Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fremont, CA - 47400 Kato Rd (not completed, V3 test site Mar 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0954.JPG

Zoom in to the center. There are construction job trailers (standard temporary construction offices you see on most medium and large projects) that weren't there before. Activity is going on somewhere on the site. Literally lots of possibilities.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
I dont know if anyone else has noticed, but there is a lot of activity currently at this sight. Constuction is rampant and the exterior of the building has been painted with white/red Tesla colors. The timing being immediately before the Model 3 unveil does bring up questions.

My bet is that the sales/ delivery will be moved to this location from the factory. The factory store already has been having issues deivering S and X because of spatial constrants and it's just difficult to shuttle people in and out of valuble factory real estate. Also with the influx of Bay Area Model 3 reservations, a large location such as this can serve as a regional hub.

Finally, the location is prime for a gallery/store as it is directly visible from 880 and is right off the exit.

Reactions: Fiver
Moderator note: some posts about route planning and new Superchargers in the southwest US were moved to the appropriate forum.

Please use this thread to discuss issues related to the Fremont #2 Supercharger. That way the thread stays useful for those wishing updates and information about that Supercharger location. Thank you.

Yes, there is much speculation that all Fremont deliveries will be at the new location away from the factory ... makes sense :cool:

Makes sense to a degree. That's a lot of vehicles to transport across town, which isn't exactly cheap or efficient. Certainly the existing infrastructure at the factory can't handle M3 volume, so something had to be done either way--maybe Fremont #2 was the best overall solution.

Now, if the cars could all drive themselves to the new delivery center...

Reactions: EVie'sDad
Makes sense to a degree. That's a lot of vehicles to transport across town, which isn't exactly cheap or efficient. Certainly the existing infrastructure at the factory can't handle M3 volume, so something had to be done either way--maybe Fremont #2 was the best overall solution.

Theoretically, the governments could allow Tesla a waiver for doing exactly that. It's 1.7 miles on only 1 road, with 4 turns (including the 2 onto and off of the road, and 2 to stay on the road since it bends and turns twice to cross another road). It's all one county and all one city. They might even put initial restrictions on it like having a formal motorcade with lead and trail cars and block off cross traffic for an hour a day to have a parade of self driving cars self-drive at 1AM or something exotic and quiet, and slowly relax the requirements over time. It's what I'd do if that was their new delivery center and I was both government and Tesla in today's environment, but I'm not. Meanwhile, they could be less visionary and just bus a bunch of drivers back to the factory after every group of cars being driven to the delivery center. I actually thought the daily (or twice daily) self-driving motorcade would be cheaper, until I considered they could just have the BART shuttle swing around to the other delivery center when there's a group of drivers to pick up.

Theoretically, the governments could allow Tesla a waiver for doing exactly that. It's 1.7 miles on only 1 road, with 4 turns (including the 2 onto and off of the road, and 2 to stay on the road since it bends and turns twice to cross another road). It's all one county and all one city. They might even put initial restrictions on it like having a formal motorcade with lead and trail cars and block off cross traffic for an hour a day to have a parade of self driving cars self-drive at 1AM or something exotic and quiet, and slowly relax the requirements over time. It's what I'd do if that was their new delivery center and I was both government and Tesla in today's environment, but I'm not. Meanwhile, they could be less visionary and just bus a bunch of drivers back to the factory after every group of cars being driven to the delivery center. I actually thought the daily (or twice daily) self-driving motorcade would be cheaper, until I considered they could just have the BART shuttle swing around to the other delivery center when there's a group of drivers to pick up.

upload_2017-4-10_21-1-0.png

couple of random observations driving up N-880 today:

- the old solarcity building on kato (about 3 buildings down from Fremont #2) has Tesla signage now.
- Fremont #2 has a full parking lot now, appears to be construction crew. Some digging near the charging stalls. there was a handful of new S and Xs on the lot too with white plastic covers and all, maybe an overflow for the factory?

Google told me 1.7 miles to 47400 Kato Road.

Kato Road (your blue line) is in a frontage road all the way, without interfering with busy traffic. Here is a Google Maps perspective view of the Kato Road bridge over the Mission Blvd pass through road to 680 (which is excruciatingly busy, but has many other alternatives such as Auto Mall Pkwy and such), and of the frontage road leading up to and away from it, with it intersecting only Warren Avenue and a few driveways and a smaller road (you can see part of the Tesla factory test loop in the lower right, and 880 freeway at the top):
foo.png

As you can see, Kato Road doesn't block any other arterial road except for Warren Avenue, a relatively untraveled road with only a light smattering of small delivery vehicles. Kato Road itself is relatively unbusy.

Last edited: