Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree, Frederick was the topic.

Some other thoughts about this location.

There are not a lot of 24 hour bathroom/amenities options for this location. There is a Sheetz and WaWa down the road (about .5 miles in each direction), but you will have to cross a boulevard, and deal with some interesting folks in the late hours of the night/morning. During the day or normal restaurant business hours, there are quite a few options with many, many restaurants and the FSK mall next store.

The old Tilted Kilt was across the street and has since been shut down, to be replaced by a Buffalo Wings type of place. That's unfortunate about the Tilted Kilt - at least for the men or women that like that kind of environment.

As far as the increase in charging for Superchargers, I think that is a good thing. Those superchargers that Tesla has deployed is HUGE value to their eco-system, and that has given them a leg up on the competition for inter state and longer travel needs. This will probably get them a lot of early market share that will hold for a good amount of time. I don't mind paying as needed when traveling a longer distance. I think the cost is now 33 cents per Kw. That would be $33 for a full charge on a 100kw battery. Not that bad for long haul travel.

What you are calling a Boulevard and Street is just the parking lot road and the chargers are right next to a signal. So crossing shouldn't be a problem any time other than the Christmas rush.

One problem with walking more than a few feet to a restaurant is when it is raining. I just did a 500 mile trip mostly in the rain and had to sit in the car at one charger because it was too far to restaurants by walking.

As for the Tilted Kilt, I went once to see what it was about and I've genuinely never been in a seedier restaurant that didn't have a big sign over it saying "Restaurant".

Construction update: sitting in the FSK Mall parking lot - absolutely no activity yet.

Did you notice if there was any Miss Utility markings yet? I think that would give us an idea that it's close.

Edit.. actually I just checked the Miss Utility site and found no locate requests yet for that location.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Thinkje
Telling you my crystal ball says June.

Tysons is just sitting there with no movement since when ever. they could use the 40 stalls there as many Tesla's are driving around the area. Probably waiting on a larger pay to use market.

I wish both of them were under construction, but I just don't see either one moving.

Gnuarm I was in the same boat as you last weekend. I was losing 50% of the charge to heat driving up to Frederick when it was 7 degrees out there. Lucky I could charge otherwise I was going to run to Gaithersburg to get a charge.

Reactions: Big Earl
Telling you my crystal ball says June.

Tysons is just sitting there with no movement since when ever. they could use the 40 stalls there as many Tesla's are driving around the area. Probably waiting on a larger pay to use market.

I wish both of them were under construction, but I just don't see either one moving.

Gnuarm I was in the same boat as you last weekend. I was losing 50% of the charge to heat driving up to Frederick when it was 7 degrees out there. Lucky I could charge otherwise I was going to run to Gaithersburg to get a charge.

I don't want to off topic post, but let me reply to the issue briefly. I just did some calculations that show my typical highway usage is around 20 kW. The cabin heater is supposed to be 5 kW. So even on full blast it is only a quarter of the usage as the car and really shouldn't be anywhere near a 50% drain. I guess I should assume you were speaking in hyperbole.

In contrast, my drive back from NC was in 60-70 degree weather. No noticeable dip in range observed although a <184 mile trip did manage to use 70% of my battery.

I'll be headed back to Frederick this weekend. I guess I shouldn't expect the Superchargers to be up an running by then? <grin>

When you say June, do you mean completion or starting date?

I don't want to off topic post, but let me reply to the issue briefly. I just did some calculations that show my typical highway usage is around 20 kW. The cabin heater is supposed to be 5 kW. So even on full blast it is only a quarter of the usage as the car and really shouldn't be anywhere near a 50% drain. I guess I should assume you were speaking in hyperbole.

In contrast, my drive back from NC was in 60-70 degree weather. No noticeable dip in range observed although a <184 mile trip did manage to use 70% of my battery.

I'll be headed back to Frederick this weekend. I guess I shouldn't expect the Superchargers to be up an running by then? <grin>

When you say June, do you mean completion or starting date?

