Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fresno, CA (6709 N Riverside, LIVE 10 Jan 2016, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might actually reduce congestion at Tejon because the charge times should go down there. I won't need to charge as long to get home but instead will only charge enough to make it to fresno and then charge in fresno just enough to get home. anyone who's traveling north(not to the bay area) will need to charge less at Tejon when traveling north.

Perhaps in the case of folks that live just north of Fresno on 99 and can reach home with a charge at Tejon, but I don't see it having a real big impact in that regard. Harris Ranch is only 116 miles from Tejon, Fresno is 146. I'm going to charge a little bit longer heading north through Fresno than I do today going through Harris Ranch. Bakersfield is needed long term, for sure. You have 10 stalls at Harris and I assume Fresno will be at least 8, compared to 6 at Tejon. No doubt Tesla has plans to deal with this. Harris and Tejon are both reaching capacity at peak travel times.

Doc, it is only three miles from Brawley and all the wealthy folks who live near San Joaquin CC. (We are among the poor relations who live only two streets north of Herndon, and not by the golf course proper.) Excluding ours, I have seen four other owners who live between Marks and Brawley, and north of Herndon. And I bet there might be a couple at Lake Van Ness as well!
I guess you're right. I keep forgetting I live in a solid middle class neighborhood :) by choice. Hopefully this will encourage a few more locals to buy and we can get a service center here too.

Not sure why a SC in your neighborhood is a deciding factor for purchase.

One of our factors was an SC 50 miles away (for when we travel going that direction). And on return home, we make sure when we pass the SC, that we have 75 miles of range - or pop into the SC to get us there.

Now we have an SC nearby, but doubt to ever use it.

Her is my reply from Tesla about Fresno in February
Dear Mr. Waterson,

Thank you for your email and feedback. We are actively working to bring a Supercharger to the Fresno area. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Best regards,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

This was my response from them in June:

Thank you for your email. We are actively working on a site in the Fresno area, and we are approaching the permitting phase. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S.

We appreciate your patience, enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Best regards,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Copy and paste obviously but the message in June included working on the permitting phase while the February message didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

One of our factors was an SC 50 miles away (for when we travel going that direction). And on return home, we make sure when we pass the SC, that we have 75 miles of range - or pop into the SC to get us there.

I live in Merced and a supercharger here would be almost useless to me since I can charge at 80 amps in my own garage. The only scenario where a supercharger in Merced would benefit me is if I came home and had to head out of town within an hour or less and didn't have time to charge at home.

Fresno is immensely useful to us. We often visit relatives in Dinuba or Visalia or go to Fresno and drive around doing stuff all day long. A supercharger will make trips we wouldn't have considered now possible. It will also shorten our drive from So Cal or Arizona to home by 45 minutes as we won't have to cross over from Harris Ranch back to 99 just to get home to Merced.

I guess having a Supercharger in your town is more psychological. As stated above by Sorka, it allows for spontaneous travel when our state of charge is lower than it needs to be to reach our destination. In addition, new buyers who previously dismissed buying a Tesla because of charging, might now decide to consider purchasing a Tesla seriously because there is now a Supercharger in their town.. They still have the ICE mentality about filling up the tank when the fuel gauge is low. They are ignorant to the benefits of plugging in at home.

Any signs of action at the site?

Nope, not as of 1:15 Tuesday, 15 September 2015. My opinion and solely my opinion: Construction will not commence until mid-to-late 4th quarter of this year. I think there will be another surge domestically like last year starting in November with a bunch of locations lined up, bids received and construction crews arranged to go from place to place.

Nope, not as of 1:15 Tuesday, 15 September 2015. My opinion and solely my opinion: Construction will not commence until mid-to-late 4th quarter of this year. I think there will be another surge domestically like last year starting in November with a bunch of locations lined up, bids received and construction crews arranged to go from place to place.

Any known correlation between when Telsa places a coming soon pin on the map to actual opening? I know there are some exceptions due to local issues. But the fact that the Mall is advertising it and Tesla is as well I would think sooner rather than later.

Any known correlation between when Telsa places a coming soon pin on the map to actual opening? I know there are some exceptions due to local issues. But the fact that the Mall is advertising it and Tesla is as well I would think sooner rather than later.

The vast majority of "Coming Soon" superchargers will be open within 6 months, but it is occasionally over a year.

This charger is long overdue.

The Manteca SpC provides some benefit heading to the Oakhurst / Yosemite area. I have done the Oakhurst trip 3 times.

1) was to reroute through Harris Ranch, which was a considerable deviation from a direct route.
2) Utilized the Nema 14-50 at the Oakhurst Campground. Did,'t mind the $13, but did mind the 7 hours.
3) Went slower than molasses, and just made it, with no deviations.

It's a real oversight, and a real problem that CA-99 has no SpC locations, and Harris Ranch is overtaxed and not reliable.

Scotty

This charger is long overdue.

The Manteca SpC provides some benefit heading to the Oakhurst / Yosemite area. I have done the Oakhurst trip 3 times.

