Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fremont, CA - Tesla Factory (LIVE, 4 V2 + 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upthread a link to the permit (to build 40 Supercharger stalls at 45500 Fremont Blvd) was posted, so you can check for yourself, see Accela Citizen Access .

Here is the project description as stated in the permit: “Supercharger Substation and Supercharging Parking, Phase II. Provide anchorage for 40 superchargers and 40 dispensing stations. Provide electrical power to the equipment.”

Thanks - took a look, no change from #163, inspections still need to be conducted. Hopefully soon.

Bump. Any chance this is the first Supercharger version 3 site?
607418A8-6E3C-4270-A754-AEC4CCF50BE3.jpeg

It was for the model 3 event

I can understand the confusion in this discussion, since this thread was originally about the publicly available Superchargers at the factory and then at the Model 3 delivery event we saw a huge number of Supercharger pedestals at a different location on the factory property that have never been made public. And now we have Telsa’s announcement that tonight some Model 3 owners have been invited to a Supercharger V3 launch event, apparently at the Fremont factory, or maybe at the nearby Service Center, we don’t know yet.

If there is a new Supercharger location in Fremont for the V3 stalls, separate from the two Supercharger locations at the factory that we know about, I’ll start a new thread just for the V3 Superchargers. But I suspect they will be located at an existing location; possibly some existing stalls have been converted to the new V3 stalls. We shall see...
Bump. Any chance this is the first Supercharger version 3 site?

Those superchargers already existed at the delivery event in July 2017. This permit was from October 2017 (and from memory, wasn't it accompanied by news articles about Tesla upgrading the existing public supercharger at that site?)

Hmm
I stand corrected, I thought that was the 40 stalls the permit was for

The unveiling invite that went out today said new SC v3 was at Fremont

I am aware
The photo I posted was in response to the talks of the permit for 40 stalls

Now the big question is - do they install something for the Semi? A "mega-charger"? I've always thought that V3 was really intended to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. The main cabinet is 1 MW which supports either 4x 250 kW car chargers or 1x large semi charger (and you could have plugs for both, but only operate the system in one "mode" at a time).

Save money by only paying for the expensive power electronics once, but the charging station has dual purpose. If you had 3x sets of these stations, you could leave 2x (8 chargers) ready for cars and change 1x for Semi when needed.

Reactions: sammyfan711
Now the big question is - do they install something for the Semi? A "mega-charger"? I've always thought that V3 was really intended to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. The main cabinet is 1 MW which supports either 4x 250 kW car chargers or 1x large semi charger (and you could have plugs for both, but only operate the system in one "mode" at a time).

Save money by only paying for the expensive power electronics once, but the charging station has dual purpose. If you had 3x sets of these stations, you could leave 2x (8 chargers) ready for cars and change 1x for Semi when needed.
Exactly. Why has no one else speculated on this?
SuperCharger V3, MegaWatt Cabinet, MegaCharger and Tesla Semi

Reactions: kbecks13

My guess is that they might do this at Fremont, as more of a demonstration, but in general Megachargers and superchargers will be separate.

When Elon spoke at the megacharger launch, he said they would guarantee a particular cents per mile for "fuel" for the semi. To me that suggested that Tesla, for each semi customer, would build the charging infrastructure based on their use case (that being - at-base charging, megacharging, all backed up by Tesla solar and batteries) - only by building the entire lot could Tesla guarantee the cost.

In reality each customer wouldn't have a "dedicated" megacharger but customer demands would decide the initial deployment.

Of course this is just my speculation.

I thought it was obvious that V3 was a MegaCharger that was wired to 4 car pedestals. The Tesla Semi inlet is 4 pairs of big conductors, so it actually looks like 4 vehicles in one huge cable. I also speculate that the Semi is made of 4 separate battery packs with each feeding one motor each. Nice redundant system. If anything fails in one powertrain, you still have 3/4 of the system working.

As others have said, this will not be a flexible system. They will deploy the same charger cabinet architecture at truck stops for Semi and at Supercharger stations for cars. Each site will be dedicated to one kind of vehicle.

Regarding the speculation about a possible Megacharger being constructed here for the Tesla Semi: this thread is about the Superchargers located just outside the factory store. @DS 5/15 stated they were being “replaced”. I’ve been to this location multiple times (but not to charge) and it would be a poor location for the Tesla Semi to charge since the parking area is crowded and busy, and there is no place nearby to unhitch a semi trailer. Why would Tesla put a Megacharger here and displace Supercharger stalls that are heavily used?
Not sure if right thread but note; the Fremont factory superchargers at the store are torn out and apparently being replaced as of Friday 4-26 when I stopped by. Must be going V3.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and kbecks13
Would be shocking (pun intended) if V3 development was separate from the Semi megacharger development program. It would be silly if they weren't sharing backend/tech as much as possible to save costs.

Reactions: Chuq