TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger - Fredericksburg, TX

Discussion in 'Texas' started by BerTX, Apr 25, 2017.

1. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

One of the surprise proposed locations listed by Tesla for 2017 construction is Fredericksburg, TX. It is an obvious choice for those heading West from Austin, allowing travel on 290 to hook up with I-10 just south of Junction. It's about 140 miles from Austin to Junction, so a stop between makes sense.

Fredericksburg is also, of course, quite a nice destination itself. Being able to travel easily round trip from population centers would be a regular trip for many.

So any ideas on a likely location? There is some existing street charging there, with more spaces in that same location for Superchargers. Perhaps the city will be supportive and allow more slots to be used there, as it is very convenient to local restaurants and businesses, as well as relatively close to public restrooms (although I don't know if they are open 24/7). If they want to go with the hotel locations, there are several of the usual suspects located about a mile from 290.

My money is on a location near or at the existing L2 charger on Austin Street.

• Like x 1
  2. AmpedInAustin

AmpedInAustin Member

Would be nice for road trips to enchanted rock.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

My money is not. In 2013 Tesla offered two free HPWCs to the city of Fredericksburg, at the encouragement of the Austin/San Antonio owners group, to make Tesla tourism convenient. This was even before Tesla formally started a destination charging program (and HPWCs were a lot more expensive then). Installation was going to be funded by a local nonprofit, the city, and Tesla owners. The city declined the free HPWCs because they only charge Teslas and not other EVs, even though no other EV existed with the range to reach there from the nearby cities of Austin or San Antonio. They decided to buy the usual 30A ChargePoint stations. At that point the Tesla owners group staged an intervention and told the city we wouldn't help fund installing such low powered stations, and suggested the Clipper Creek high amp J1772s. The outcome is what you see on Austin St. now. They were actually going to be in a parking lot at the courthouse but city vs. county politics happened and Austin St. was chosen. So no, I don't expect to see Tesla superchargers on city streets or parking lots.

4. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Yeah that sounds more like Tesla will have trouble getting a permit wherever they decide to put it.

5. JasJ

JasJ Member

Anyone have any news on Fredericksburg Supercharger? Driving that way in a couple of months and hoping for progress.