Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fresno, CA (6709 N Riverside, LIVE 10 Jan 2016, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pics of Supercharger at 6709 North Riverside Drive, Fresno, CA 93722

View of the Supercharger parking area (taken today 5:01PM):
IMG_4526.jpg

Tesla electrical equipment enclosure structure, with clock tower and ATM under construction (taken today 5:03PM):
IMG_1588.jpg

Equipment structure doors (taken today 5:03PM):
IMG_1589.jpg

I link two panorama shots of the shopping area around the Supercharger, so you know what is there:

Panorama #1 of shopping area taken today 5:17PM http://q.net/p/tscf/IMG_4527.jpg

Shows Pieology Pizzeria, Jersey Mike's Subs, clock tower & ATM, Supercharger, Five Guys, GNC, Sally, Dickey's BBQ Pit, Marshalls, Petco, Tilly's, UPS Store, Ultra Beauty, Old Navy, Target. There are more buildings further, such as Ross Dress for Less and Burlington Coat Factory.

The work truck with trailer you see parked in front of the Supercharger is a construction worker who was upset someone pealed out on the fresh paint job; you can see the peal out in the first picture above. A security worker came and asked him questions, too, about the newly opened Supercharger. The construction worker threw out the statement that Tesla is trying to put a Supercharger every 50 miles. Has anybody else heard this "every 50 miles" rule of thumb anywhere else, and is it substantiated?

Panorama #2 of shopping area taken today 5:46PM http://q.net/p/tscf/IMG_1591.jpg

Shows Target, McDonalds, Panda Express, Jamba Juice, SuperCuts, Subway Sandwiches, GameStop, Starbucks, Pieology Pizzeria, & Jersey Mike's Subs.

When you are driving northbound on Ca-99 before the W. Herndon Ave. exit, you can often see these cranes on the right, letting you know the exit is coming up (conversely, if you see them on the left going south, you've gone too far):
IMG_4524.jpg

Then, I had a problem when leaving. Trying to get back to Ca-99, I ran into traffic, as pictured below. What was happening was the mainline Union Pacific railroad was busy, with a very slow very long train, blocking the automobile road (Herndon Ave), which has no bridge over the railroad (!?!?!?!?). There is a concrete barrier median on the left making escape impossible unless you're lucky like me and get to crawl up to the left turn lane, and escape, but then, to where? Skip the next 3 paragraphs for the short answer, after the CPA quote.

The train and track are still blocking the way to Ca-99, and Fresno has very few bridges to separate auto road and rail road traffic. I drove for 20 minutes southbound through neighborhoods and business areas in order to find such a bridge, and finally found one (at Ashlan Avenue), but that did not feel optimal. Hopefully, CPA can explain the best options to get TO the Supercharger FROM Ca-99 when there is a slow train blocking passage, and vice versa. Of course, CPA has already explained that one can go FROM the Supercharger eastbound on Herndon Ave to Ca-41. I did see rail road work crews moving rails around as I was getting back on Ca-99 near the rail yard. In my experience, roughly speaking, these Central Valley area mainline railroads shut down weekdays during daytime work hours for railroad work, then when the work crews go home for the evening, the railroads start up again and run all night and all weekend with revenue service (logistically this seems like a good idea).

Ok, now, I'm fresh back from looking at satellite maps. There is no escape north, since San Joaquin River blocks passage. You can go east on Herndon Ave all the way to Ca-41, OR you can meander Southward through neighborhood main roads down to Ashlan Ave and then go West over the Ashlan Ave bridge over the railroads to Ca-99, North or South. If you have a passenger, they can get online to satellite images to guide you through the various roadways and zoom in to confirm they have bridges over the railroads (remember there is another railroad east (BNSF) that parallels the UPRR by Ca-99). If planning this trip ahead of time, you can print out a non-satellite map including Ashlan Ave, Herndon Ave, Ca-99 & Ca-41, South, North, West, & East respectively, and then with satellite images highlight all bridge crossings and X out any non-bridge crossings, in case this comes up in a tight time spot for you during a trip. Or you can do all those lookups while waiting in your car to leave. The journey South to Ashlan Ave adds about 20 minutes to your trip, but if the trains slowly going into and out of the rail yards right there block Herndon Ave for more than 20 minutes, it would have been worth it.

