's Inn, which is located off of Fingerboard Rd in Urbana/Monrovia. It's kind of out of the way, but if you're traveling through and want to stop for a quick meal or drink (EXCELLENT food btw) then you have some options. We just found out about it last week and it was a nice surprise, even though we'll never really need to use it since we live only a few miles from the restaurant.

Hi, Frederick resident here! Excited about the potential new superchargers coming to the community, but wanted to alert fellow members that there are three Tesla chargers available at Wilcom's Inn, which is located off of Fingerboard Rd in Urbana/Monrovia. It's kind of out of the way, but if you're traveling through and want to stop for a quick meal or drink (EXCELLENT food btw) then you have some options. We just found out about it last week and it was a nice surprise, even though we'll never really need to use it since we live only a few miles from the restaurant.

I have yet to visit the destination chargers at Wilcom's Inn. Interesting fact, this is the site of the former 75-80 drag strip. I wish it were still operating as I'd love to pit my X against a few ICE challengers.

My Crystal Ball is foggy but it's showing the TESLA stations up from BJ's towards JCPenney. Work to be turned on in June. It can't see the number of stations yet. Oh it just went dark again.

I'm not clear what "up from BJ's towards JCPenney" means. If you are saying they will be along the spaces next to Spectrum Dr and opposite the Olive Garden/empty building I agree. In fact, I expect them next to the traffic light along Spectrum Dr. The bright red Tesla signs will get a lot of exposure there. I'm not expecting them to be any closer to the main mall building. They seem to put them some distance from the malls. I assume so people don't ICE them.

Coincidentally my wife and I just visited the Wilkom Inn for the 1st time yesterday for lunch. The parking lot was full. Of the 3 Tesla chargers, one was occupied by a Model 3 and 2 were iced. The food was good, though a little salty. Including ours, there were four Teslas that showed up. I think word got around.

I was curious about the drag racing art so asked and learned the place was a red neck dive bar until the dragstrip closed 4 years ago. The new owners, of Peruvian descent, kept the dragstrip theme and use checkered flags as part of their logo. I had Peruvian stir fried chicken and liked it. The wine list is two closely spaced pages. Sous vide steaks finished over flame seem to be signature items. Lomo.

Reactions: Big Earl
I went by the site
I'm not clear what "up from BJ's towards JCPenney" means. If you are saying they will be along the spaces next to Spectrum Dr and opposite the Olive Garden/empty building I agree. In fact, I expect them next to the traffic light along Spectrum Dr. The bright red Tesla signs will get a lot of exposure there. I'm not expecting them to be any closer to the main mall building. They seem to put them some distance from the malls. I assume so people don't ICE them.
on Saturday.

I went up to the mall saturday night. The new chargers, according to my Crystal ball would actually be across Lowes lane farther away from BJ's than I thought. there is a group of 14 spaces. I bet that is where they go. I would post the spots if I could figure out how to embed a google map.

I agree Tesla stay far away from mall buildings to avoid Icing. I would not want to be near the buildings and get iced. We have "hybrid parking spots in South Riding that are iced 24/7.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any info on which section of the parking lot it would be in, so people will just have to keep their eyes open for signs of construction activity. From looking at the map, I hope it's on the JCPenny side. Maybe here? But that's just a guess.

I got it in one! The above link (in the quote: "here?") to the google map with my initial guess for the future location of the superchargers does in fact pinpoint pretty much the center of the install. However, sometime between the initial application when the description of the project was written and September 2018 when the final planning approval was granted for the project, the number of charging stalls seems to have dropped by 2. So it looks like there will actually only be 10 stalls (at least initially, who knows about future expansions), not 12 stalls as I previously reported. But at least they'll be of the traditional-style, 120 kW variety.

GPS: 39.384694, -77.405528

Frederick, MD supercharger layout.JPG

10 stalls is fine. That’s a very good location for traveling I-270 and I-70. Easy in, easy out with plenty of things to do while you wait. It might sound silly, but I’m particularly happy about the trees. We like to hang out under them on nice days in the summer and have a picnic lunch.

I got it in one! The above link (in the quote: "here?") to the google map with my initial guess for the future location of the superchargers does in fact pinpoint pretty much the center of the install. However, sometime between the initial application when the description of the project was written and September 2018 when the final planning approval was granted for the project, the number of charging stalls seems to have dropped by 2. So it looks like there will actually only be 10 stalls (at least initially, who knows about future expansions), not 12 stalls as I previously reported. But at least they'll be of the traditional-style, 120 kW variety.

GPS: 39.384694, -77.405528

View attachment 368040

Yep that is the spot I noted above, glad to see a print. It would be nicer to see some construction begin.

