TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Nilnoc, Mar 1, 2018.

1. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

Unfortunately the Gaithersburg SC is always full of people going shopping, which means there isn't a chance of that one being freed up by placing other chargers in the region.

2. RTPEV

RTPEV Member

I don't know...Frederick is a pretty key stopping point when traveling on US-15. I know that I personally use this route 1-2X per year (going in both directions), although I also usually find this a convenient overnight stop, so I would probably stop at Marriott TownPlace Suites (very EV/eco-friendly hotel) rather than Supercharge.

• Like x 1
  3. Walker34

Walker34 Member

A3E73BE6-C41D-41CB-B589-9C1C85D89001.jpeg Had some time to kill on Sunday, so stopped at MOM’s to test their CHAdeMO. Worked fine. Weird that it works for some and not others. 2013 P85 with dual chargers. I will try our Model X the next time in the area.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. MMC-

MMC- S70D Refresh > S75D. "*MADE ON EARTH BY HUMANS*"

#104 MMC-, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Fyi.. dual chargers have nothing to do with CHAdeMO charging. They are strictly for A/C charging. But it's good to know that your car will charge there. Have you had any failure there before? I'll try to get by there myself in the next few days to test it with my 2016 S which has failed there regularly for the past year or so.

Edit..

When you try your X will it be with the same CHAdeMO adapter? That would be interesting to find out. I don't think we've isolated that aspect of the issue.

• Like x 1
  5. Lanny

Lanny ~

We were at MOM's yesterday at 5:00 PM in a 2015 70D and it failed on all three attempts. Will be interested in your experience @MMC-

Lanny

6. Reddy Kilowatt

Anyone go by the site lately?

Any paint marks on the ground or signs of the power company running cable up from the restaurant. The power company has more work to do than Tesla does.

7. Walker34

Walker34 Member

I drove by the proposed sight on Sunday and nothing has been done, yet.

8. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

Did she even consider what she's not spending on gas? o_O

9. gnuarm

gnuarm Model X 100 with 72 kW chargers

I tried to explain that to her. Sometimes you just need to know when to quit.

On another note, I took a picture today of my car at the Frederick Superchargers. My friends were inside visiting the Easter bunny with their kids and I wanted pick up a few kWh.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 3
  10. gnuarm

So how's your crystal ball looking? Haymarket works ok for me during the summer months. I just have to stop in both directions if I've done much local driving. But in the winter the range gets so bad it's hard to even make it back to Haymarket with confidence in spite of the fact it is only 50 odd miles each way.

I'm getting pretty doubtful of completion anywhere near June if nothing has even started yet. I just hope this charger gets in before winter... which I'm also not confident in.

11. Reddy Kilowatt

Not to good. I got an "On Hold" It should have been started by now to make that June prediction.

I swear if someone (like Leesburg) does something wrong they get pushed to the end of the line or dumped all together. which we have seen a lot of around town here lately. Things are busy around town, you miss a date, they tell you "call us when you get your S*** together", then we will put you on the schedule.

12. gnuarm

What could someone do wrong at this point? Is it one of those things where you can't know if you have done everything right or not? I got that impression reading the drama on one of the other chargers, maybe Annapolis. I seem to recall many inspection failures and lots of speculation on what was wrong including stickers. I'd think inspections would be very different from planning.

13. Reddy Kilowatt

Everything can go wrong. They have to get the permits, do load calculations. Pay for the incoming service, this is not free, and as far as they have to run the service for this one it could get costly. A lot of people are involved in public utilities, and they have to approve it every inch of the way.
    With the digital systems everyone is running something can fall through the cracks in a blink of an eye, I'm trying to get a building permit right now on a job. How do you talk to a computer, when no one replies to your email requests. Even with the paper method, I remember a site where one person left a file sit on their desk to long the person who it was to be returned to left for a two month vacation and bang six months down the drain. Probably need two minutes to review the file and simply forgot. Someone has to police all these sites and endlessly chase someone around to get things done. In a city environment this can really drag out where a site like Gainesville is a small jurisdiction and shot right through the process. I have pulled permits in Frederick and walk into the permit office and everyone is in the same room. Got a question scream across the room. Tesla just needs to get it there.