1) was to reroute through Harris Ranch, which was a considerable deviation from a direct route.
2) Utilized the Nema 14-50 at the Oakhurst Campground. Did,'t mind the $13, but did mind the 7 hours.
3) Went slower than molasses, and just made it, with no deviations.

It's a real oversight, and a real problem that CA-99 has no SpC locations, and Harris Ranch is overtaxed and not reliable.

Scotty
OTOH, there are dual-standard eVgo QCs in Salida, Atwater and Fresno now, as well as a privately owned CHAdeMO in Hickman and one at Nissan of Visalia (and one that's apparently temperature challenged at Bakersfield Nissan), so it's a lot better than having nothing at all, even with the $450 for the adapter.

Until Tesla updated its Supercharger map style on its website, they never bothered to update the "coming soon" other than to remove the dot from "coming soon" and moving it to "open." (This was in 2014 and into early 2015.) (And I am only going on my dim recollection here.)

I assume (yes, I know what happens!) that the grey dots on today's iteration of the Supercharger map implies either (a) a lease has already been signed, or (b) their scout team is in serious negotiations, and a lease is imminent.

What we do not know is the timing of the permitting process(es), availability of construction crews, and the unpredictability of the utilities and other wild cards (like the fence that held up Albuquerque for months.)

I also assume that while Tesla sends this construction out for competitive bidding, they might get lower bids from some of the subcontractors if they can bundle several sites together so that the same crew can work on 3-5 sites over several months and are not idle or pulled away to other unrelated projects and Tesla waits for these other projects to be completed.

(I spoke with a crew member at Cabazon last year, and he said that they do a lot of cell tower construction in addition to Superchargers. So, perhaps there is competition with cellular providers for construction crew availability.)

Hey Tesla peeps! I just talked to one of the City of Fresno Electrical Inspectors named Steve Krowder (He is the inspector on one of the projects I'm on). He will be the inspector on the Tesla SC's. Steve doesn't actually know if they are Tesla SC, but IMO the odds are very high that they are....He told me that the chargers are set to be in the parking lot area of the Costco in Fresno @ 4500 W Shaw Ave, Fresno, CA 93722. Per Steve they have not started construction on the site. This makes sense because of it's proximity to the 99.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction - Steve Crowder*

Hey Tesla peeps! I just talked to one of the City of Fresno Electrical Inspectors named Steve Crowder (He is the inspector on one of the projects I'm on). He will be the inspector on the Tesla SC's. Steve doesn't actually know if they are Tesla SC, but IMO the odds are very high that they are....He told me that the chargers are set to be in the parking lot area of the Costco in Fresno @ 4500 W Shaw Ave, Fresno, CA 93722. Per Steve they have not started construction on the site. This makes sense because of it's proximity to the 99.

Hmmm... we have figured the supercharger would be at 6709 N Riverside Drive because Tesla was found as an upcoming tenant at The Marketplace at El Paseo and this map shows Tesla's location with a footprint too small for a store or service center. Perhaps the chargers Steve Crowder knows about are actually conventional L2? Worth keeping an eye on, though.

Hmmm... we have figured the supercharger would be at 6709 N Riverside Drive because Tesla was found as an upcoming tenant at The Marketplace at El Paseo and this map shows Tesla's location with a footprint too small for a store or service center. Perhaps the chargers Steve Crowder knows about are actually conventional L2? Worth keeping an eye on, though.

I would postulate that the Costco chargers are actually level 2 chargers. There was a big petition push this year to get Costco to Install level 2 chargers at all of their stores in CA.

I would hope that they are not superchargers, on the average Costco parking is impacted enough with the store shoppers. I can see Superchargers being ICE'd quite regularly.

Hey Tesla peeps! I just talked to one of the City of Fresno Electrical Inspectors named Steve Krowder (He is the inspector on one of the projects I'm on). He will be the inspector on the Tesla SC's. Steve doesn't actually know if they are Tesla SC, but IMO the odds are very high that they are....He told me that the chargers are set to be in the parking lot area of the Costco in Fresno @ 4500 W Shaw Ave, Fresno, CA 93722. Per Steve they have not started construction on the site. This makes sense because of it's proximity to the 99.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction - Steve Crowder*
This would be an unexpected twist, and one that I hope is a red herring, as this is a much more unpleasant part of town than the Herndon/99 site IMO and no more convenient for 99 travelers.

I received word from the property manager for the location at Herndon and the UPRR tracks:

"The proposed Tesla charging station is estimated start construction in November and will open shortly thereafter. Thank you for your interest."

So, it looks like the station will be ready sometime before Christmas for holiday travel, weather and PG&E permitting.

This location is close to our house, and it is on the way for me to get on SR99. I will make periodic visits starting around the first of November to see what is happening in the planned area. I will take some pictures once construction is underway.

The reply to my request did not include the number of stalls.

The reply to my request did not include the number of stalls.
Hopefully it's in the double digits.
10-12 would be great, would take some traffic away from Harris Ranch, which is the route I prefer when heading south/north

now if only we had any news about Tejon and if there are plans to expand it to at least 12 stalls, 24 would be ideal :)