Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
00FD0421-6199-4C59-AAEB-1FDD0D653FC3.jpeg
What might be in that trailer???

Sealed and stripped

Look at all of the superchargers under construction north of the Canadian border....is that where all of our pedestals are going??

No - there are Superchargers around the country and in Canada that are awaiting pedestals. I made a list of locations waiting for pedestals on Sept 18. Here is an update of that list. Since then eight have received pedestals and opened, seven have received pedestals and should open soon, and 20 are still waiting for pedestals.
Pedestal status.JPG

Supercharger under construction near me (Salem, Virginia) has been at this same stage (awaiting pedestals) since mid-July. Look at all of the superchargers under construction north of the Canadian border....is that where all of our pedestals are going??
No, they're mostly all waiting for pedestals as well. Whatever the log jam was though, it's breaking up. A bunch of locations have gotten them over the last 3 weeks.

Hi

Congrats! You know about PlugShare app? You will see a number of Level 2 chargers in Frederick area. Maybe works for you - maybe not.

Level 2 is no substitute for a Supercharger. 6 kW vs. 120 kW. It would be nice if they were available enough to charge anytime you are out and about, but on a trip or when away from home visiting, they aren't much good unless you can plug in overnight.

In comparison to the need, there really aren't so many level 2 chargers around Frederick. In general, Frederick is an EV charging wasteland. I did add some chargers to Plugshare recently. They are in a retirement community so totally out of the way unless you are visiting or live there. Four units, no waiting!

I'd like to know what it will take to get Costco to install even level 2 chargers. Many of their stores have issues with parking, so they might end up ICE'd much of the time. I wonder why the large chains haven't gotten on the band wagon. Having Level 2 charging at stores in Frederick would help a lot.

No, they're mostly all waiting for pedestals as well. Whatever the log jam was though, it's breaking up. A bunch of locations have gotten them over the last 3 weeks.

I’m pretty sure the pedestal shortage is somehow related to them moving production to GF2.

Tesla is now making Supercharger V3 and energy products at Gigafactory 2 - Electrek

This article from back in may says they plan to open up more production lines for supercharger components later this year.

I was actually in need of a supercharger yesterday and every slot at Rio was being taken after 1 minute of being open. Can't wait for these to get completed but I'm glad I have a 40 amp circuit at my house in Frederick. Thank you everyone for updating, I'll swing by next week to update the thread.

Should not be long. Frederick is a great SuC location as it is a crossroads city. Should have received a SuC long ago for this reason.

1+

I had to charge at Gaithersburg tonight. All through the drive I watched and it was 2 of 12 free until shortly before I arrived it went to 4 of 12 free. On arrival 6 of 12 were free and I got a slot which gave me 102 kW charge rate. I didn't see any pairs that were both free.

Actually, on this run a charger at Frederick would not have done me any good since I couldn't have made it without stopping elsewhere. But I could have charged a lot shorter and then charged in Frederick the next day. While being able to charge in Frederick will be a boon in terms of convenience, my present two charge round trip will likely turn into a three charge trip this winter. So even if I charge at home, I'll likely need to charge in Frederick twice in order to do the local driving and the return trip.

Looks like I have to bring an ICE car for my Endurance event this weekend. Was hoping to have the Frederick SC ready this weekend.
You could always charge in Hagerstown Supercharger.. It's only 25 miles away from the impending Frederick Supercharger. If you ar coming from Harleysville, PA, you could take the PA turnpike to 81 to 70. You would pass by the Hagerstown Supercharger on you way to Frederick and back home.