I assume you saw this article in Electrek yesterday.

Study shows electric cars lose 41% of range in ‘icy temperature’, Tesla disputes the claim

Tesla is disputing, but I was forced to run my defrosters for the entire trip and it will kill the battery. I must have a moisture leak in the car that fogs up the entire car forcing me to run the defrosters at 11 full heat costing me 10 miles right off the bat. I can throttle back but still must run temp above normal when it happens. Which it has 4 times now. So the article is correct if you are not prepared or preheated, including the battery temp. the car is always trying to catch up. If you plan ahead and can preheat the car it is not true. That little prep time makes a big difference in range. I did the same when I was in Mass last week with 10 degree weather. I preheated the car real good and then had little effect when I was driving. I've seen readings as high as 560 and dropped yesterday down to 260.

Back to the thread June is the opening date plus or minus. it was delayed from last November.

Study shows electric cars lose 41% of range in ‘icy temperature’, Tesla disputes the claim

Tesla is disputing, but I was forced to run my defrosters for the entire trip and it will kill the battery. I must have a moisture leak in the car that fogs up the entire car forcing me to run the defrosters at 11 full heat costing me 10 miles right off the bat. I can throttle back but still must run temp above normal when it happens. Which it has 4 times now. So the article is correct if you are not prepared or preheated, including the battery temp. the car is always trying to catch up. If you plan ahead and can preheat the car it is not true. That little prep time makes a big difference in range. I did the same when I was in Mass last week with 10 degree weather. I preheated the car real good and then had little effect when I was driving. I've seen readings as high as 560 and dropped yesterday down to 260.

Back to the thread June is the opening date plus or minus. it was delayed from last November.

I swear I don't get how the cabin heater can sap the range much. It can't be running at 5 kW or it would run me out of the car. 5 kW is a LOT of heat. My problem is it doesn't matter what I set the heat to it doesn't warm the cabin. It will keep the windows clear though.

I'll be headed up to Frederick later and it is supposed to get cold again, snow even in Frederick Sunday night through Tuesday. It would be a good time to have a Supercharger in Frederick, but I should be able to make due with the one in Hay Market.

Tesla can dispute it all they want, but the fact is that electric cars can consume double the EPA rating in sub-zero, snowy conditions (note I say sub-zero, not 20F). This isn't unique to Tesla. I see the same increase in consumption in our plug-in hybrid and in our Fiat 500e. Interestingly, the little Fiat's consumption numbers are almost identical to our dual motor Model 3 in all conditions.

Man, I so need this charger. I was in Frederick and had meetings and needed a good charge. I had to drive to Gaithersburg anyway for one of the meetings so I expected to charge there. AsI left Frederick I checked the utilization knowing this charger sometimes fills all 12 stalls - it was half full, so I thought I was good. When I pulled in just before 1PM there were no stalls left! I waited a bit and a couple other Teslas prowled by looking for a charge. When another Tesla joined me in the wait line I figured I should cut my losses, get to the meeting and leave early instead of waiting who knows how long since half these cars pulled in less than 20 minutes ago. On returning there were three slots open and I got one, but now I had less than 30 minutes to charge. I got up to something around 45% and had to leave.

Back in Frederick I had some errands to run and ended up with 33% when I dropped off my friend. I had an hour, so I drove over to the hospital where they have Clipper Creek chargers. With the 1% I lost each way and only getting a half hour to charge... plus, the chargers only seem to give 23 amps, so after an hour of driving and charging I only added 1% to my battery charge! lol

I now only have 25% left after one more, not so long, run and will have to drive up to Hagerstown in the AM to charge before my meeting at lunch. Gaithersburg is a bear of a drive in the morning rush. It's also terrible after 2:30. I never go that way if I can help it.

A supercharger in Frederick would so help things for me. I'm not sure I can wait until summer.

Reactions: preilly44
Sorry i didn't post on it, but when I was up in Frederick there wasn't any sign of them starting. Not even a paint mark.

