Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Freeport, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pic on Facebook today of ALL 8 stalls full at the Freeport SC but only one Models S. I have to charge there Sunday for a trip to and from Southern Maine. If I have to wait, they’ll have to listen to the TSO.

I wouldn’t pick FP over Augusta, especially on a weekend coming up on Christmas, but the route requires it this time.

Could you link the facebook pic? Thanks

Sigh, 7 of 8 ICEd is sad. Really the only thing to do is take a picture and find a LLBean manager and let them know. Unlikely they will do anything with the cars there but the more it's reported the more likely they will proactivly do something (additional signage, etc...). Of course a courtious conversation with the offenders when they return can also help, 5 of those had ME license plates so they're likely friendly and perhaps interested in learning about your fancy car too.

We too experienced ICE’ing. One spot ICE’d around 8p on 12/23 and two cars, taking up three supercharger spaces, mid-day on 12/26. When I thanked the checkout girl at Beans for the superchargers, she grumbled that employees didn’t like losing the spaces because they used to park in them and now they see them mostly empty.

The location is a godsend for us as we travel to our daughter in Damariscotta, plus the location is way more fun to hang out or eat at than typical supercharger locations.

I’m really glad its there, especially in winter with shorter ranges, but I agree ICE’ing is likely to remain a problem during busy shopping times. That adds a little unwelcome tension during peak hours since you can’t rely on the car’s “stalls available” data to know there’ll be room.

Headed to Maine coast tomorrow and my route has me with pretty low charge by the time I get to Freeport. Between iced spots, the summer, and lots more Tesla on the road, what do you think I'll have to wait for a spot? What's it like at the charger these days for those who have used it recently?

I love the Freeport chargers for being pretty and close to great shopping and good restaurants, but I joke that they are the most expensive in the country because I always end up spending money at Bean’s. If you’re worried about being ice’d and having little left in the “tank”, then supercharge earlier at the Kennebunk superchargers. While they are soulless, they get the job done. Then you can top off or not in Freeport or Augusta depending on your destination. Have a nice time. There is a destination charger at the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland that is not listed by Tesla but is listed on Plugshare.

• Helpful
Reactions: jlv1 and mikevbf
Is it me?
Pulled into 4b on the heels of a Model S and got no more than 62kW and quickly less. Moved to 1a at 50% and got my usual max 92%. 85F. Couple other Teslas plugged in but not on 4a.
Nice to see a Model X parked in a regular space nearby. Also three hybrids on the a few of the AC chargers

Here is my LL Bean dilemma. Perhaps you can help me solve it.

When we visit Freeport, we’re there for much of the day. I have two charging options. In Option 1, I can hit the Supercharger, visit LL Bean for a 30 minutes or so and then head back to the car when I receive the “charge complete” text and, to avoid idle fees, move it to an empty non-EV spot (which, this time of year, is usually) located far from stores and restaurants. (And note the $8 to $10 Supercharger fee as well). OR, with Option, 2, when I arrive, I simply back into one of the Level 2 spots graciously provided by LL Bean, plug in and charge for free at 30 amps while I spend a nice afternoon with my wife browsing LL Bean and other shops, have lunch at one of Freeport’s great restaurants, enjoy an ice cream cone from one of the mobile carts located in town and watch the tourists go by. (I’m a Mainer and yes, I do enjoy watching people from away while they explore Freeport). With Option 2, when we’re ready to head home, we return to a car which has, by now, received a substantial charge. I can then either top off at the supercharger if necessary, or simply head for home if there are enough electrons to make the trip.

Obviously, Option 1 is the polite choice. But with Option 2, I can’t think of a better way to spend a fine Maine summer day AND charge my Model 3 for free, plus I avoid a long walk to and from a remote parking lot which can be hard on my seventy year old knees and hips. However, I feel a little guilty not using the supercharger. Even worse, many of the Level 2 spots are often ICEd, so if I charge there, I may be denying a Bolt, Volt, Leaf or other EV a charging opportunity if I and ICE drivers fill up the spots. (Note that I have never heard of the eight Level 2 slots being filled by EVs only—they are ICEd).

So that’s my dilemma. Which option would you, as a contentious Tesla driver, choose—Option 1 or Option 2?

Last edited: