Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gainesville, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used Tesla's official form last May to recommend the the Paddock Mall on SR200, and Larry may have as well. As a Gator who's attended my share of football and other sports' weekends in the past decades, I too believe the Ocala area would be a much better choice than Gainesville. ALL parking spaces, whether reserved or not, are considered fair game and I'm convinced every SC spot would be ICE'd much of the time.

I actually prefer the Gaineville SC location. I live in Orlando like many other S owners and want get to Atlanta and north of with my 60. For those south, I think Tesla will add a SC in the Orlando area not to mention the Tampa SC coming sooner.

I live in Ft. Myers and would love to be able to visit my daughter at UF in Gainesville in my 60. I think we all have favorite places to go and naturally want to be accommodated. In the mean time I will use alternatives like Non-Tesla charging, enjoy driving my S, and look forward to driving anywhere in the future with minimal restrictions. All of you have valid points and I enjoy reading your views. GO GATORS!

Any movement on this one? One of our Atlanta members heard back from the city that they haven't had any communication with Tesla. Maybe Alachua County or other municipal govt's?

Does anyone have contacts with Alachua County that can check on any movement since the city of Gainesville doesn't seem to show any movement? Could be outside city limits.

thanks, I did not know that....odd choice for a place holder!

I am guessing a database backend is what lets them put in the information like address and stalls and nearby attractions, then the front end is generated by pulling out that data into a pretty formatting. Since the number of stalls is never 0, that entry cannot likely be blank or 0 and therefore it is populated with a default value of 1.

Unfortunately, with the latest update to the Coming Soon tab, it looks like Gainesville is no longer in the plans... The Lake City dot now appears, and the next one south looks further south than Gainesville now - likely Ocala. Bummer.

I spoke with Tesla's "supercharger team" prior to buying my Model S. They PROMISED that there would be a station in Orlando, and another in "Gainesville or Ocala."

Well, I took delivery in early September, and the car has about 2500 miles on it. I was willing to bet more than $100,000 on their promises.

So far, it has meant that I don't go anywhere too far away. Football season is not that far away, and I'm stunned that the "destination" excuse is tossed out as a reason for nada in Orlando.

My choice is to drive from Port St. Lucie to Ormond Beach and then drive through country back roads to Gainesville.

(Or to drive on of my ICE cars and burn up 50 gallons of gas for each football weekend.)

The Orlando supercharger should already be in place. No rational reason for it not to exist already.

Aardvark, while I feel your pain (since I was just down there and I can't tell you how happy I would have been to have Gainsville/Tampa online) they are still "planning" both of those cities (Orlando and Gainesville). I doubt very much that it is Tesla's fault. Woodbridge, VA was delayed SO badly that they installed the temporary charger at Bethesda, MD... So I know a little something about this subject.

What has likely held them up is two things. Site selection and permitting. Both of those likely go hand in hand. They have to not only find a business owner that is willing to dedicate 2 to 10 parking spots for Tesla, Tesla needs somewhere they can tap DIRECTLY into a main high-voltage feed, Tesla also needs some place that likely fits their purchase funds (don't want to blow tons of money just to get the parking spots), and finally they have to get through all the permitting (which is a nightmare in and of itself).

Just so you are aware, the Woodbridge, VA SC was held up primarily by the permitting. I know this because if you look at the mall owner that they installed at, it is owned by Simon. They pretty much already have a partnership with Tesla since they have put in the SC's at quite a few of their locations already. So for a charging station that was supposed to be online before the end of 2013 (it was part of the original east to west and north to south push they were trying for by the end of 2013), it got delayed until it finally came online in April.

Gainseville and Orlando and Tampa have all been on the coming soon for months now. I doubt very much that Tesla is intentionally delaying this and it is very likely out of their hands. Why would they not enable travel to and from and around their most active service centers in the East Coast? (FL has the number 1 service center by volume on the east coast, fyi).

Hang tight, I'm sure it will be online as soon as they can get it. I'm sure Tesla doesn't want you driving your Gas car either :)

I spoke with Tesla's "supercharger team" prior to buying my Model S. They PROMISED that there would be a station in Orlando, and another in "Gainesville or Ocala."

Well, I took delivery in early September, and the car has about 2500 miles on it. I was willing to bet more than $100,000 on their promises.

So far, it has meant that I don't go anywhere too far away. Football season is not that far away, and I'm stunned that the "destination" excuse is tossed out as a reason for nada in Orlando.

My choice is to drive from Port St. Lucie to Ormond Beach and then drive through country back roads to Gainesville.

(Or to drive on of my ICE cars and burn up 50 gallons of gas for each football weekend.)

The Orlando supercharger should already be in place. No rational reason for it not to exist already.

Channeling my wife: Just drive up to St. Augustine, through Jacksonville, then west to Tallahassee and watch a real football team ;-)