Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn’t getting notifications either.

Oddly looking at pictures I’m not seeing electricial work. It seams to be infrastructure work, like curbing . Unless the conduit work is buried under the dirt already. I see the pipe laying around though.

It did look a little odd at first. That area of the lot did not have any curbing so I guess they are doing that first. I would also guess they are doing the enclosure now so they can get all the concrete work done at the same time. Next week I'll try to get some closer pics. I expect we should start seeing some of that conduct in the trenches.

Monday June 24 7:10 PM definitive proof!

Not that there was really any doubt but I was able to capture a part of the drawings for this site in a picture. There is a blueprint packet that is on the inside of the fencing in a clear holder that I was able to capture a picture of the back which just so happens to be folded in such a manner that you can see the information about the site. Also a picture of the pad and the enclosure.
20190624_190630.jpg 20190624_190651.jpg
Well the enclosure/pad photo won't upload. I'll send it up later when I have a better connection.

MMC Thanks for the missing shot. Now it makes sense there doing the concrete work first and stubbing out the conduits. Now just hope they don’t crack the curbs doing the rest of the work.

Note on the approved drawings dated Sept 2018. That just goes to show how long things can take on the engineering side.

Reactions: MMC-
Thursday June 27 2019

No pictures tonight. No new hardware on site however there is a underground boring machine plus support equipment on site. They have done some prep to start the boring under the mall entrance driveway. I would guess this is for the primary power feed.

I'm out of town this weekend so no more updates from me till next week. :)

Frederick, MD

Along Primary Interstates: I-70
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-15, US-40
Along Auxiliary Interstates: I-270

I-70
To: Baltimore, MD (End) - 40.6 miles
Diversion: 2.7 miles*

Density on I-70, and a Supercharger on I-270 to/from Washington DC.

* Mapbox says when heading east, take I-270. Shorter from I-70.

Thursday June 27 2019

No pictures tonight. No new hardware on site however there is a underground boring machine plus support equipment on site. They have done some prep to start the boring under the mall entrance driveway. I would guess this is for the primary power feed.

I'm out of town this weekend so no more updates from me till next week. :)

Yes, That should be for the power company feed. They have to go all the way back to the transformer on the other side of the restaurant. The little transformer on the other side of the road might be single phase or to small of a feeder.Big job on utility side of project, AP is good to deal with ,they get stuff done. Hopefully get there side ready before Tesla and move as fast as Winchester did.

Thanks for the update.

Stopped by today and decided to just climb the fence and reach into the blueprint box to see what I can find. Here a few samplings of the more than 40 pages that are stuffed in the box, for your reading pleasure.

And, yes; I did return the blueprints to the their original state in the box - for the workers and inspectors to reference.

Pics are ok at best. Was getting over 90 deg outside today, and I had to get back in my ice-cube chilled Tesla!!!IMG_5432.JPGIMG_5432.JPGIMG_5432.JPGIMG_5432.JPGIMG_5432.JPGIMG_5426.JPGIMG_5424.JPGIMG_5432.JPGIMG_5431.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5430.JPG
    IMG_5430.JPG
    459.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5429.JPG
    IMG_5429.JPG
    485.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5428.JPG
    IMG_5428.JPG
    489.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5427.JPG
    IMG_5427.JPG
    476.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5425.JPG
    IMG_5425.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 68
34B55E8B-6B44-459D-9444-FE8A31A2B102.jpeg
Yesterday while coming home I stopped by the site and looked at things. First thing I noted was the pedestal feeder conduits are in fact run under all the dirt piles. There in groups of two in the forefront of the picture I didn’t notice them in MMC ‘s picture. How far there run I’m not sure, but the first are all the way to the new curb. These guys are moving. The pad is ready to pour. The prefab pedestal bases are on site, they probably just have to turn the pipes up and set in place with a second load of concrete.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MMC- and Thinkje
6C415915-1853-403B-B545-BA943F1451E5.jpeg
071EBF0D-B30E-4735-BD68-5F3BF5EAB069.jpeg
764239EC-A1CA-418B-A786-68C4FA6680B4.jpeg
EBA1D531-58C9-48CE-B1C4-DF62EDE360BF.jpeg

Here is the big job, running the power from BJ’s transformer all the way up to the chargers right next to existing lines and a gas main. The directional boring machine is on site and ready to go to work. This may take longer that Tesla’s build out. Anyone going by keep tabs on this machine and it’s progress.

Attachments

• 0B18955D-C714-4501-9B5C-7FAC636CF73D.jpeg
    0B18955D-C714-4501-9B5C-7FAC636CF73D.jpeg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1E119D62-0532-4050-9DBF-72E9293CF6A1.jpeg
    1E119D62-0532-4050-9DBF-72E9293CF6A1.jpeg
    774.4 KB · Views: 71
I have to agree with @mociaf9 with his disagree on post # 166 above. It is not right to go into the fenced in area and mess with the drawings for whatever purpose. Even if replaced correctly. The fencing is there for a reason. If you can see if from the outside it's fair game. Technically its trespassing and the contractor or even Tesla would be within their rights to pursue.

Just my thoughts...

Last edited:
I have to agree with @mociaf9 with his disagree above. It is not right to go into the fenced in area and mess with the drawings for whatever purpose. Even if replaced correctly. The fencing is there for a reason. If you can see if from the outside it's fair game. Technically its trespassing and the contractor or even Tesla would be within their rights to pursue.

Just my thoughts...
Besides being dumb for the obvious reasons you mentioned, it was extra dumb in this particular instance because the site plans are openly available online with just a bit of searching. No petty crime needed. Plus it's counterproductive to the general effort of identifying superchargers. The more people do stupid stuff like that, the more Tesla will push harder on their contractors to keep stuff buttoned up. That turns the normally okay "visiting" owners into a bigger nuisance for the work crews and contractors and recharacterizes the relationship between them and those owners as adversarial. Meaning they'll be even less likely to give out information, etc.

Attachments

• Frederick_MD_SpC_Site_Plan.pdf
    926.5 KB · Views: 56
Hmmmm..

I would have thought they would have done all the concrete work at one time based on what we saw with the form work. Maybe this won't be a long drawn out wait for the utility. It is Potomac Edison (old Allegheny Power). Did you see any boring work for that long run?