Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fremont, CA - 47400 Kato Rd (not completed, V3 test site Mar 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody know the longest record for construction of a SC? Fremont #2 just surpassed 325 days...most of the others on www.supercharger.info are averaging about 50 days for construction. One on the east coast is around 110 days, but that is still about one third the time this SC has been under construction.

Anyone care to guess why?

can't answer why, but Crescent City, CA, took 517 days from when the permit was detected by supercharge.info to opening. 473 of them waiting to begin construction.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
I'm guessing they'll equip these superchargers with the "robotic snake" self connecting design, that might be why it's taking so long.

This might also be useful for delivery of the cars, with the new Tesla Vision hardware they'll be able to go charge themselves 20 at a time and drive to the delivery place. People who work at Tesla could just tell their car to go charge itself when a spot opens up and come back to the factory to find a regular parking spot, when they leave the factory they'll just summon the car or use their smartphone to find out where it parked.
Lots of opportunities with the Tesla Vision and the robotic snake chargers I think! Parking, charging, finding your car, etc. could all become relics of the past! It might just go and take a car wash by itself or get its tires changed, who knows ... Didn't Tesla hire that Formula 1 guy with the fastest pit stop ever? So even tire changes could be fully automatic, that should reduce the work load of the service centers and be very cost and time efficient :)

• Love
Reactions: Drewflux
Maybe Tesla is waiting to have the entire roof covered in solar panels before they go any further with supercharger construction here. A roof full of solar panels providing power to the building and the chargers would certainly bring home TESLA energy's side of the equation. Tesla would be walking their talk making this location a showcase of how solar ..... gets it done...100%.

My guess is Tesla knows this site would be instantly overran by locals and is waiting for the paid SC to take effect to try to cut down on the usage a bit... Yeah that's a bit of a stretch considering the thousands of Tesla's out there now with free SC for life...

Jeff

My guess is Tesla knows this site would be instantly overran by locals and is waiting for the paid SC to take effect to try to cut down on the usage a bit... Yeah that's a bit of a stretch considering the thousands of Tesla's out there now with free SC for life...

But the change won't impact any of the people that you are saying would overrun it... (They aren't taking unlimited Supercharging away from the current owners.)

Okay @Ulmo I'm going to hold you to that prediction. :D That would be awesome considering I can drive to Fremont in 40 minutes. Fingers crossed...
Hahaha; I was responding to @miimura 's request that "If we're going to throw out some rampant speculation", so I did some rampant speculation. This was intentionally rampant, so I will be very surprised if it actually happens. Elon throws great announcement events, and that location isn't anti-party, but it isn't picturesque, either. It has a very warehouse feel to it; that entire block is a bunch of warehouses, and that parking lot abuts a huge busy freeway.

Understood, I was just teasing you. ;)

But seriously...it is not too far-fetched to imagine that the next Model 3 event will display the first validation prototypes off the new Model 3 assembly line in Fremont, just a mile or so from the building where all those Superchargers are. So why not do the event in that building? There appears to be much more space there than at the Hawthorne Design Center and event parking would be easier.

Are you saying this because you expect full self-driving to be ready by then, or in expectation of the Model 3 release? (Or both?)

Neither. I say it because Elon wants to demo the cross-country driving trip by the end of the year. (Just like they have the FSD demo video that they published in October.)

FSD certainly won't be available by then, so I expect the Superchargers along the route they select to each have one automated Supercharger bay.