Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger Free Miles Expiration ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
So the Tesla faq states that the miles expire after 6 months if not used. But we've seen that sometimes, like during the pandemic Tesla extends the date at their discretion.

Likewise if you get more miles added to your account the expiration date extends in the loot box. However does it extend ALL the miles? Or do the original miles still expire at 6 months regardless? Does anyone have any firm experience?

It would seem odd that if you buy a new car, or get a new referral, that date just continues to extended forever 6 months at a time as long as you don't use 100% of the miles.

I mean some of these people that have dozens or hundreds of referrals must have decades on their expiration date.

I bring this up since it's missing from the faq and seems like something that have more specifics. IE each 1000 miles expire at each 6 months, or expiration date can't exceed 5 years, or something?

I don’t have an answer to your questions but would like to tack on mine. In Hawaii there are no superchargers and obviously no way to use the miles. Yet the islands have plenty of Teslas, and assuredly many drivers have received referral miles. Have folks in Hawaii given up on their referral miles, upon expiration? Or has Tesla been extending the dates?

So the Tesla faq states that the miles expire after 6 months if not used. But we've seen that sometimes, like during the pandemic Tesla extends the date at their discretion.

Likewise if you get more miles added to your account the expiration date extends in the loot box. However does it extend ALL the miles? Or do the original miles still expire at 6 months regardless? Does anyone have any firm experience?

It would seem odd that if you buy a new car, or get a new referral, that date just continues to extended forever 6 months at a time as long as you don't use 100% of the miles.

I mean some of these people that have dozens or hundreds of referrals must have decades on their expiration date.

I bring this up since it's missing from the faq and seems like something that have more specifics. IE each 1000 miles expire at each 6 months, or expiration date can't exceed 5 years, or something?
I bought my M3 in June. Not going on trips so didn't get a chance to supercharge until today. I was in the neighborhood of a supercharger so I decided to have lunch and pack in some of the 1000 free miles I got by using a cousin's referral code. After I charged, I discovered that they charged my $4. I feel like I've been cheated.

I bought my M3 in June. Not going on trips so didn't get a chance to supercharge until today. I was in the neighborhood of a supercharger so I decided to have lunch and pack in some of the 1000 free miles I got by using a cousin's referral code. After I charged, I discovered that they charged my $4. I feel like I've been cheated.

You might need to double check that. The first time I used my free miles I thought the same thing. It was actually just an accounting entry showing what I used (and would normally be billed) but the miles in my account went down relative to the dollar amount reflected as billed and I never received a charge to my credit card.

You might need to double check that. The first time I used my free miles I thought the same thing. It was actually just an accounting entry showing what I used (and would normally be billed) but the miles in my account went down relative to the dollar amount reflected as billed and I never received a charge to my credit card.
Thanks, that's what must have happened. When I looked at the episode in the app on my phone, I saw that the miles were taken off the free miles that are going to disappear in December. Too bad there's a pandemic. I like car trips, but I can't get too enthusiastic about catching COVID-19.

I understand that Tesla can't subsidize free electricity for everyone who lives near a Supercharger. But for those of us who bought our Teslas during the pandemic, helping Tesla to show a profit when other car companies weren't selling many cars, there should be an extension of the time frame for our free thousand miles of supercharging until such time as we can actually go places and get the opportunity to benefit from the thousand free miles of supercharging.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: TonyJag and emchen