Look at Fairfax, the reviewers just ask endless questions about nothing holding up permits. That site a Kohls sat there forever, turned out not to even be Tesla.

With permitting and public utilities you can really get the run around trying to do the simplitist of jobs. get used to "you need this first" :mad: I have had jobs where the permit process takes more time than the job itself.

• Informative x 1
  14. gnuarm

I meant, what could have gone wrong to this point that would have delayed it before anything had happened? I thought they had the permits already? I guess there are more permits for the new lines? Paying isn't hard, it just has to be done and I would believe that is the part being delayed. Tesla is a hurting pup for money these days and it's only going to get worse. I may have made my worst investment ever by buying an overpriced golf cart... ;)

That has nothing to do with computers or anything else other than a poorly run office. When people are not rewarded for good work and punished for mistakes,performance suffers. This is nearly always a matter of poor management.

Ok, that's why I'm asking what can go wrong.

Bottom line is the people involved don't have an incentive to make things happen. If it is government we know how to fix it, but it requires getting people to make it into an election issue and take action at the polls.

I lived in Fairfax in the late 80's when traffic had become a disaster. The entire Board of Supervisors was removed from office over the issue regardless of whether they were part of the problem or not. But mostly voters don't care about much. After all, our problems are mostly 1st world problems... BTW, traffic never got any better, we were all just pissed and we felt a little better having a voting booth to vent our anger in.

• Helpful x 1
  15. Reddy Kilowatt

They might have a building permit but not the electrical. I have forgotten what we know for sure. They may only have a Q number, which is plan submittal.

You are correct. But politics may not come into play at this level, unless the local opinion is to slow down development.

I remember it also. Mainly when the southern districts alway over road our needs. " the gods intended it that way" said the former politician.

t this point are you able to make a round trip from Gainesville to Frederick and back? I know it will be nice when it does open though. I have the crystal ball watching Leesburg but that one has gone really quite. I'll drive by tomorrow and see if there is any movement on my way out of town.

16. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

Did a drive by today. Nada. Sad....

17. gnuarm

A week or so ago I noticed there were some paint makings on the ground around the transformer across the street and even some on this side of the intersection near the charger location. They don't look fresh. I took pics, but they aren't very clear, so I won't post. I assume these are rather old paint marks? How long do these typically last?

18. Reddy Kilowatt

Typically 90 days is the norm for miss utility markings. (unless they used real paint) According to my Crystal ball the feed will come up the road from the Restaurant on the same side of the street.

How do you commute from the south. Do you pass through the Chapel hill area?

19. gnuarm

Yeah, I didn't consider there are a number of different permits that would be required.

Even in the winter I could make the trip if I charged to 90% at Haymarket in both directions I believe. It's around 60 miles each way which allows significant local driving without running short. I don't recall exactly why I had trouble with charging after Haymarket was up and running. I guess in winter the range is just not there to support much local driving.

Since there are many fewer Teslas in Frederick County than around Gaithersburg, I'm hoping there won't be too much crowding here. The one problem with Superchargers is trying to plan a stop only to find you are sharing a charger which means you might have plugged in minutes after the guy you are sharing with resulting in 36 kW for over half an hour before you get faster charging which will still be far below the 120 kW you were expecting. That's what I run into in Gaithersburg. Not only do I need to plan for an hour of driving, I have no way of knowing how long the charging might take.

I get the advantage of sharing the chargers this way, but it would be much more useful if Tesla provided some means of knowing the charging rates available at each charging bay. That should not be a hard to thing to do in the car.

20. gnuarm

If I come from South Carolina, I'm headed to my place near Lake Anna and use Rt 95. Rocky Mount is my preferred stop since it can be the only stop if I'm lucky... or I should say in the summer. I also use Chester which is at a Wawa which is ok. Rocky Mount has a couple of tolerable restaurants and is right near the company who makes my printed circuit boards, so I sometimes spend the night when stopping by for a production run. The Doubletree hotel is pretty good and the chargers are in the parking lot.