According to cpa:
As I stated above, it is only about 7 miles on a 50MPH expressway with synchronized traffic signals between 99 and 41 along Herndon Avenue. I agree it is slightly inconvenient going to or from Southern California or the Central Coast if one is going to Yosemite; more if Sequoia/Kings Canyon is the destination. It is about 14 miles (again on Herndon) from 99 to the 168 freeway that takes you to Shaver, Huntington or Edison Lakes in the Sierra. I believe that a round trip from Interstate 5 to Manteca Supercharger and back will take as much time (about 10 minutes) as the one-way drive along Herndon Avenue between 99 and 41. (Ever been to the Normal, Illinois, Supercharger? It is twice as bad as trying to find the one in downtown Vegas!) Had there been decent areas around the 99/41 junction that would have been best for all. But that area is full of gang-bangers and other unsavory types that would make charging at night or on the weekends scary when no one is around. (Remember Barstow from last fall?)

SHORT ANSWER:

So, by my interpretation, 7 miles at 50MPH is about 10 minutes from the Supercharger Eastbound on Herndon Avenue to Ca-41, so just go East to Ca-41 South if continuing Southbound, or go East to Ca-41 North and then get off at Childrens Blvd which turns into Avenue 9 to go West to Ca-99 North. This may be the best option to get from the Supercharger.

If you get off of Ca-99 to go to the Supercharger and it's blocked by train, you could consider going back North onto Ca-99 and seeing if you can cross it at Avenue 9.

You see, Avenue 9 has a bridge across the UPRR tracks, since it is a dinky little hobunk farm tractor road, with no traffic, but a massive multilane industrial retail multineighborhood main expressway interchange with many many hundreds of cars per hour like Herndon Avenue has no bridge and has to wait for very long very slow moving trains moving in and out of the yard to hook up different lengths of train sections.

FWIW, I've been on this section of Avenue 9, and it's a nice little straight farm road, which is enjoyable driving. Central Valley is full of roads like that, but a lot of them go for some ways then stop going where you would prefer they go, so check maps, but enough of them do useful stuff to use. They do increase bug, dust and smell quotient, though.

IMG_4528.JPG

Last edited:
Right now:
image.jpeg

Edit: I took Herndon Avenue to Ca-41 to Children's Blvd to Avenue 9 westward. I like Herndon Avenue: it sticks to good parts of town. A lot of well kept shopping areas (mostly chain stores) all the way to Ca-41. The road itself is all 50MPH, and with the slightest bit of ambition, the amount of time spent at stop lights was not much, pretty reasonable, due to somewhat good sequence timing. I didn't measure, but it felt like 15 minutes. Three lanes in each direction. Bridge over BNSF RR. The only bad part of Herndon is the bridgeless RR crossing near Ca-99, and honestly, I didn't see any trains on it at all today while I was there.

I'm pulled off of Ave 9 now. Busy road. Cell signal good here.

Proofreading, I see I used variable tense, which apparently is more aligned with my meaning than proper grammar.

Last edited:
You were doubtless chatting with someone else. My Tesla purchase is about April or May of this year. I'm just lurking Teslas for now. The only people I talked to were the people taking my orders at Subway and Jamba Juice.

Not sure who it was then, other that he mentioned he was a local...maybe we will meet at a charger after you get 'The Call'!

Ulmo,

A yes, the train. Everyone in Fresno has been stuck for 20 minutes waiting for a 120 car train moving at 2mph to get by. It's part of life. You just turn off the car and relax.

The good news is that the California High Speed Rail project will actually grade separate the existing railroad and Herndon (and all other Fresno rail crossings). I believe construction on the underpass will start late 2016.