Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fresno, CA (6709 N Riverside, LIVE 10 Jan 2016, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never been to this Supercharger. What does the red sign say where he parked?

Sorry to see a USN vet (presumably) behave in such a manner.

He had a sticker next to the star sticker on the rear window that said that he was the proud father of a son in the Army.

He was wearing a very tattered John Deere cap on his head. He disarmed his truck remotely which I thought was odd as the driver's door did not have a working handle (he had to open the door from the inside.) It seemed to me that he was somehow connected to farming. He claimed that he had nothing personal against Tesla, but I thought otherwise.

I think his attitude and beliefs are part of a subculture that runs in rural areas that have taken a beating the past decade or so. They are frustrated that they cannot get ahead in their lives despite their perceived efforts to succeed. Some of their problems are of their own doing, while other problems are imposed upon them by forces beyond their control. Companies like Tesla are perceived to be elitist, and by extension, we owners are too.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
I think his attitude and beliefs are part of a subculture that runs in rural areas that have taken a beating the past decade or so. They are frustrated that they cannot get ahead in their lives despite their perceived efforts to succeed. Some of their problems are of their own doing, while other problems are imposed upon them by forces beyond their control. Companies like Tesla are perceived to be elitist, and by extension, we owners are too.

Well said sir. Fresno is a pretty big city nowadays, but it's surrounded by agriculture, and in a number of ways it still feels like a rural area. (I grew up in Fresno and still have ties there.) Sometimes I feel a little self-conscious about driving my Tesla there, as opposed to my now-ex-Prius. That said I've never had a problem with people (for this or other reasons), and I've had a few good conversations with relatives, friends, and total strangers in and around town.

It's otherwise been pretty quiet in this thread, so I'm guessing there aren't any issues with the Superchargers proper? (Road trip to Fresno coming up in a few days.)

Bruce.

Well said sir. Fresno is a pretty big city nowadays, but it's surrounded by agriculture, and in a number of ways it still feels like a rural area. (I grew up in Fresno and still have ties there.) Sometimes I feel a little self-conscious about driving my Tesla there, as opposed to my now-ex-Prius. That said I've never had a problem with people (for this or other reasons), and I've had a few good conversations with relatives, friends, and total strangers in and around town.

It's otherwise been pretty quiet in this thread, so I'm guessing there aren't any issues with the Superchargers proper? (Road trip to Fresno coming up in a few days.)

Bruce.

Bruce,

As far as I can tell, there are no issues here with the Fresno SC. Nothing has been reported on PlugShare. I used it (horrors!) a week ago after I returned from a road trip to get to 50%.

Reactions: bmah
I reported a similar situation last summer at the Kingman Supercharger. The Tesla phone person guessed that some of the pedestals were off-line. She did say that she would pass along my call to the Supercharger department.

I do not understand how a fixed group of equipment with no moving parts can go off-line.

He didn't say they were offline, just that they were shown as in use when in fact no one else was there. This is a common bug with that feature. When it's in error, it's always an even number of stalls shown as unavailable. It has something to do with the cabinets not communicating properly with HQ.

I suggest that you call Tesla and ask, and let us know what you find out. Thanks. And then hopefully someone local to that Supercharger can check it out and report.

I dropped by around 12 noon today to check things out. I plugged in with 68%, and I received 40-some kW on station 4A. If memory serves, that rate is about normal for our Model S. One other car was there.

It did not appear on the touchscreen with the number of stalls available. It could be that there was no communication from that site to control central.

I unplugged after 7 minutes, and noticed that the decline in charging rate appeared to be normal.

I plugged into 2A at 30% earlier today. It started out charging at ~53kW (which would be about half of what I would usually draw at 30%.) About twelve minutes later the rate had climbed to 75kW with the battery at 42%.

From this one example, it seems that the higher rates ordinarily seen with low SOC are curtailed, but will soon climb back into the range of expected charging rates as the battery fills.

Not sure why this is happening unless there is something wonky just with 2A/B in the charger stack.

I plugged into 2A at 30% earlier today. It started out charging at ~53kW (which would be about half of what I would usually draw at 30%.) About twelve minutes later the rate had climbed to 75kW with the battery at 42%.

From this one example, it seems that the higher rates ordinarily seen with low SOC are curtailed, but will soon climb back into the range of expected charging rates as the battery fills.

Not sure why this is happening unless there is something wonky just with 2A/B in the charger stack.

From my unscientific 'research' charging here over the locations lifetime, I have found both '2' chargers to have been wonky from day 1. I avoid them whenever possible.

Reactions: McManX
Thankfully Fresno is open despite what it says on the Nav.

Attachments

• 3356CA74-877C-4F18-9FC3-67673158B4E3.jpeg
    3356CA74-877C-4F18-9FC3-67673158B4E3.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 73