When you got to Gaithersburg, what level were you charging at? I stopped by and had over 100 miles and I dont think i got more than 50KW. the place is always packed.

A supercharger in Frederick would so help things for me. I'm not sure I can wait until summer.

Have you tried the CHAdeMO at Mom's Organic? I saw that some have had Tesla specific issues with this charger. I have successfully charged there, although it has been quite some time. I believe the Tesla adapter they supply, may just need a firmware update. If you are up there enough, it may be worth talking to someone at Mom's to see if it can be updated from Tesla.

Has anyone with their own CHAdeMO adapter tried to charge here?

Yep, I charge with my own adapter regularity (once every 6 months or so), latest time about a month ago. -- Peter

Have you tried the CHAdeMO at Mom's Organic? I saw that some have had Tesla specific issues with this charger. I have successfully charged there, although it has been quite some time. I believe the Tesla adapter they supply, may just need a firmware update. If you are up there enough, it may be worth talking to someone at Mom's to see if it can be updated from Tesla.

Yep, I charge with my own adapter regularity (once every 6 months or so), latest time about a month ago. -- Peter

That is what i thought.

Someone that is in the area needs to ask "Mom's" if they can take the adapter to Rockville for an update. I think this would solve the charging issues in Frederick until the Supercharger is ready. The firmware update is free and should only take a few minutes.

Reactions: Big Earl
That is what i thought.

Someone that is in the area needs to ask "Mom's" if they can take the adapter to Rockville for an update. I think this would solve the charging issues in Frederick until the Supercharger is ready. The firmware update is free and should only take a few minutes.

My CHAdeMO adapter does not work and it is updated. I believe Lanny's @Thinkje fails also.

But to be honest I have not tried in about 6 months.

Sorry i didn't post on it, but when I was up in Frederick there wasn't any sign of them starting. Not even a paint mark.

When you got to Gaithersburg, what level were you charging at? I stopped by and had over 100 miles and I dont think i got more than 50KW. the place is always packed.

Once I hooked up I got something over 100 kW. There were three or four open slots and two were paired, so I got lucky.

Charging in Hagerstown is always lonely. There is nothing walking distance other than the outlet mall. I found the food court, but nothing was open other than Auntie Anne's and they only had coffee and not even decaf. lol By the time I was ready to leave they had put out pretzels. At least they had bathrooms and I updated the Plugshare listing for this location.

I tried MOM's several times. The last time it didn't work I spoke with someone who clearly had been told to not bother with Tesla owners. She simply said "It works with some cars and not others" as if I should just go away. Ok, so I did.

The only available destination charger is at Wilcom's Inn, a slightly pricey place that is some 10 or 12 miles outside of town near nothing. I did use is once when we all went out to dinner there. In two hours I got a healthy boost to my sagging battery. But it was clear the charging is not valued by anyone. Heck they couldn't even be bothered to keep the steps clear of ice. Also, the parking is close and not so much of it, so two of the three slots were ICE'd. I feel lucky to have gotten a charge while there.

It's actually pretty pathetic that a city the size of Frederick has paid virtually no attention to EV charging.

Reactions: preilly44
Lanny,

Ok to make things interesting,

1. I don't know what version my CHAdeMO is, I'm working with Tesla to figure it out, but it's not as easy as it sounds. When we figure it out, I'll add that info.
2. I charged at MOMs on December 7th 2018 and it worked great (with my adapter).
3. I swung by today (3/8/19) and charged with both my adapter and MOMs and both worked perfectly for me.
4. My car is running software version 2018.50.6 4ec03ed today.

As before, if anyone is interested in chasing this down, I'm happy to pop over to MOMs and meet someone there who's car doesn't work (I work just a couple miles away), and swap things around in case it helps, and then work with Tesla to figure out the root cause if we don't figure it out.

Peter

Tried with CHAdeMO adapter firmware version 2.0.10 and got error code VE 122 on two attempts at MOM's on Dec. 30, 2018.

Owings Mills said that 2.0.10 was the latest firmware as of May, 2018. Is there a newer version?