Reactions: mociaf9
I see they are placing one charger next to protruding curb. I wonder why they didn't put one charger in there nearer the roadway. I always wondered why they do that on some installations until someone pointed out it allows cars with trailers or bike carriers to charge. At least here you could uncouple your trailer, there is always plenty of room to leave it. Bikers will have a problem still.

Yes. Stopped by yesterday (Saturday) and the same. Could be weather related or payment issues. Even though Tesla is promising to continue to roll out the momentum on Superchargers, they are showing some growing pains with layoffs, cost cutting and INCREASING the Supercharger costs to owners! (the ones that don't get grandfathered in).

Though as far as washer fluid is concerned shouldn’t it already have antifreeze mixed in?

Yes. Stopped by yesterday (Saturday) and the same. Could be weather related or payment issues. Even though Tesla is promising to continue to roll out the momentum on Superchargers, they are showing some growing pains with layoffs, cost cutting and INCREASING the Supercharger costs to owners! (the ones that don't get grandfathered in).

Tesla is always slow on building out SC locations. I would not look for any construction here until March/April. I hope I'm wrong though.
Look at Tysons it's been sitting there forever, with a Permit and no signs of construction.

I don't know how much Tesla's finances control there SC buildouts. I would think they would keep forging ahead, for the customer relations. The tight labor market might be a bigger factor. If they don't get a price they like they will wait it out.

I think the layoff's are both a result of house cleaning after the ramp up as well as positions are now not needed as a result of the 3 line maturing. I think the last lay off didn't Tesla wind up with more workers than before. It could also be due to the 75 shut down while they retool for what is coming next.

Reactions: RTPEV
I don't know how much Tesla's finances control there SC buildouts. I would think they would keep forging ahead, for the customer relations. The tight labor market might be a bigger factor. If they don't get a price they like they will wait it out.

I spoke with the guys doing concrete work for the Haymarket installation and they seemed to be saying they didn't get paid a lot for the job. They also came all the way from PA. I think the "tight" labor market is a regional thing. I can find plenty of workers in central VA.

I think the layoff's are both a result of house cleaning after the ramp up as well as positions are now not needed as a result of the 3 line maturing. I think the last lay off didn't Tesla wind up with more workers than before. It could also be due to the 75 shut down while they retool for what is coming next.

I think you are being very generous with the layoff rationale. It was not even a year ago they laid off 4,000 people in the midst of ramping up model 3 production. This time the layoffs are specifically tied to lowering costs to enable low end model 3 profitability. I suppose the frequency of layoffs might suggest it is a matter of house cleaning. I hate to think they need to do things that way, hire, fire, hire, fire. I used to work in defense around the DC beltway and those companies all did that. So of course there was no loyalty in either direction, not a great work environment.

Increase away! It's still cheaper than gas and I wouldn't be using them that much anyway. If increasing the price keeps the Supercharger network growing and well maintained, and discourages tying up stalls by people that don't actually need them and just looking for a cheap charge, then I'm all for it.

Now I do think that for people that would be legitimate frequent users due to lack of personal charging infrastructure, that some kind of monthly plan that would provide a discount should be offered.

Increase away! It's still cheaper than gas and I wouldn't be using them that much anyway. If increasing the price keeps the Supercharger network growing and well maintained, and discourages tying up stalls by people that don't actually need them and just looking for a cheap charge, then I'm all for it.

Now I do think that for people that would be legitimate frequent users due to lack of personal charging infrastructure, that some kind of monthly plan that would provide a discount should be offered.

That depends on what gas vehicle you're comparing it to. With winter efficiency, the cost per mile of a Model 3 on a road trip is about double what it would cost to drive a Toyota Prius. Of course, the 3 is a much nicer car and I'd rather drive it, even at twice the cost. Other people might choose the Prius, which would be another ICE sale instead of an EV sale.

My apologies for continuing the off-topic discussion of supercharger pricing. We really should get back to talking about Frederick.

Agree, Frederick was the topic.

Some other thoughts about this location.

There are not a lot of 24 hour bathroom/amenities options for this location. There is a Sheetz and WaWa down the road (about .5 miles in each direction), but you will have to cross a boulevard, and deal with some interesting folks in the late hours of the night/morning. During the day or normal restaurant business hours, there are quite a few options with many, many restaurants and the FSK mall next store.

The old Tilted Kilt was across the street and has since been shut down, to be replaced by a Buffalo Wings type of place. That's unfortunate about the Tilted Kilt - at least for the men or women that like that kind of environment.

As far as the increase in charging for Superchargers, I think that is a good thing. Those superchargers that Tesla has deployed is HUGE value to their eco-system, and that has given them a leg up on the competition for inter state and longer travel needs. This will probably get them a lot of early market share that will hold for a good amount of time. I don't mind paying as needed when traveling a longer distance. I think the cost is now 33 cents per Kw. That would be $33 for a full charge on a 100kw battery. Not that bad for long haul travel.