Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fredericksburg, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
One of the surprise proposed locations listed by Tesla for 2017 construction is Fredericksburg, TX. It is an obvious choice for those heading West from Austin, allowing travel on 290 to hook up with I-10 just south of Junction. It's about 140 miles from Austin to Junction, so a stop between makes sense.

Fredericksburg is also, of course, quite a nice destination itself. Being able to travel easily round trip from population centers would be a regular trip for many.

So any ideas on a likely location? There is some existing street charging there, with more spaces in that same location for Superchargers. Perhaps the city will be supportive and allow more slots to be used there, as it is very convenient to local restaurants and businesses, as well as relatively close to public restrooms (although I don't know if they are open 24/7). If they want to go with the hotel locations, there are several of the usual suspects located about a mile from 290.

My money is on a location near or at the existing L2 charger on Austin Street.

Reactions: RichardD
One of the surprise proposed locations listed by Tesla for 2017 construction is Fredericksburg, TX. It is an obvious choice for those heading West from Austin, allowing travel on 290 to hook up with I-10 just south of Junction. It's about 140 miles from Austin to Junction, so a stop between makes sense.

Fredericksburg is also, of course, quite a nice destination itself. Being able to travel easily round trip from population centers would be a regular trip for many.

So any ideas on a likely location? There is some existing street charging there, with more spaces in that same location for Superchargers. Perhaps the city will be supportive and allow more slots to be used there, as it is very convenient to local restaurants and businesses, as well as relatively close to public restrooms (although I don't know if they are open 24/7). If they want to go with the hotel locations, there are several of the usual suspects located about a mile from 290.

My money is on a location near or at the existing L2 charger on Austin Street.
My money is not. In 2013 Tesla offered two free HPWCs to the city of Fredericksburg, at the encouragement of the Austin/San Antonio owners group, to make Tesla tourism convenient. This was even before Tesla formally started a destination charging program (and HPWCs were a lot more expensive then). Installation was going to be funded by a local nonprofit, the city, and Tesla owners. The city declined the free HPWCs because they only charge Teslas and not other EVs, even though no other EV existed with the range to reach there from the nearby cities of Austin or San Antonio. They decided to buy the usual 30A ChargePoint stations. At that point the Tesla owners group staged an intervention and told the city we wouldn't help fund installing such low powered stations, and suggested the Clipper Creek high amp J1772s. The outcome is what you see on Austin St. now. They were actually going to be in a parking lot at the courthouse but city vs. county politics happened and Austin St. was chosen. So no, I don't expect to see Tesla superchargers on city streets or parking lots.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: rafacq and XHabjab
Not under construction yet, not even a site identified as far as anyone knows, so there’s no chance for Thanksgiving. Remember Tesla’s “coming soon” maps have always been more aspirational than informational. There are two high amp (48A) J1772s near Marktplatz which you might find helpful. Download the MobileNOW app and sign up ahead of time because that’s how you pay for them. These Clipper Creek stations were funded in part by contributions from early Model S owners in Austin and San Antonio after we staged an intervention to stop the city from installing overpriced and underpowered (30A) ChargePoints as they had planned.

Reactions: AlanJ and DriverOne
Not under construction yet, not even a site identified as far as anyone knows, so there’s no chance for Thanksgiving. Remember Tesla’s “coming soon” maps have always been more aspirational than informational. There are two high amp (48A) J1772s near Marktplatz which you might find helpful. Download the MobileNOW app and sign up ahead of time because that’s how you pay for them. These Clipper Creek stations were funded in part by contributions from early Model S owners in Austin and San Antonio after we staged an intervention to stop the city from installing overpriced and underpowered (30A) ChargePoints as they had planned.
And if you use those great charging points, be sure to read the directions posted on the EVSE!

Not a supercharger, but found a Tesla charger at a BnB just off Austin St. This is according to their Trip Advisor:

Sugarberry Inn is a 100% non-smoking property; we do not accept pets or children under 16. Now offering breakfast on-site every day and a Tesla charging station (for guests of Sugarberry Inn or by reservation only).

Not a supercharger, but found a Tesla charger at a BnB just off Austin St. This is according to their Trip Advisor:

Sugarberry Inn is a 100% non-smoking property; we do not accept pets or children under 16. Now offering breakfast on-site every day and a Tesla charging station (for guests of Sugarberry Inn or by reservation only).
That one has been there for a while, and is on Plugshare.